Glo Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by reidjr, Jul 11, 2007.

1. reidjr

reidjr New Member

Nov 10, 2006

Advertisements

Are there any companys that sell the glow remote and ship to canada.

2. reidjr

reidjr New Member

Nov 10, 2006
  3. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yes.

4. Apr 1, 2008 #5 of 27
    TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

Dec 30, 2004

Advertisements

Glo Remotes are now being sold in Canada by PVR Source
    www.thepvrsource.com

5. Apr 1, 2008 #6 of 27
    ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Better read the reviews of the remote on this site before buying. Many people are not happy with it.

6. Apr 1, 2008 #7 of 27
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    I don't use a Glo Remote anymore because it burns batteries in record speed. The TiVo firm says it has a light sensor that keeps it from doing so (when sunlight comes in windows or when a ceiling light is on), however, I've had two Glo-Remotes and they both burn alkaline batteries in 2-4 weeks (compared to 3-6 months usage of the standard TiVo remote between battery replacements).

7. Apr 1, 2008 #8 of 27
    logicman1

logicman1 New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Carmel, NY
    How about rechargeable batteries?

8. Apr 1, 2008 #9 of 27
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Most reviews will tell you TiVo did a great job of tweaking the buttons on the remote to make them even more user friendly. I have replaced all of my TiVo remotes with the Glo remote. I use my Harmony for myself, but the rest of my family loves the remote. If you have a new receiver or TV it is almost a must since it is a learning remote. Some people complain about the batteries, but in the last six months, I have only replaced the batteries in one of my 3 glo remotes. It pays to use good batteries in the remote.

Btw, you can turn the backlight functionality off if you want to save battery life.

9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    BTW, I have purchased a set of Sanyo Eneloop AAAs for my glo remote. I have had the remote for about 2 months and I have not recharged the Eneloops yet. I love them. They are one of the newer pre-charged, low drain, batteries. They are spec'ed to retain 75% charge after sitting around for a year.

I purchased them at Thomas Distributing.

I also bought two sets of 4-AAs for my camera. That way, when set one is done, set 2 will always be ready to go.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My experience has been similar to rainwater with the Glo Remote in that I only just replaced the batteries for the second time in mine after 14 months so I'm seeing about 6-7 months here. Obviously lots of variables though such as amount of TV viewing time, remote use time during that time frame and lighting conditions while using the remote.

Scott

11. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I love my glo remote. It is powerful enough that I don't have to point it directly at my Tivo as with other remotes. My only complaint is the same as everyone else, it goes through batteries way to fast. Maybe if Tivo had used AA batteries instead of AAA batteries. Hopefully Tivo will be able to tweak this remote over time and improve its battery life.

12. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    The Glo-remote that came with my S3 is on its second set of batteries and I bought the S3 on release day in Sep 06.

I bought a seperate Glo-remote for use with one of my S2s in Jan 07, and that's still on its original set of batteries.

I think much of the "poor life" is from differing use patterns, but getting 2-4 weeks out of a set of batteries sounds excessively like something wrong with the remote (or you sit in the dark watching TV 24/7 :D).

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Even if you sit in the dark 24/7, you could turn the backlight off, so I don't see how it is even an issue that would affect someone's buying decision.

14. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    True, I was just trying to come up with a plausible reason for a set of batteries to last that short a period of time. :D

15. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Again, if Tivo had used AA style batteries instead of AAA style batteries we wouldn't even be complaining about short battery life with the Glo Remote. What were they thinking?

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They probably need the 4 cells for learning and/or illumination. I know my OneFor All remotes with either or both features use 4 AAA cells (except the latest generation, which uses 2x AAA cells, in a learning only remote).
    Using AAA cells would make it manageable, 4 AA cells would be unwieldy.

17. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Not really. If you look at the design of the remote there is plently of room for 4 AA batteries with minor interior adjustments. And weight isn't even an issue. Besides, I think most of use would rather have longer battery life. I for one, have never seen a remote with such terrible battery life. It is freaking ridiculous.

18. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I don't get it. Why does it seem like some folks are having such short battery life......As I noted above, I have had my glo and Eneloop batteries for now going on several months and I have only recharged the batteries once. Is it possible there was a bad run of remotes where the light sensor is always on? Or is it those of you who have "bad life" are using the remote way more than I am.

I just don't get how some can report such bad life and I am getting great life.....

I would love to know what kind of batteries are being used by those who are reporting bad life....

19. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    I am on the second set of batteries and I got the Series 3 when it first came out. I only changed them about a month ago so I figure about 11 months or so isn't bad. I have turned off the "Glo" part of the remote though.