Glee "Michael" (1/31/2012, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Jan 31, 2012.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ok, I think they're on a bit of a roll. This was another solid episode. And shockingly, they actually squeezed in a bit of a plot in between 9 (!!!) Michael Jackson songs.

I can't believe they actually did a shot-for-shot remake of the "Scream" video. although I would've rather heard it with a male-female duet. I love that they also did the morph sequence from "Black or White." Hard to believe that was cutting edge at the time that video came out.

I thought they did an impressive job on all the songs this week, actually. The weakest one was "Ben," and only because I think the song itself is a bit of a syrupy bore, nothing against the actual performance of it. Also, "Never Can Say Goodbye" was solid, but Dianna's voice is a little thin on solos. (But hey - she looked really good performing it! Wow!)

Aside: Although he was only very briefly in this episode, we've still seen quite a lot of episodes featuring Damian McGinty... when are they going to finally bring in the other "winner" of the Glee Project, Samuel? If I were him, I'd be a little put out... the way they presented that show, it seemed like both Damian and Samuel would get equal time on the show, and it doesn't look like they're doing that.

2. Feb 1, 2012 #2 of 30
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Decent episode. I actually fast forwarded during scream. Artie freaked me out as he looked like Walowitz from Big Bang Theory.

Quinn singing Never Can Say Goodbye might have fit the plot but her voice did not fit the song that well. I really would have loved to hear Rachel sing it. Loved Rachel's one verse in Ben, not so much with the other two.

Santana got some good solos tonight he voice sounded great on her songs. I also really like the A Capella background on Bad and thought the version of Human Nature was nice.

3. Feb 1, 2012 #3 of 30
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I found this episode to be mediocre. I have never been a big fan of having songs from only one artist in an epsiode (and I think the only episdoe that pulled it off was Rumours). Some of the songs tonight were good, but other, not so much.

Once again, Quinn proved she is the one of reason. Everything she told Racheal was correct. I am not sure why Rachael has become such a person of self-doubt that she would accept Finn's proposal just because she hadn't gotten a letter from NYADA (and, seriously, she didn't even know about NYADA until this year. There are plenty of other ways for her to be a star.)

As soon as Racheal accepted Finn proposal, we knew she was going to get a letter. And, both my wife and I thought "cop-out" when the letters notifying Kurt & Racheal that they are "finalist". They haven't got in to anything yet.

I know there has been some discussion around who may or may not be coming back next year, but I think we can write Dianna Agron out for next year. :(

I hope the writers/producers are leading somewhere with Sebastian. He physically assaulted Blaine (even though it was meant for Kurt.) He should be kicked out of Dalton. I would hope Blaine's Warbler friends would stand up for Blaine.

We should be very close to Damian's last episode. He was only supposed to appear in 7 episodes, so he should be done soon. I would assume that the will, at least, give him a good-bye and not let him just disappear. As far as Samuel:

he was always scheduled to appear in the 2nd half of the season. Since we are close to the mid-point, he should appear later.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #4 of 30
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I posted this in the annoyance thread last.

Seriously, I don't know how you folks can stand watching the people in this show..every single one of them were whining and complaining about something...and the over the top fake West Side Story style drama..not to mention silly cliches...shudder.

I can see why it's ratings are waning.

5. Feb 1, 2012 #5 of 30
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for the thread crap. *plonk*

6. Feb 1, 2012 #6 of 30
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    *plonk*??

Is that some new web term I missed? I noticed you like using it a lot in your posts.

My comment stands...you may not agree with it, but that's what discussions of a certain topic are all about..differing opinions.

7. Feb 1, 2012 #7 of 30
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    /unignored for a moment...

Very old term.
    *plonk*

And if all you do is come into a thread where fans are discussing, only to complain about a show that you don't even like or watch, that's the very definition of a thread crap, and very troll-ish behavior.

8. Feb 1, 2012 #8 of 30
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Looking again at the thread titles around TCF...

