Glee | "The Spanish Teacher" | OAD 2/7/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Lori, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1 of 33
    Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Ricky Martin!

There needs to be a whole show that's just Ricky Martin dancing to some Salsa music.

Or, better still, an entire network. RickyTV. :)

The rest of the ep was a little uneven for me. Sue was alternately horrid and really vulnerable and human. Will was weirdly mean, and clueless, and ridiculous. Kurt and Finn were adorable. Not enough Finn, though, or Britney.

Did I mention that a hologram of Ricky Martin dancing in my living room would be an *awesome* birthday or Christmas present? ;)

2. Feb 7, 2012 #2 of 33
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    All parts were uneven for me. Sue was the best part of episode, and thats saying something....

3. Feb 7, 2012 #3 of 33
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Meh. Not as good as past weeks, but some nice moments in this episode.

The character rehab clinic continues for Sue Sylvester. Apparently Ryan Murphy got the memo that Sue had become too much of a ridiculous caricature. Unfortunately, I think that this may have been the pendulum swinging a little too far the opposite direction. Still, I sort of liked the moment between Sue and Emma. Who'd have thought that they'd work well together on camera?

Before the episode aired, there were still photos released to the press. Of course, there were people outraged at the caricature that the show was making of the Latin culture. I was amused to see that is exactly what the show was going for. :)

McKinley High is supposedly perpetually broke... yet they apparently have enough money for some truly impressive stage lighting for the auditorium. This week's addition: laser light. I'd guess that was easily about a $10,000 addition. :)

Frankly, the music was just *meh* this week at best. Probably the best was "La Isla Bonita" with the fancy lighting, and Naya Rivera looked particularly good in it. Other than that, it ranged from just average ("Don't Wanna Lose You" - what was with the 70's Lite Rock version of this song?) to downright horrific ("A Little More Conversation" - Just. No.)

P.S. All this talk about tenure in this episode. That's mostly a higher ed only thing, isn't it? I didn't think that high school teachers had tenure, at least the same way college profs do.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #4 of 33
    Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    My husband is a high school teacher and he has tenure, but it wasn't something he had to work for, as I recall. I think it came automatically after a few years. It probably isn't as powerful as what college or university professors get. I think it just makes him a little harder to fire. It is pretty ridiculous that Will would just be a Spanish teacher with no training for that position and is now thinking of moving to History. You can't just do that! My husband is an English teacher and he can't just suddenly switch to math. It doesn't work that way!

It was interesting to learn that Emma writes her own pamphlets. I liked the two-timing ho ones.

Not only did they have the incredibly expensive lighting, but Will also apparently hired a bunch of mariachi players for his number. (insert requisite eye roll here)

I like Santana more and more.

5. Feb 8, 2012 #5 of 33
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Ricky Martin was muy caliente (muy means "very") :D:p Now that he's teaching at the school, maybe he'll be on more! :up:

Agree on the moment between Sue and Emma...Sue was sweet, and Emma seemed truly sorry that Will would not be providing his "baby spunk" :)eek:) to her...

Loved Sue with Becki-"When I saw that (the complaint) was written in crayon, I knew it was either you or Brittany, and you're the better speller!" ;)

I think Santana has been attending the Sue Sylvester character rehab clinic :p:eek:

"Tain't Misbehaving" LOLOLOLOL :D

6. Feb 8, 2012 #6 of 33
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Ricky Martin is not aging well.

episode? fast forward.

7. Feb 8, 2012 #7 of 33
    Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    My dad was a Driver's Ed teacher with no training. He had a teaching certificate, and applied at the local school district and they said, "hey...want to teach driver's ed?" He said, well, no...I'm a history teacher, and I'm not certified. They asked if he had a driver's license...and voila! Driver's Ed teacher.

He taught Driver's Ed for 25 years. Finally got to teach history after they abolished the DE program. :)

8. Feb 8, 2012 #8 of 33
    Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA

Disagree. So. Freaking. Hot. :D

9. Feb 8, 2012 #9 of 33
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Remember, the auditorium was paid for by April Rhodes. Maybe the laser lights were there the whole time, and they just didn't need to use them until now.

But who ended up with the tenure? I am assuming that it was Emma (they teased that it was Sue, but I thought I heard Will say that Emma got it), but she's not a teacher, is she? (If she is, then what does she teach?)

Q: How do you tell the difference between Smash and Glee?
    A: On Smash, the dancers get credited.

10. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    A cheer leading coach discussing masturbation habits with underage male students was just disturbing! Requesting they give her their sperm equally disturbing. This is not a show to let your children watch and that's too bad because some of the themes (like anti-bullying and tolerance) would appeal to young people.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Emma got it... but you're right, she's not a teacher as far as we can tell. She's the school's guidance counselor.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    ...as if the TV-14 rating didn't tell parents that already?

13. Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    I'll admit that all I do is FF and try to determine when they're singing and stop to see if I'll enjoy it, but in the last two eps I stop when Nene is on the screen. I have no idea what all the different stories are, but I find I really enjoy Nene. I thought her description of Sue giving birth was hilarious, and "I hope your baby likes eating sand..." was perfect.

Good for Nene.

14. hapdrastic

hapdrastic Swarley

Mar 31, 2006
    You probably liked Sue when she was super-evil then, too. Myself, I can't stand characters like that - they're completely unrealistic, if you act like that in real life you get punched in the face.

15. Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    Nene does act like that in real life. BTW, this is not real life...I hope that's not a spoiler for you.

16. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Yes. And such a beautiful smile!

17. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    The guy that kept commenting on his teeth in his Spanish class was CREEEEEEEPY! Mouth fetish!

The only part of La Isla Bonita that I didn't like was that Santana was out of rhythm dancing, or at least out of Ricky's rhythm. I don't think she learned enough of the choreography for that one.

18. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    "Larry Bird White!" :D:p

19. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    The good news is that I am very close friends with one of his cousins.

The bad news is that she is one of about 100 first cousins, so they are not close at all. :p Yeah, they are Catholics. :p

20. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Episodes like this prove that I still don't understand Glee. They go from a couple weeks of substantive plot developments and engaging music/dialogue to this turd that inexplicably turned Matthew Morrison into a huge ass and made me want to run Jane Lynch and NeNe Leakes down with a bus.

Also, did we ever have an indication that Schuester was this terrible of a Spanish teacher? That came out of nowhere.