Glee OAD 9/16/09 - "Acafellas" ** SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gchance, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1 of 102
    gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA

Advertisements

Lots of great lines, and one fabulous performance by Amber Riley. Who knew Josh Groban loves a blousy alcoholic?

The only thing I really didn't quite get was why OCD is now seeing Ken.

Greg

2. Sep 17, 2009 #2 of 102
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That happened last episode when she found out that Will and Terri were close to buying a house. She realized that her pining for him wasn't healthy, and after Ken essentially told her that he was the best she'd be able to get in that hick town, she resigned herself to that fact.

3. Sep 17, 2009 #3 of 102
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    This was by far my least favorite episode of this show. I just didn't care about the characters that were featured, and I didn't like any of the musical numbers.

4. Sep 17, 2009 #4 of 102
    MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    I didn't get why the main guy lost interest in the glee club so quickly in favor of his old-man boy-band.

5. Sep 17, 2009 #5 of 102
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL

Advertisements

This

Exactly!

After the first two episodes, I was very excited the first two episodes, but I am starting to feel they are rushing the show along. It feels like they writers thought up every cliche an are running through them a fast as possible:

* Sweet but outcast falls in love with Football player - Check
    * Football player is really talented, but is afraid to show it - Check
    * Teacher is former glee club winner, wants to make glee club popular again - Check
    * Teacher finds own career, but always comes back to Glee Club (TWICE!) - Check

Although I didn't enjoy the songs as much last night (not "iTunes" worthy as my wife said.), the songs are not enough to keep this show going. They need to get the plot line going soon.

6. Sep 17, 2009 #6 of 102
    cmaasfamily

cmaasfamily New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    This thing should be headed for the textbooks - a brilliant concept, a great pilot, and then straight into the crapper.

Rather than fleshing out characters and tightening up the storyline after the pilot, it seems clear the direction was to 'get more of them #1 iTune hits!'

It has fallen from a STORY about a teacher and a Glee club to half-hearted, cliched sketches about high school which are interrupted by big production numbers, followed by commercials. Then it repeats. I fully expect one of the actors to drop character, look at the camera and say: "and now, our very special guest: Cher singing her #1 hit Half-Breed!"

Here's a tip: if the show sucks nobody is going to buy the songs on iTunes. Or watch the show.

7. Sep 17, 2009 #7 of 102
    jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    Oh well. I enjoyed it.

8. Sep 17, 2009 #8 of 102
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    1st 2 episodes I thought the hour went by too quickly. Last night I kept looking at my watch, not a good sign.

I did like the guy with no thumbs. Then getting the 2 thumbs up cake, and his mike taped to his hand so he could hold it.

9. Sep 17, 2009 #9 of 102
    cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    huh I liked it last night...I agree its still looking for its footing, but still fun.

really enjoyed the acafellas numbers of poision and i want to sex you up...so cheesy

10. Sep 17, 2009 #10 of 102
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    +1

11. Sep 17, 2009 #11 of 102
    FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Liked the Acafellas numbers. There were also some funny lines here and there. But I agree it didn't really mesh - the story wasn't very good, the character development is lacking.

I'm also disappointed that they've gone away from the initial concept of a musical show that the entire family will enjoy together - this wasn't quite as sexual as the previous episode, but "I Wanna Sex You Up" sung by a group including two high school kids and a guy with an order to stay 50 feet away from kids? That's pushing it. I have nothing against an edgier show, but I was hoping this was one to watch with the kids, and it clearly isn't.

I'm not sure the home life aspect of the show is working (the whole non-baby subplot). The interaction between the teachers/coaches seems to work well - they need to play that up more.

12. Sep 17, 2009 #12 of 102
    LooseWiring

LooseWiring Active Member

Jan 6, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I don't get it. When was this ever supposed to be a "musical show that the entire family will enjoy together"?

The pilot certainly wasn't family friendly.

Personally, I thought the episode was better than last weeks but not by much. I do agree that the jock wanting to leave Glee was a bit drastic as was Mr. Schuster basically ditching the kids in favor of Accafellas.

13. Sep 17, 2009 #13 of 102
    jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    Didn't he ditch them after they basically ditched him, though, by wanting to bring in a new dance guy?

Maybe it didn't jive perfectly, but I bought the "disenchantment" he was feeling.

14. Sep 17, 2009 #14 of 102
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    * Group hires a professional to lead them because they think it's the only way to become winners, only to discover that they had their leader all along - Check.

Now, all they need is:
    * Group goes to regionals and finishes in the lowest qualifying spot for nationals;
    * Group ends up winning nationals (despite the fact that there are other groups that, based on the actual performances, are 100 times better);
    * "Villain" coach gets comeuppance (that was pretty much the entire plot of The Karate Kid Part 3, wasn't it?); I will be surprised if the last scene of the first season isn't somebody throwing some liquid onto her.

Just about the only other thing missing is a Fox announcement sometime in the spring: to fill the summer slot left open when So You Think You Can Dance? moved to the fall, Fox is going to sponsor a National High School Glee Club Championship, with the final rounds to air American Idol-style over the summer.

(Oh, and take it from someone who has first-hand knowledge: in what high school is Glee Club considered "below" Mathletes?)

-- Don

15. Sep 17, 2009 #15 of 102
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    So... have they fixed the tone of this show by the 3rd episode? I didn't like the 1st episode at all exclusively because the tone was in no man's land between serious drama and parody of teen stupidity. In order for me to enjoy the show, it has to be very clearly in the "parody of teen stupidity" genre. Is it now? I can keep waiting if not...

16. Sep 17, 2009 #16 of 102
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Count me as another who wasn't too thrilled with this episode. I think what I really liked about the pilot was that it had real music that was arranged for a show choir to sing and perform. There was more of that when we saw Vocal Adrenaline again in this episode. But most of the musical numbers from the last two episodes have really left me flat, because they simply weren't the types of music that I think a show choir would perform, so they just leave me saying "WTF?"

After the pilot, I was really excited for this show. After three episodes, I'm seriously considering giving it up if it doesn't improve.

17. Sep 17, 2009 #17 of 102
    Cindy1230

Cindy1230 Cuteness overload

Oct 31, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Definitely full of cliches....yay they overcame another obstacle,..
    Thought this episode really sloooowed down the story line,... when is the big competition anyway?

And this was the first time they did an Ally McBeal/Eli Stone with Mercedes imagining her number.

Enjoyed all the Acafellas songs... all the early 90s hip songs I grew up with, brought back memories... I forgot I saw Color Me Badd at the Houston Rodeo (indeed, they used 2 d's),.. hmmm where are they now?

18. Sep 17, 2009 #18 of 102
    Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I agree that I don't get where people keep complaining that it is not a family show. It's Fox, and Fox likes edgy. And they said from the beginning it was NOT High School Musical on Fox. If you want a show that's family friendly, go watch High School Musical. Fox didn't want to do what had already been done.

19. Sep 17, 2009 #19 of 102
    tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The wife and I enjoyed this episode, including the cameo by Josh Groban.

"Josh Groban likes a blousy alcoholic." :D

And Victor Garber! In a bow-tie! So funny. I kept trying to reconcile the Garber I knew from Alias to this one.

20. Sep 17, 2009 #20 of 102
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I liked it! I bought the story, and the reason for him abandoning the kids for Accafellas... it was all about Will feeling the self-esteem that his own performing brought him.

It was REALLY funny watching that group of teachers performing like a boy-band. And well! And Will's wife seeing the joy it brought her husband. It's the first time I really liked her character.