Glee - 5/18/10 -"Dream On"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TriBruin, May 18, 2010.

1. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL

Advertisements

Ok, I will say it right now. That was my favorite Glee episode so far!

First of all, any show with NPH is going to be good. Seeing him sing both Piano Man and Dream On was awesome!

I knew they were going for Idena Menzel being Rachael's mom. It was almost too obvious. But I am surprised that was why she had Jesse hook up with Rachael.

Finally, Safety Dance was my favorite performance of the season. That was the perfect video (and fun to see Artie out of his wheelchair.)

2. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    While this show doesn't care how wild and crazy the stories and scenes get (and I like that), I did have to LOL when Shoe said:

"I gave up my one dream to keep 13 dreams alive"

Uh, your dream was to be the lead in a community theater performance directed by the local dry-cleaner?

:D

3. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I was hoping they'd use "Confrontation" from Les Mis.

I Dreamed a Dream was awesome.

4. tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    "Safety Dance" was definitely awesome. I don't know if it was the influence of Joss Whedon, but this week's episode felt slowed down, instead of whiplash-inducing, and emotionally honest. I wish they would do this more every week. If they did, Glee would be a storytelling powerhouse.

5. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL

Advertisements

Good, emotional episode.

Nice selection of songs. Shoe actually sounded very good on Dream On. Artie's Dream a Little Dream of Me was very good.

I Dreamed a Dream was FANTASTIC!

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Man. It is scary disturbing how much Idina and Lea look like each other. If they hadn't made Shelby (Idina's character) Rachel's mother, that would be just totally wrong. I just hope that the show doesn't decide to do something stupid like go back on all this, make this whole thing a big scam on the part of Shelby.

"Dream On" was really good, as was "I Dreamed A Dream." "Safety Dance" was OK... I liked the use of the camcorder/cell phone camera footage during that bit. I didn't really care too much for "Dream A Little Dream Of Me" though.

7. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Exactly how we felt.

8. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I was hoping they would do "These Dreams" by Heart

9. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    Agreed. It literally gave me chills. Simply amazing.

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    :up: Yeah, especially since he was just auditioning originally to get NPH to audition. I don't think it was ever Wil's intention to audition otherwise.

I enjoyed all of the music this episode, but not really into showtunes that much so unlike the rest of you I was "meh" about "I Dreamed a Dream." To much singing loudly for me. And I didn't believe the emotion behind it.

Anything Artie sings I love though. So I was a happy camper this ep.

By the end of the series they could do several Glee character albums.

11. softigo

softigo New Member

May 19, 2010
    Glee is AWE....SOME ;)

12. Polcamilla

Polcamilla -b±√(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

Nov 7, 2001
    BURN IN HELL JOSS WHEDON!!!!

Stop taunting us with your excellent storytelling and beautiful character development and then vanishing into the night at the whim of Fox executives! It's killing me!!!

--------------------

Seriously, though, Best. Glee. Episode. Ever!!

Very ballsy having the actress playing Rachel sing a duet with Idena Menzel. It was beautiful, but for all that Rachel has been the star voice on the show, pairing her with a mature Tony-award winning actress highlighted how far she has to go to be a great singer. Still, it was beautifully done. She sounded immature, yes, but it fit perfectly into the scene they built.

13. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    They already burn up iTunes every week. At this moment they hold eleven spots on iTunes Pop, their volume 3 album is #1 overall and they also hold spots 12, 17, 25 and 29 in overall albums.

14. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    My main disappointment this episode was no Britney line.

15. firerose818

firerose818 Now 65 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lea Michele may not be a Tony award winning actress, but she was nominated for several awards (Drama Desk, and something else) for her role in Spring Awakening. I think she's already a pretty great singer - but yes, she's not Idina Menzel.

This was definitely my favorite Glee episode by far. It is now KUID on the TiVo. Can they just hire Joss permanently? Kthanxbye.

16. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    No... because as we discussed - that would mean that a character would need to die. :D

3 more episodes this season - ending with Sectionals (and a return to Don't Stop Believin')

17. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Or, in a gasp-inducing "Gotcha" reveal, we find Schu is the season's Big Bad.;)

18. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I actually think she's better.

Just my opinion of course.

19. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    +1

When is Quinn due... can't she just drop it already? :)

20. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    No it is Legend..... wait for it ...ary! :D