Glee "I Am Unicorn" (OAD 9/27/11)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Sep 27, 2011.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    They seem to be continuing the trend of very heavy use of songs from musicals... of course, with them doing West Side Story, those are being heavily featured. Still, if you are like me and not into most musicals, and don't care for West Side Story, the song choices leave something to be desired.

That said, although I don't care for most of the songs tonight, "Somewhere" was quite well done, thanks to the amazing voice of Idina Menzel. She soundly outclasses everyone on this show. She showed again tonight why she's a Tony-award winner.

Hopefully they are able to get back to doing a wider variety of songs in the coming weeks...

2. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm trying to remember back to season one, when there was so much good material interrupted by so much absurdity (fake pregnancy?), but I liked the show anyway. Because this was one of those episodes -- only I'm trying to decide if I still like the show. Some genuinely good stuff (the Brittany subplot; the always-reliable Burt & Kurt scenes; Mr. Schue growing a pair and telling Quinn off; the scenes with Puck and Idina Menzel; Menzel and Michele's duet) and loads of eye-rolling contrivance (as always, anything with Sue; the excuse for bringing Menzel's character back to McKinley; Kurt outside the window; the hint that Schuster will run against Sue; Quinn's "I'm pretending to be reformed again to get my baby back" act). After the first 10 minutes, I swore I was done. But I stuck for the next 30 and thought the show was back. And then in the final 10 I'm not sure again. The show is so good when it plays things relatively straight. Why can't it just stick with what works?

3. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I think Puck connecting to his baby is going to be a good thing but Quinn connecting is going to be a bad thing since she has only changed to do this.

I liked Mr. Schue telling her off but then he turned around and because she changed her hair color and put a nice virgin white dress on, she is back in. Bleh. She never really was that nice a person so why be upset that she's a skank. Seemed appropriate to me.

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I so want to keep watching this show but this season has been a disappointment. I guess I will go back to just watching the singing and skip the rest.

5. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    LOVE Coach Bieste: In college, I was in a production of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"...I played the Forum! :D:p

6. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Those posters were really unicorn.

Love an episode that gives Brittney a lot of screen time.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I can't believe I'm saying this -- but too much plot. That would not be true for practically every other show on earth.. But this show is about the singing & dancing. The past 2 episodes have had far fewer songs than usual. (I think I may admittedly have said in the past TOO many songs.. but there's a balance that can happen.. maybe 4-5 songs/show at least.)

8. Oct 3, 2011 #8 of 13
    hapdrastic

hapdrastic Swarley

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm actually really enjoying the fact that they've got plot going on this season. It's different enough to almost make me care about things between the songs.

9. Oct 3, 2011 #9 of 13
    Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I tivoed this because I thought they would be featuring musical numbers from West Side Story.

I was disappointed there were only two. (Although non-Kurt was a perfect Tony, he did deserve a standing ovation.) The third song was not from WSS (Funny Girl? it was Streisand).

10. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I expect that we'll hear more from WSS as the season progresses. :)

11. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    My guess is that it's a recurring plot line and there will be a song or two every (or most) episodes.

I wanted more West Side too, but I'm willing to wait for it! I like the idea of dragging it out across the season instead of having "A Very Special West Side" episode.

12. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    In that case, I might add the SP again. I had given up on the show, but I am interested in seeing the WSS numbers.

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I would love to see them do "once you're a jet" with the dancing and moving involved.