1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God Friended Me - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 29, 2018.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The only thread was the pilot episode, so here's a thread where we can discuss any episode.

I really enjoy this show. Sure it's kinda sappy, but I always find myself looking forward to it each week. It probably won't inspire a lot of discussion here, but that's the nature of shows like this. As far as the "God Account", I'm okay if they never explain it or get to the bottom of it.

Love the chemistry between Miles & Cara. I've never seen her (Violett Beane) in anything before, and she is a delight to watch. Very expressive face. Brandon Micheal Hall was in The Mayor, one of the worst new shows of the last few years, although in fairness, the writing (and premise) sucked, not the acting.

Here is a link to the E1 thread.

2. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I'm enjoying the show...

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Brandon Michael Hall was the only good part of the Mayor, really. Glad to see him back so soon and he is very natural here.

I also hope they never get even close to the God account. That is what always ruins shows like this. Keep it a total mystery.

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I decided to give this show a chance because I like Violett Beane. I know her from The Flash and The Resident. She's great.

Brandon Michael Hall? I didn't recognize him. Then again, I only watched two episodes of The Mayor.

I like this show. It's a light, fun, Sunday night offering. Strange timeslot, being sandwiched between 60 Minutes and NCIS:LA and Madam Secretary. Guess there was an opening with the demise of Wisdom of the Crowd.

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Middlebury, VT
    We like it too. For all the reasons already mentioned. It's fun and heartwarming.

Peter000 likes this.
  6. Nov 1, 2018 #6 of 32
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Three eps in and still enjoying it. Little things here and there annoy me but overall it's good.

Like when Miles was watching the autistic boy and went to the music store and the mom came in, the first words out of his mouth should have been "He walked out and you said I couldn't touch him so I followed him here."

And the timing of things is off. It will be late in one scene and the next it's mid day. And they're traversing across NYC like no big deal. I can't imagine everything is happening within a 10-block radius.

7. Nov 1, 2018 #7 of 32
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    God works in mysterious ways.

ufo4sale likes this.
  8. Nov 4, 2018 #8 of 32
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Another small annoying thing in the most recent episode we watched: the one where Fliss is looking for Jim.

She knows these people are helping her look for him and she's totally geeked about it, yet she just COMPLETELY WALKS AWAY in the middle of Central Park while Cara is on a phone call? Really?

9. Nov 7, 2018 #9 of 32
    frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Welcome to TV Land, especially the NYC version.

10. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I'm with you there. It was so implausible that it was jarring.

sushikitten likes this.
  11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Bah. Watch Poldark. 18th century and they flit back and forth to London which is 300 miles away. And stay clean.

It’s TV.

12. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Regarding the geographical distances, I don’t find it hard to believe that it is all in a close area.

It was revealed that the cab driver last week was the same cab driver in the pilot who was driving the doctor who saved Cara]

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You didn’t need to spoilerize that. The thread allows open spoilers.

14. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go back and look at that episode, to see if the cabbie was shown.

15. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    If I wasn't so lazy, I'd ask someone to go back and look for me.

astrohip likes this.
  16. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Did they give us a hint in this episode that the God account is not God?

17. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I know this show is schmaltzy, but I really enjoy it.

I'm not sure how Uncle T comes back from this. I don't care family or not, when you embezzle $600K FROM A CHURCH, it's hard to just forgive and forget. Will he still be an ongoing character?

How... ?

18. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Falken, a master of AI, has been missing for years. And the fire wall for the God account has his signature?

Maybe the God account is the AI program developed by Falken, and what we are seeing is actions similar to the computer in Person in Interest? Instead of spitting out the SSN to the team of the someone that needs help (or is going to perpetrate a crime), it is notifying Miles of someone that needs help.

In either case, AI or God, GFM or PoI, the lack of information is extremely contrived.

Same for Manifest. Same for Lost. And so many others.

19. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Ah, got it.

Agree on the lack of info. This is the type of show where one really can't dig to deep, or expect logic to rule. It falls apart really fast. Luckily, it's easy to gloss over (and overlook) with a show like this. Way too often they make a leap of deduction that is nonsensical, but of course it works. In a show more rooted in reality, it would drive me nuts. In this one, it's just the price we pay to get a cute show.

sushikitten likes this.
  20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I would actually prefer false lead after false lead. Keeping the god account a mystery works better than any solution possible.

weaver, photoshopgrl and astrohip like this.