God bless my DirecTV DVRs (and my HR10 too...)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by terpfan1980, May 12, 2008.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

Minus a few complaints about some very heavy downpours causing some rainfade over the last few days (6 inches of rain in short periods of time would be a sign of seriously heavy rain), I wanted to stop back here and say a big THANKS to DirecTV for my DVRs from them (HR20, HR21 and HR10 as well).

I've been playing with a Verizon FiOS Motorola based DVR for a few days now and in that time have been experiencing nearly daily lock-ups from the box. How anyone could use one of those boxes on a consistent basis is beyond me. For all of the complaints I've ever heard about DirecTV's HR2x series, the Moto DVRs have them beat all to hell and back in that area.

I might be happier with Verizon's FiOS TV service if I was using a series 3 TiVo box, but no way would I want to add the cost of that box to the FiOS TV service price, especially not considering that DirecTV is still my *primary* TV provider. (I get FiOS TV service as part of a triple play bundle and only took the triple play service because it wasn't much more than the cost of the double play bundle with lifeline style TV service added on top of same. The only reason I keep lifeline service, or was keeping it, was because I used it on a Media Center PC to record local channels and avoid some additional conflicts in scheduling with stuff I record over the air...)

I figured I could kick the tires around for a while on the FiOS TV service and will likely keep going (mostly so I don't pay any ETF) with it, but I'm getting very used to having to pull the plug from the back of the unit just to reset it and get it going again :mad:

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I have Comcast for a few reasons. Mostly because I love the service I get on my cable modem and how reliable it has been for years. Also, Comcast has access to Washington channels I cannot get from DirecTV and for solid PBS in HD.

Anyway, I was where you are at with the Comcast DVR. Very frustrated. I took the plunge with an HD Tivo around Christmas and glad I did. I am now using those tuners to handle multiple conflicts (including keeping a DirecTV box tuner free for sports watching live at almost all times) for network shows. I never trusted the cable box and hated using it for watching stuff it did manage to record.

I am happier now. Even though it cost me a few more bucks, I am now USING what I was paying for.

3. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    If I was really considering leaving DirecTV I probably would think hard on the TiVo box. I am quite happy with DirecTV's service/prices/content and not likely to go anywhere anytime soon so for now I'll hold off on investing into another DVR to use on the FiOS side.

My thoughts above are more a warning to anyone considering the FiOS offering that their DVR is far from a usable DVR. The initials, P, O, and S are much more applicable. :D

4. Jun 8, 2008 #4 of 12
    terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    The P.O.S. Verizon FiOS DVR locked up solid again a short while ago. I was watching baseball and/or the NASCAR race on TNT HD and for no apparent reason I look at the TV connected to the FiOS DVR (Motorola box) and see that there's no audio and no picture.

I would say I could set my watch by the thing's lock-ups but they're totally unpredictable. Comparitively speaking, the DirecTV boxes are worlds better, even going back to the days when I was first using the HR20 with much earlier software revisions on it.

5. madbeachcat

madbeachcat Content is King

Jan 31, 2002
    Dyersburg, TN

Advertisements

Amen brother. I had the same thing with the DVR I got from Cableone a couple of years ago. Came back to DirecTV, and that's where I'm staying.

6. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    :mad: Yet again I had the joy of having my Verizon HD DVR lock up while I was watching content on it... right in the middle of the NASCAR race just moments ago.

Pull the plug, count 10, plug it back in and it goes on like it should, but dayum, there's no way this box is even close to reliable enough to consider ready for prime time.

7. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

Hmmm... sounds like they must be using some folks from D* to program their box.:D

The funny thing to me is that you rant and rave about the FIOS dvr on a Tivo forum and at the same time you say how much you love your D* dvr. Yet, there are all kinds of folks saying how much they like the Tivo HD or S3 with FIOS. So, what's the point? If you were really as open as you claim to be, why don't your try one of the Tivo boxes - after all, you have 30 days?:confused:

8. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Whenever you want to pay the monthly fees and out of pocket costs for me, well I'm all over it.

Until then, well, shut it.

... to be fair, were it not for getting the HD DVR from Verizon FiOS, along with their 'premiere' package, or whatever it is called, along with Starz! and Showtime at a fairly competitive price, I'd never have even gotten the service. What pushed me over the top is that Verizon's Voice Wing service totally sucks and left me with little choice but to pay for Triple Play service from Verizon or switch to Comcast. The fact that Verizon offered a free Sharp 19" HDTV to watch baseball games on while using their service pretty much sealed the deal. I get a couple of stations via FiOS that aren't available on DirecTV, but then I have the fun of missing about 30 HD channels that I do watch content on, and even the stations that I do want but don't get are limited to SD on Verizon :(
    What I'm saying is, as soon as my commitment to Verizon is up, I'll probably drop them like a hot rock as they'll be too expensive and not offer anything that I can't get just by giving DirecTV another $5 a month to keep another HD DVR Plus box going.

One last comment to add: there is NO way that adding TiVo to Verizon's service is competitive price wise. Getting TiVo would add another monthly fee, would lose the discount on the Verizon movies package combo with the HD DVR service, and would add costs for cable cards from Verizon, and oh, yeah, there would be setup fees from Verizon, and commitments to TiVo in order to get the best prices. Big friggin whoop-de-doo... I could test it out for a month, but then I'd be out the fees to Verizon no matter what, so it's not a zero sum equation...

9. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Ah, I understand now - cost over quality:p

10. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    The quality doesn't provide enough value and isn't that much better (if any better) at delivering on the basics of what you get a DVR for to make it worth investing any effort in.

(To make it simple enough for some to understand: TiVo makes nice DVRs, but then so does DirecTV, so does Microsoft with their Media Center components in Vista Home Premium/Ultimate, and so do others.... just for basic DVR even the Verizon FiOS DVR box isn't that bad, though it has a bad habit of locking up at random times....)

11. PaulaR

PaulaR New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    I have a Tivo Series 2 with Directv and an old Directv receiver. We just purchased the HD tv's and need to upgrade my receivers.

Question do I keep my Tivo and hope it will work come February with the HD receiver or do I get Directv HD DVR. I don't want to lose my Tivo if I had a choice. Tivo should offer some type of software updates for these units. I would hate to just get the receiver then had to go to the Directv HD DVR. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

12. GurlTech

GurlTech Oh my

Jun 13, 2004
    Either D.C....
    Neither one of your Tivos are HD.
    Trade one Tivo for a DIRECTV HD DVR see how you like it.

(took me a while and I still don't like them but they are growing on me)

With the trade in you can most likely get them to give you the DVR and the install of the new dish for free. (They did it for me)

I kept one of my HD Tivo's to record what little HD content is left on mpeg2 and SD programs only. (plus the harddrive is very large so I get to hold on to a lot of shows.)

My DIRECTV HD DVR's harddrive is to small for my taste. I am waiting on a good deal on a large external drive.