Glee | "Hold on to Sixteen" | OAD 12/06/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Lori, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1 of 33
    Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Discuss. :)

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 33
    Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    First, really glad that both the TT and ND had 12 on the stage. I didn't want them to wave that requirement away.

Second, as much as I love Rachel--and I really, really do--without her, they had to dig pretty deep, and they showcased everyone. It was awesome to see everyone on stage--well, except for the non-glee folks, and, strangely, Rory--get a solo.

Solid episode. Ended differently than I thought it would, but good.

Finally--what is wrong with Puck's hair!?!

3. Dec 6, 2011 #3 of 33
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    No Sue, Very Little Will is a win in my book.

4. Dec 7, 2011 #4 of 33
    Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    I loved it. A very strong episode.

And yes, I too have been wondering what's with Puck's mohawk growing longer and flattened down.

5. Dec 7, 2011 #5 of 33
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    So... how the heck does Sam attend a school 4 hours away (in a different STATE) from where his parents live?

Sorry, I know, logic and Glee don't and cannot coexist in the same place.

6. Dec 7, 2011 #6 of 33
    martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    The choreography hasn't been very crisp this year. In a lot of the quick cut shots you see people out of rhythm, ill-timed hand gestures, etc. From the scrub extras to the main bill cast. I thought the first group at sectionals had the best dancing, tho they were very New Directions-like with one main singer and a bunch of running around. :)

I never thought Mike's father would come around. In fact, it made no sense that he would, but this is Glee. :)

By the way, there is a great video of the Adele mash-up performance on Youtube in the Glee VEVO section. I hope Adele will record that version of her two songs... it was great hearing Santana sing it, but I bet Adele would kill it.

7. Dec 7, 2011 #7 of 33
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had heard somewhere that Mark Salling really hates the mohawk... but I'm not sure how whatever they're doing with it now is what you might call better.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #8 of 33
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Mostly a good episode. I loved that we got so many songs performed at the contest and that we got three from New Directions. I liked first and last songs but not so much the middle one.

And I will also say that as much as I love Rachel it was good to see other performers take the spotlight.

I thought both the Quinn and Mike storylines resolution was extremely abrupt. Quinn did a 180 in a matter of hours. But, if it means we get the old Quinn back then I am all for it. I was tired of bitchy Quinn.

9. Dec 7, 2011 #9 of 33
    cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Loved the We Are Young song at the end... probably the first time that I've heard a song on Glee that I never heard of -- and made me want to buy it based on their performance (both the original and Glee versions).

I agree about the dancing -- it definitely didn't seem all that good. I know that, per Wiki, they were filming multiple episodes at the same time and very close to air time (wonder if that was due to the Glee Project) ... so it could simply be that they ran out of time to get it right.

10. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I was disappointed Mike didn't have a dance solo, what with his dad watching. He wasn't really doing anything a handful of other guys weren't doing.

When they were trying to sell Sam's parents Rachel had a line about him staying with her or Finn.

I don't like this trend of not singing the song in the ep title. They got me all excited for some Mellencamp! It's Bad Reputation all over again. :mad:

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, but would a school district allow someone to attend where their legal residence isn't anywhere in the district, and in fact, in another state? Again, I know, realism and Glee don't get along.

I was kind of hoping someone would break out the Mellencamp as well.

And yeah, the dancing and choreography was awful in this episode, except perhaps the third school. The Troubletones performance was exceptionally odd, IMO, and looked bad with all that seemingly random arm waving.

12. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I think as long as he's physically residing within the district it would be fine.

13. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Every time Mercedes did a spin in that brown skirt it bloomed up and she looked like a mushroom. :)

14. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Yep. I'm not a huge fan of the Mercedes, BBW, archetype in general. Sure, she has a big voice but that's all she brings. All she can do is belt it out. She can't do subtle, she can't dance. Frankly, her opinion of her place is out of touch with reality.

As far as the troubletones, the song was OK but damn, that was some crappy dancing. Even the flash cuts couldn't hide all the out of step dancing and weird arm movements. The first time I can recall watching Heather and not enjoying watching her dance everyone else into the ground.

15. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The one thing everyone seems to be talking about on the Glee-specific forums is the revelation that the lead singer on the third choir (the one from the "NYADA mixer" that Rachel and Kurt attended early in the season) is a sophomore - this is being read as, "She'll transfer to McKinley to fill in the gap in New Directions when Rachel graduates."

(Well, that and the whole, "Well, so much for Mercedes, Santana, and Brittany, except wait, Quinn says that not only are they welcome back to ND, but they will be allowed to do a number 'on their own' at Regionals (and, presumably, Nationals), with Rachel's blessing" bit. Something tells me that everybody on the TroubleTones not named Mercedes, Santana, Brittany, or Sugar are going to be in some mysterious, and unmentioned, cheerleading accident so we won't have to ask why they didn't go to ND along with the others...)

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Ummmm, when has Quinn ever not been a *****?

17. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    She had moments of niceness in past seasons but this season has just been over the top nasty.

18. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Yeah, I guess that's true.

But I think she has kind of transitioned between calculating-but-somewhat-mature *****, vulnerable-but-somewhat-entitled *****, and just-flat-out-crazy *****, and back and forth between those. And it seems like she's resolved her recent just-flat-out-crazy ***** storyline.

BTW, how many of the kids have gotten the "<Character>, you're the <superlative adverb> <superlative adjective> person I know. If anyone's gonna make it out of this town, it's you."

19. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Staying with relatives/friends. The parents sign over guardianship. It's easier than you think.

20. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    She was one of the runner ups of the glee reality show last summer, at the time it was said she would be on two episodes this year.

Strangely one of the co-winners has yet to show up. (The irish kid was the other) They get 7 episodes.