Glee "Yes/No" 1/17/2012 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Jan 17, 2012.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ok, that was a really good episode! I'd actually call it one of the best episodes of the series so far. There was a very good mix of comedy, drama, music, and plot. Granted, some of the songs ("Moves like Jagger," "We Found Love") seemed to be included more because they were hit songs and not as much on their relevance to the plot, but that's typical of the show.

More to the point - if they keep this up, they may have finally found the right balance for Sue. Blunt, but still HUMAN. She actually RELATED to Emma, and was even willing to participate in the proposal sequence.

They seem to have gotten bored with the Bieste-Sylvester-Cooter triangle, for them to just summarily resolve it off screen.

I'm still not quite clear what they intend to do with Sugar (Vanessa Lengies), but she worked pretty well in "Summer Nights." (Although she sounds more like the movie version of Frenchy than Marty. And yes, I had to look those names up.) Speaking of "Summer Nights," did they need to copy the movie version that closely? I mean, there's a fine line between a tribute and copyright infringement. ;)

Some good lines:
    - "Lifetime: Television for Ovaries"
    - "Is that a mohawk, Puckerman, or did someone glue a squirrel to your head?" FINALLY, someone on the show noticed how bad that thing looks!

2. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I also liked it.

I'm afraid for Finn. :)

3. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Loved it. Good Sue this week. And that Rachel person has a nice voice.

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Very good episode.

On a side note,did anyone catch Heather Morris on David Letterman last week? I would like to say Heather is a good actress, but she is just as ditsy in real life.

5. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    She is clearly much less ditsy and it showed on Dave. Much of it is a put on.

6. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Why is she clearly much less ditsy?

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    What a great episode!

I was at the gym and started on a treadmill and put the ear buds in and was hit with "summer nights"....I immediately opened my mouth to sing along and realized where I was and that none of the other sweaty guys or women would want to hear me. Ugh. That was tough.

I am so glad they ended it as they did.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    C'mon.... you should have sung along. You never know... the others might have decided to join you.

And if not, it would make a great YouTube video for someone. ;) :D

9. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    We were in hysterics at Summer Nights - that was a shot-for-shot remake (having watched the movie maybe a million times in my childhood).

10. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Loved "Summer Nights"-and I LOLed when I saw that Kurt was with the girls! :p:D

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was so touching-I teared up, not afraid to admit-that is such a beautiful song...:eek:

11. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Per Wiki, the exterior shots were done at the same HS that Grease the movie used.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    After a quick check on YouTube, and comparing to the recording on my TiVo, the bleachers are *definitely* the same at the same HS, although some of the shots weren't identical (there was one in Glee that included a rather unattractive view of the parking lot in back of the bleachers).

The picnic tables weren't remotely in the same place as in Grease, however. The ones in Grease were in bright sunlight; these were in a covered area.

13. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Funny

14. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Remember, Morris is not an actress by trade, but a dancer - in fact, she just missed making the finals in season 2 of So You Think You Can Dance?. (The only reason she got involved in the show is, she was one of Beyonce's dancers and they needed somebody to teach Chris Colfer the routine for "Single Ladies"; supposedly, they told her specifically not to get any acting training, but to play Brittany "naturally," so her "ditziness" would be more believable.)

15. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I've seen a couple Heather Morris interviews on YouTube where she seems fun but not ditzy. One was a Glee Comicon panel and the other was some speech she gave at what looked like a dance camp or something.

16. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I can pretty much agree with everything said already. I enjoyed Summer Nights completely. The rest of the songs were good.

Did you see the look on Racheal's face when we realized Finn was going to propose? The look of horror on her face was classic. But what does she think is going to happen? She goes to NYADA (or somewhere) and then comes back to Finn's waiting arms?

This is the Sue that is we like. She was snarky and could get a good one liner off, but she was a HUMAN! Her relationship with Becky is great (and who couldn't feel for Becky?)

17. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I agree this is the way Sue should be. A bit of a bite to her but also a real person. They should do more shows with her like this.

18. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    One of the best Glee eps ever. Seriously. I've been pretty critical of the show, but I thought last night's ep was just about pitch perfect. Sue was snarky but not inhuman. Everyone else was as about as nuanced as we can hope for.

And "Summer Nights" was awesome. I loved that they capped it off with Troutymouth raising his hand in the air just like Travolta. :up:

19. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Helen Mirren doing Becky's voiceover was genius.

Sue suddenly being nice made no sense and was completely out of character - which just goes to show the writers are just making it up as they go along.

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    We've seen this version of Sue before for more than a few episodes, such as when she was serving as principal, so it's not unprecedented. And frankly, this version of Sue is more believable than the cartoon Sue they often have on this show, the one that is over-the-top hateful towards everyone and everything.