Nope, not seeing a "FANS ONLY!" sign hanging anywhere.

Just a show title and date...which leads me to believe that all opinions of said show (or any topic for that matter) are open for discussion. Both positive and negative feedback welcome.

"plonk"!!! :D

9. Feb 1, 2012 #9 of 30
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Alfer - your comments both positive and negative are welcome but the above? "fem sounding guys" - "theater majors" and "guys who like show tunes"???????

well - your veiled homophobia just proves that shows like GLEE need to be on TV in 2012 if for no other reason than to annoy you.

as a probable "fem sounding guy", "theater major", and "guy who likes show tunes" -

I think this episode was mediocre also. The characters are becoming whiny and bratty and even the ones I used to root for are coming across as too cool for school.

When did Darren Criss and Artie become such tools?

10. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    As neither a 'fem-sounding guy" or a "theater major" or a "guy who likes show tunes" Glee is the best thing about my TV week.

I love it. I love them. Even the whiny ones. :)

I remain scared for Finn. He's done a big thing here, and it's going to come back to hurt him in a big way.
    Although it would seem that he and Rachel are still together in the Valentine's ep in two weeks, based on the set photos that are floating around the Internets...so what do I know. :)

11. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    When you can actually DISCUSS this show and not crap on it, let us know, m'kay?

12. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Also, don't come strong with your veiled hate for gays. You're not fooling anyone.

Now, go ahead and tell me about how you had a neighbor once who was gay, and you liked *him* just fine. :rolleyes:

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I don't know, Alfer, I think if this was posed more as a discussion then just "don't know how you folks can stand it", it would not be seen as a thread crap. But we have had people on this thread before that don't like the show. This should be a thread for discussion of likes and dislikes, not just "we love the show". At least I hope so.

That said, I didn't really care for the "west side story" drama with Blaine getting hurt when he jumped in front of the slushie, but I did love seeing Artie sing and dance, even though I am not familiar with the song.

14. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    And it should have stayed there. Posting here serves no purpose other than to troll.

15. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Not fem, love Broadway, musicals and showtunes. Don't like it? Think less of me? Don't care.

loved the Smooth Criminal "duel" with the two cellist playing.

16. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    He has a long standing history of doing just that in tv and movie threads, even posting "this sucks" type posts while admitting he never actually saw it, but all his friends hate it so...

17. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Kurt is a moron. If someone's eye is damaged in a way that requires surgery, you press charges against the person who did it.

Damn it, I'm applying reality to Glee again.

18. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The songs were good, but the writing made me almost want to cringe. (Yes, that does describe a considerable number of episodes, especially the ones dedicated to a particular singer/group, doesn't it?)

Why would Sebastian admit to the rock salt, knowing perfectly well that his words could come back to haunt him? (Speaking of the rock salt, I was a little surprised one-time Broadway Peter Pan star Sandy Duncan wasn't included in the list of blind-in-one-eye actors.)
    (And speaking of the Warblers, I am under the impression that the Tufts Beelzebubs no longer perform the "chorus" vocals, in which case the show managed to find another group of singers who can do instruments with their voices reasonably well.)

Why wasn't Burt in Washington, like all Congressmen are supposed to be? (If there was a break of some sort, they could have mentioned it.)

Oh, and I can only imagine how far back they set the It Gets Better Project with Artie's comment. Yes, I realize "it's only a show," but compare the context: all of those "it only gets better" comments from celebrities, versus a "no it doesn't" from a (fictional) high school student.

19. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I'm not sure that he said that it doesn't get better. He said that he doesn't want to hear about how it gets better. That that's not enough. It needs to *be* better.

And he's right about that. It's great that it gets better. But tons of kids aren't making it to better. Better's pretty far away for some kids.

20. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    You are. :D

This was a rather elegant solution to a prickly problem. How to make the Warblers relevant this year without Blaine, and
    how to get Blaine off the show for a couple weeks so he can go get his broadway on.

It works, as long as you don't think too hard. :)