Glee | "Funeral" | OAD 5/17/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Lori, May 17, 2011.

1. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Discuss. :)

2. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    The funeral was the most emotional 10 minutes of TV I have watched this year. Beautifully done and well acted. As soon as they opened the door and those first three notes of Pure Imagination played I knew it was going to get very dusty in my room.

I thought it was a great episode. Loved the solos (okay maybe not Kurt's) but the other three were great and Mercedes Try a Little Tenderness was fantastic.

3. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Great episode. It was interesting to see Sue in such a somber, non abrasive mode.

Loved Emma in Will's sweater. There in the hall Will had both women at one end and the other, and he was leaving to join a third.

I am reminded of Friday Night Lights when Coach was leaving to go to TMU at the end of the season, and his team was going to State.

It was quite dusty.

4. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Is there dust in the air?

Wow, what an episode. This was the rare Glee episode where the story completely outweighed the music.

When Sue said her sister died, it hit me really hard as it was so unexpected. I am glad to see the "human" Sue again, something that has been missing for most of this season. It had to hurt Sue to not have realized how many friend Jean truely had.

Pure Imagination, pure genius! Just hearing the first few notes as Sue & Wil walked in to the funeral room.

Other random thoughts:

Finn grow a pair. Seriously dude, Quinn is probably the best for you and you throw it away. (And what is Quinn up to in New York? That was an ominous threat.)

I think I can do without Jessie St James now. I know he is threre to cause friction, but he is annoying.

And, is this, finally, the time we get to say goodbye to Terrri? :happy dance:

5. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Yes, there was definitely dust in the air :eek:

And sooo glad to see Sue turn back into a human being...;)

Rachel: [Santana]...how do you get that raspy voice?
    Santana: Oh, thank you...I smoke cigars! :p;)

6. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I like JSJ as a performer but the character right now is just nasty.

Enjoyed seeing Sue though Jean's eyes once last time. I hate nasty Sue.

Finn has aspirations beyond Lima. Quinn is never going to leave. There is an inherent conflict there. Lovely as Quinn is, she is a HS queen but will be a loser in life. I went to a small school in PA full of girls like her.

Ding dong the witch is gone. ( we hope)

7. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    But Finn loves Rachel. Easy choice.

8. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    We said the same thing - it's almost an exact parallel! But if you're going to copy a show, copy Friday Night Lights...

Great to see human Sue again. She had gotten a bit silly recently (the David Bowie costumes, other ridiculous things).

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I liked the episode but was annoyed by the pre-air hype and promotion - SOMEONE DIES ON GLEE!

10. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I thought it was well done but I always have a problem with long drawn out funrrals for fictional characters, unless the actress died in real life? Other than humanizing Sue i'm not clear what the point of it all was.

11. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The only thing that annoyed me was the product placement. (First class tickets on American Airlines! Needless to say, promotional consideration paid for by American Airlines. Okay, House is loaded with it, including "Sota Turntables" (which I just discovered refers to the stereo component and not something they use in the hospital), but it's usually not that blatant.)

I did have a couple of questions:

1. Did Artie have any lines? (Not counting any singing he did.)

2. Who played Becky's mother? (I don't think she was credited, unless it was as a guest star in the opening credits - Lauren Potter (Becky) is always credited as a "co-star" (i.e. a "bit part player") in the closing credits), and I didn't notice any other names...which is strange, as they should have credited whoever was presiding at the funeral as well.)
    EDIT: Kari Coleman played Becky's mother - apparently she's been in mainly bit parts for at least 20 years (she had a brief recurring role in the early Seinfeid days); her most recent repeating role was on three episodes of Veronica Mars

12. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
  13. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Very doubtful - if she did, almost certainly there would have been an "In Memoriam" card at the end of an episode at one point.

Speaking of which...if you freeze on the funeral home's message board, there are two other names listed as having funerals that day; they could be just "shout outs" to somebody, but I have a feeling there's more to it than that (probably recently deceased relatives or friends of staffers).

14. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    One thing that I didn't expect, but actually liked was Will refusing Becky to come to Glee club when she asked. It was sort of harsh, and I was thinking "oh yeah she joins and is a mole for Sue or something like that" I was expecting that he would take her in, but he said no and come back in the fall.

I liked it even better at the end when Sue took her back.

15. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Either that or anagrams, but I couldn't make anything out of the names.

As soon as Becky showed up with her mom I figured out who had died. I'm glad the show let Sue accept the glee club's work at the service and didn't make her do a snide F.U. comment. I didn't boohoo but I came close... that was really good TV.

It will be interesting to see how the Shue-leaving thing plays out. That should be some serious high drama. I expect Quinn's secret is a modeling contract in NYC... everyone always says she's sooooo beautiful.

16. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    ..yeah, got pretty dusty during that scene too...darn these sudden dust storms...:eek: Lovely hug! :)

17. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    It seems like every girl likes to cheat on him. He may as well hook up with Kurt.

18. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I wish some of the characters were "graduating" after this season as it would keep the show from becoming stale.

Example: Finn graduates, Quinn and Rachel still not like each other but the love triangle would be gone.

19. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Except I love Finn, so that would make me sad. How about if Quinn graduates? ;)

20. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    And that would make me sad. I guess we have to keep them both...