Go Back Screen Delay

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ACraigL, Sep 10, 2007.

1. ACraigL

ACraigL Member

Feb 12, 2003
    I'm using TD 2.5 and love the ability to play back DivX/AVI files. I have many files in the TiVo Recordings folder, and when I display my PC from the NP list, there is a significant delay as it gets all the files from the nested subdirectories and piles them all into a single listing.

This is not only slow, but difficult to navigate.

Is there a setting to display the folders on the PC?

Thanks.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Unfortunately no. And the more video files you have the longer it takes. I have a folder with over 100 DivX files in it and it takes a good 5 minutes to display the list on the TiVo.

Dan

3. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    are you using the Galleon go back plug-in?

one thing i noticed that separate folders video files works best. i.e. each movie has its own separate folder (not subfolder of MyTivoRecordings).

It also seems to load up the NP list faster too.

4. ACraigL

ACraigL Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Doesn't that, you know, kinda suck? Do you think it would be hard to implement folder structure? Seems almost like an oversight to me. I was hoping I was missing something...

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The TiVo software, on the TiVo itself, has some issues with folders coming over the network. Programs like pyTiVo and Galleon use them anyway but they're wonky and can cause strange UI behavior. I'm guessing that the TiVo Desktop team is waiting on the TiVo software team to fix those issues before they implement real folders.

Dan

6. ACraigL

ACraigL Member

Feb 12, 2003
    I was, but I dumped Galleon (which I loved) in favor of JRiver Media Center, due to some network issues. I miss some of the Galleon features, but my music now streams error-free, something that was plaguing me for months with it.

I was really excited about the divx playback with TD, but this implementation is silly.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you're planning on transferring a specific movie/program the easiest way around this problem is to keep all your DivX files in a folder away from My TiVo Recordings. Then copy a shortcut to the movie/program you want to transfer into My TiVo recordings and it will show up on the TTCB list. When it's done delete the shortcut and it will go away from the TTCB list. This saves the processing time as well as making it easier to find the program you actually want.

Dan

8. ACraigL

ACraigL Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Dan203, not a bad suggestion. Folders would be better ;)
    Thanks!

9. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004

I didn't see anyone mention it, but you can "exclude" your tivo folder (PC) from Virus scanning. It can take a chunk out of your browsing time if your scanner pauses each time a file is accessed.

This assumes you have it set up to scan All Files/Folders

10. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    You are all using Tivo Desktop 2.5 Plus, right?

11. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    As of about 4 minutes ago. I just about peed myself when I found out I could kick WINAVI out the window :D

12. ACraigL

ACraigL Member

Feb 12, 2003
    yep 2.5+.
    Not sure what virus scan has to do with it. Care to enlighten me?