"Glee" - "Mash-Off" - OAD 11/15/2911

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Drewster, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    Directed by Eric Stoltz! As always, his episodes are my favorites.

Finn with the big cutdown of truth!

2. Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    Gack, I biffed the date. Posting from the iPad...

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Three thoughts:

1: Do not ever let Cory Monteith act like he's playing drums again. He would have been more believable if he were playing air drums.
    2: This whole campaign thing is making this show even more of a cartoon than it normally is. It's stupid, it's ridiculous, and it's annoying.
    3: This episode again reminded me that the only times I've really liked Sue on this show was when she was acting as principal for those couple of episodes - and when she's being nice to Kurt. During those few minutes of this episode, she was a person I wouldn't mind having on this show. The other 35 minutes or so? Blech.

I wasn't really all that thrilled with the song choices this week... well, I did like Santana's part of the Adele mashup. I'd loved to have just heard that song by itself, rather than as a part of the mashup, though.

Edit to add: Waaaaaait a second... a VHS tape? And a top loading VCR? What year is this again? :eek:

4. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I'm on board with all but the drums thing. It looks fake cause they make it look fake. He does know how to play drums.

Hate hate hate Sue. Can't get enough of Idina. I'd be hot for teacher too!

Not sure why Santana cares if they find out she's Lebanese..... ;-) All kidding aside, I was surprised at the ending, it has to be the worst kept secret at their school. She did wear the Lebanese T-shirt.

5. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    that version of Hot For Teacher was brutal. Love that song, hearing them sing it made me want to stab my ears with ice picks.

6. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I thought Cory really could play the drums (didn't he have a drum solo of some sort during the first tour? IIRC, when Lea singled him out for this, it was the only time on tour where anybody broke character.

Which campaign - Congress, or Class President? Of course the Congress one is stupid and ridiculous; (a) this is Glee we're talking about, and (b) they need to write Mike O'Malley off at least temporarily because of his upcoming new series.

My take on that: it's a public school - they never had the money to get front-loading ones. :rolleyes:

7. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    according to the OP 2911 :D

This show has almost become filler to have on while I'm doing dishes or cleaning the house. A music number catches my ear, I'll rewind and check it out.

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I tried 30-second skipping over the crap in the episode, but finally couldn't find anything that wasn't crap, so around the 35 minute mark, I deleted it. I just am unable to believe how much this show has gone into the toilet after the first season. It's maybe 1 in 3 episodes that even come close to being reasonable enough to watch nowadays. Probably close to time to just delete the season pass.

9. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I would say that you missed the best parts of the episode:

1) Finn calling Santana out (not only out of the closest, but her whole attitude.)

2) Sue, Will, and Burt's concern for Santana. (This is the Sue we like. It is Ok for her to be mean, but it IS way over the top.)

3) Santana's reaction at the end of the episode.

Overall this was, IMHO, the best episode of the season. But, with the quality of the season, that isn't an overwelhming endorsement.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ok, that may be true, but the drumming was laughably bad in that song. Of course, that whole song was pretty bad, so I guess they sort of went together.

11. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    He did play drums on the tour. He also plays drums in the LA band Bonnie Dune.

12. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    The drums in "Hot For Teacher" look bad because it's way more advanced than is possible on the small kit they use on the show.

No biggie.

The congress campaign is silly because it seems to be mostly satire.

For class president? I LOLed at Brittany's campagn promise. Outlaw tornadoes. When she started to talk about tornadoes, I thought maybe she was reading the wrong speach. Like something she prepared for a class. But then it became a campaign thing

13. Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    I thought Hot For Teacher was awkward, particularly at first as they recreated the Van Halen video. When it moved into the choir room, it worked better.

Eric Stoltz is easily my favorite Glee director. His episodes are always ones I like to re-watch and re-watch.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Ah yes. The cycle on tivocommunity. Love a show then trash it in the second or third season claiming it was great in the beginning when mostly the show almost never really changes.

15. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I think that comment is off base here. I think it is pretty clear that the show isn't as consistently good as it was in year one. Year one was ( forgive me NBC) must see TV. e.g. you watched it immediately. Now I watch it when I get around to it. I still like it more often than not but I understand the criticism.

16. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Ryan Murphy's other show Nip/Tuck was also good at first then descended into ridiculousness. His Third show American Horror Story, started out in outrageous territory so who knows what levels of suckiness it will reach.

17. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    What, no comment on her speech promise to "go topless on Tuesdays..."? :D

18. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm a big fan of mash-ups, so I loved this episode. I thought every mash-up was well done and fun to listen to. I thought the Halls & Oates one was the weakest, with the Adele one being the best (followed closely by the You & I medley).

I listened to Rumour Has It this morning on the Adele album and I had to sing along with the Someone Like You add-ins sung by Santana. :)

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Sorry. I went back and watched a lot of season 1. I see the same show. It wa always silly in terms of reality. It had uneven songs an performances.

The problem is that a fresh idea seems fresh when it starts then people get used to it. If it changes too much then it loses its charm.

It is a problem with series tv. Do you really think every series we talk about all go downhill so much?

20. Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    I have always felt that Finn described the show when he said in Season One Sectionals, "we're best when we're loose."

I have most enjoyed the shows that are mid-way a production cycle are the best ones -- not the big opener, not the big plots for sweeps, not the closers. Just the ones in the middle where they're just covering ground and doing numbers. I think this worked well when the creator were basically writing everything.

Now that they gave a real writing staff, and *cough* Marti Nixon *cough*, it's becoming less loose and a lot more normal.

-Andrew