Glee "Original Song" (3/15/11, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Mar 15, 2011.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

Yeah, they've had the songs from this episode posted to gleethemusic.com since Friday... and the New Directions songs have been out there for a few weeks, so the songs weren't really a surprise to me. Nor, frankly, was the ending - you had to know that New Directions was going onto Nationals. Still, there is something about the competition episodes that keeps the adrenaline up, and makes the rest of the series (more) worthwhile.

The original songs, at least the ones they performed in competition, were really good! (The cynic in me has to point out: Of course they were... the show hired professional hitmakers to write them.) I would actually have trouble picking a favorite from one of those two. "Hell to the No," Mercedes song, was OK, but Schu was right, not a good competition song, nor was it as good as the others.

I laughed so hard at Aural Intensity's song. That was so cheesy and so bad! I loved the Sister Act nun's reaction, "I didn't even like being pandered to when I was a stripper." Speaking of which, talk about irony, having Kathy Griffin play the judge who a parody of Christine O'Donnell. About the only thing more ironic would be having her play a parody of Sarah Palin. :)

I really liked Kurt's rendition of "Blackbird." (Which, BTW, I believe was one of the songs that Paul McCartney included on a mix tape that he sent to Ryan Murphy before the song, asking him to include in the show.) I also liked the Warblers' "Misery." I was not crazy about "Raise Your Glass" - glad the show finally covered P!nk, but that song was not right for the Warblers.

Plotwise, I'm glad that Quinn finally told Rachel off. It was mean, it was cruel, but I think it finally made Rachel grow up a little. Hopefully the show trusts itself enough to let Rachel's character develop a little bit.

2. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Best Glee Ever.

:)

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I don't visit any Glee websites so I didn't hear any songs ahead of time.

I didn't like the duet song of the Warblers, primarily because Kurt's singing ability is so lacking, especially compared to what's-his-name who sang with him. The executive committee had the right idea to want him to sing all solos.

I liked the Raise Your Glass song, Rachel's solo, and the group song that followed it.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow. I disagree that Kurt's singing is lacking. Plus, his is mostly genuine... Blaine's singing, on the other hand, is heavily massaged by the producers. (The actor more or less admitted as much on recent daytime TV, where he said his singing wasn't all that great, and he described himself as "an actor that can sort of sing.")

5. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL

Advertisements

After several weeks of me not liking the episodes I must say that I really really like this one. I like the songs and liked the story. The show redeemed itself.

I loved the songs that did not make the cut for New Directions. Despite having really cheesy, bad lyrics the music was great. Loved Santana's torch song even though it was Trouty Mouth.

Kurt and the Warblers version of Blackbird was very good and I love the backing vocals on that one.

It was nice seeing Lea Michelle get plenty of room to shine in this episode. You knew she was going to have a very good ballad to belt out by the end of the episode and I was highly anticipating it by the time it finally came around.

6. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Same here.

It was obvious the batch of songs sung in the class room were not going to make it. "Hell To The Know" was my favorite, though. Mostly because it's Mercedes's favorite phrase. And Puck announcing his song cracked me up. "Fat Bottom Girls" might have been offensive. So, he wrote "Big Ass". :D

The songs performed for the competition were good. I liked the Slushie machine with confetti at the end. Good touch.

Yes! It was nice. :)

7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm clearly in the minority so far. I liked parts of the episode -- the original songs performed at Regionals were worthy, for example, and for once i felt like New Directions legitimately performed better than the competition -- but overall I thought it was another off episode in what has been a poor season. I'm afraid this is just what Glee is now: not a very good show, with occasional good moments.

Take, for example, Sue. Ryan Murphy clearly has no idea what to do with his breakout character at this point. The show has Sue literally assaulting someone almost every episode now. How is she still employed, much less not in jail? Sorry, but you can't be willing to throw all semblance of reality away so often and still want moments like the strong one between Rachel and Quinn to carry any weight.

It's as though Glee has completely inverted itself. Last year, it was fundamentally a good character dramedy leavened with music and interrupted by occasional bursts of bad ideas like Terri's fake pregnancy. This year it's a bunch of random plot points with little regard for character consistency, leavened with the occasional actual good scene and interrupted by pauses to sell iTunes music.

Anyway. I thought this episode was better than many from season two, but I still had to struggle not to fast-forward through many parts of it.

8. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Puck's song was "Big Ass Heart". In the vein of AC/DC's "Big Balls" and Aerosmith's "Big 10 Inch Record".

9. firerose818

firerose818 Now 65 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Loved, loved, loved this episode. :)

From Trouty Mouth to the Blaine/Kurt kiss to Regionals. I loved it all!

10. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I guess I disagree because that is only the second Warbler's song I actually liked (Silly Love Songs was the other.) I thought it came across well.

Also, count me as another that wasn't impressed by Kurt and Blaine's duet. Kurt can have an outstanding voice, usually while singing show tunes. But, at times, I also think he sounds a lot like Peter Brady singing while going through puberty.

I wanted to feel bad for Rachael, but I felt worse for Quinn during that scene. Quinn basically admited that all she has is Finn and her High School popularity. Once she graduates, she has a very normal (boring) life to look forward to. For Quinn, Rachael has a much more to come to her, why does she need to have everything?

Overall, a good episode, especially considering the last few episodes.

11. full_heart

full_heart Member

May 12, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I love, love, loved Santana's song, that was one of my favorite moments from last nights episode. I actually saved the episode just for that! I think when you watch this show you have to step away from anything that is reality, I am sure there will be some kind of backlash against Sue for punching that woman, they can't just pretend like it didn't happen, maybe we will get a Sue journal entry from it but somehow it has to be addressed.

Kathy Griffin rocked that character. I really loved Kurt's song it was so touching and emotional and it finally moved the characters along to where we want them to be, I am the first to admit I am not normally a Kurt fan, I think his character is way to needy, emotional and just downright annoying with his poor me attitude, but I loved him in last nights episode. I agree the duet didn't feel right but I think it had more to do with the tones of each of their voices, Kurt's is a little more feminine and Blaine's is not.

All in all I think this was a great episode. Watching Rachel sing the song, even though I had already heard it, blew me away. Lea Michelle can bring such intensity and emotion to a song and I am a fan, she knows how to draw people in, probably her broadway training, but it works! Great job to the Glee cast for an exceptional episode in my book! While this wasn't my favorite ever it made me walk away saying this is why I love Glee and am proud to call myself a Gleek!

12. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    One part I did not like about the episode was during Rachel's solo the camera rotating around her just went on and on. It almost made me dizzy

13. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I was thinking the same thing.

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Saw this review of last nights ep on USAToday...seems many folks agree that Glee has lost its way.

15. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Great episode last night. Trouty Mouth rules!! My wife said the same thing about Rachel's solo and how it was making her dizzy.

16. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    That has nothing to do with last night's episode.

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
  18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, even though I think that Kurt (Chris Colfer) has a very good voice as a counter-tenor and when singing show tunes, the duet wasn't a good fit for his voice at all. More unfortunately for the show, I don't think that the two sound good singing as duet partners, at least based on this example.

Excellent point and interpretation of that scene... while Quinn definitely was being mean and selfish in that scene, there was still that undercurrent of a "cruel to be kind" type of thing.

The only part of the episode I didn't get was the ending. I don't get why they went with such a maudlin vibe at that point. I mean, had they not talked about starting to prepare for nationals, you might have thought they lost from just that scene.

19. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Is that sarcasm? I assume you mean she was playing Sarah Palin. I never got any other vibe.

20. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    She played the sterotypical Tea Party female candidate. You can chose which one you want to make fun of.