1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLOW Season 2 (spoilers) All Season Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by John Gillespie, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jul 1, 2018 #1 of 22
    John Gillespie

John Gillespie Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I loved this season as much as the first!

I did want to hear:
    "You're Killin me Bash"

Would have been great.

The Spud likes this.
  2. Jul 1, 2018 #2 of 22
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I've never seen "Cheers"
    Oh, it's great-it's about this invisible woman named Vera... :D:D:D

John Gillespie likes this.
  3. Jul 1, 2018 #3 of 22
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    This season seemed a little darker to me. I wanted Ruth to quit when Sam treated her like crap. And Debbie still hasn’t really taken responsibility for breaking Ruth’s leg. She did write “I’m sorry” on the cast but that isn’t quite enough. I guess letting her win the crown was her way of apologizing in the end.

Poor Macchu. Being in love with Bash isn’t going to help her any. And Bash’s butler Florian dies of AIDS? That’s a weird thing to throw in there. We don’t see the guy at all during the season but they decide he had to die of AIDS? Plus make Bash bleach the entire house? Harsh. Probably accurate for the time, but harsh.

4. Jul 4, 2018 #4 of 22
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I wanted to jump through the tv and smack Sam upside the head during the first couple of episodes when he was extremely cruel to Ruth and the others.

I liked the kidnapping song.

The finale's battle royale was excellent.

I love the Welfare Queen character. I think it's the best on the show.

I used to watch the original GLOW. That's why I have a problem with Alison Brie's Zoya character. The original's bad guy Russian character was Ninotchka, much bigger, more athletic and more "evil" than Zoya. Alison's characterization of the America hating Russian seemed more like a Monique The Pipsqueak than a Zoya The Destroyer.

5. Jul 4, 2018 #5 of 22
    The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    Welfare Queen was the only cast member who had any prior wrestling experience, having wrestled as Kharma in WWE and Awesome Kong elsewhere.

Chavo Guerrero, Jr. was on Steve Austin's podcast a couple of weeks ago talking about his role as the trainer for GLOW. Definitely worth a listen. As a side note, Chavo's uncle, Mondo, was the trainer on the original GLOW.

6. Jul 5, 2018 #6 of 22
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I really didn’t like the season until the last episode, which tied it all together. I almost gave up on it.

7. Jul 5, 2018 #7 of 22
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I gave up after two. We had watched the first season but I think my tastes have changed and this just feels like old network TV. Ironically which is what they are filming.

8. Jul 6, 2018 #8 of 22
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The final episode was definitely the best one of the season.

9. Jul 7, 2018 #9 of 22
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I watched - it was OK - nothing to write home to Mom about.
    I agree having the butler die of AIDS after not showing him the entire season was odd - I suppose they decided Bash is gay and some writer thought that was a good idea...
    The episode with the "live airing" of a GLOW episode was probably the worst of the bunch. Again - I get what they were trying to do - but if that is what the show was - no wonder it got cancelled.

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    That was actually my favorite episode (but I'm glad they've only done it once in two seasons). I never watched wrestling in the '80s, but I certainly watched other low-budget cable/local independent station programming.

11. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    USA, UP ALL NIGHT!
    hqdefault.jpg

12. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    There was hardly any wrestling!!! LOL

13. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I have to say that Chris Lowell (who plays Bash) is one of my favorite actors (LOVED him on Private Practice and was super pi$$ed when
    they killed his character off
    .. anyway-he is so great on this show-I got a strong gay vibe from his character from day one. I will agree this rushing of the AIDS storyline is clunky, but Chris did a terrific job of playing the fear and guilt and d-bag-i-ness of it all, IMO.

I also loved the "live ep." It was kitschy and fun and no, there was not a lot of wrestling-but isn't that the fun of it? It was capturing a moment in time.

14. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I thought it was interesting how they portrayed a Harvey Weinstein-type interview between Ruth (Alison Brie) and the studio exec, and then how others reacted to it. And the way they touched on the early era of AIDS. I get the impression that Bash might be in the closet, or denying his homosexuality, or just plain bi-sexual but hasn't come to terms with it.

Was the 10th episode supposed to be a series finale?

15. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    It’s Netflix. If they option another season there will be another season.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought the 2nd season was actually better than the first season. I used to watch GLOW (but remember little about the characters). I remember the show was laid out just like the episode where they "did" an episode of GLOW. There's a documentary on Netflix about the REAL GLOW that's worth checking out. I thought the finale was great, a lot of fun. As for BASH, I think they've hinted at him being GAY for awhile without coming out and saying it (which was VERY 80s to do that). I'm in for a 3rd season if there is one. BTW, I think Marc Maron plays the crusty director perfectly. He should be considered for an Emmy.

17. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Marc Maron's acting chops has improved a LOT with time and practice, but I don't think he is Emmy-worthy ... yet.

Regina likes this.
  18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    G.L.O.W. episode from Nov. 14, 1986 featuring Sly's mom, Jackie Stallone, two weeks before her 65th birthday ...

19. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Finished season 2 a couple of days ago. While the season was uneven overall, I absolutely loved the last episode. Easily the best episode of the season.

ronkuba likes this.
  20. lambertman

lambertman LIVE! On tape

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I'm through ep 8 now. Loved the ridiculousness of having Zoya participating in the anti-kidnapping song :)