Glee 11/8/10 "Never Been Kissed"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JohnB1000, Nov 10, 2010.

1. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004

Advertisements

No thread ?

I liked the episode because it seemed like a retro, "Normal" episode. No super standout moments though (apart from Brittany throwing out the baby with the bathwater).

I like the mashup songs quite a lot but the girls one was disappointing. Boys was fine, but the Teenage Dream song was best. I also like Puck's voice so I liked that one.

Not enough Sue and not enough Sue's cheerleader assistant :)

2. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Good episode. Kurt is often really annoying, but it was nice seeing the other school's routine. When Kurt isn't crying, he's pissing and moaning, but I guess thats expected for a teenage character.

3. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    The whole bully being a self-loathing person who lashes out thing was a little too cliche for me. We shouldn't be humanizing bullies and making them sympathetic characters, we should be pounding the living crap out of them.

Instead of the locker room confrontation ending in a kiss, it should have ended with Kurt torturing the guy with a taser.

Santana's line was awesome though: "See, this is what happens when you don't put out. If everyone just put out, there wouldn't be any problems." /Subscribe! :D:up:

4. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Kinda surprised that the mashups aren't available on iTunes -- just One Love & Teenage Dream (which I also liked)

5. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

This was a very good episode, and thankfully not a "very special episode" like we had with Kurt a couple of weeks back.

This was one of the first episodes where I actually felt for and identified with Kurt. Not the gay thing (NTTAWWT) but being a emotional and social outcast in high school. Will was right, there is nothing that screws a person up more than high school (actually, he said other than your parents, but I actually think high school is worse). I think had I had someone that gave me the kind of encouragement that Kurt got from Blaine (the kid from the other school), high school would've been somewhat more tolerable for me.

Music-wise, the "Teenage Dream" performance from the other school was really good - granted, I'm generally a fan of a well-done acapella performance like that. The only thing bad about it was that it had a LOT more studio tricks added in than it really needed.

Of the two mashups, I actually liked the girls performance a little better, but they were both pretty good, unlike in "Vitamin D" where one performance was miles better than the other. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the mashup... I kept thinking "singing three words from another song doesn't make it a mashup," but they ended up bringing in more of "Start Me Up" later in the song.

I'm actually glad they had less songs this week... I think 3-4 songs is the best balance of singing vs. acting. More than that, the songs really start to drown the plot out or force a specific plot, as has happened so far this season.

6. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I'm tone deaf and have horrendous taste in music, but I liked the girls' performance much more than the boys'.

And I liked Puck & Artie's gig too.

So who won the contest?

Oh, and Shoe kissing the coach? Didn't buy it.

7. brermike

brermike Member

May 31, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    That's strange, I was able to find and download all four tracks (the two mashups along with One Love and Teenage Dream) for this episode from iTunes yesterday.

8. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I thought the girls performance was awful, but I like the boys performance.

Liked Teenage Dream. Who's song is that in real life?

The all-boys school was a bit too much of a Kurt dreamland. And they 'almost' made me care about him. Not there yet though.

9. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Teenage Dream is a Katy Perry song.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    BTW: I don't know how many people know about this, but http://gleethemusic.com has most or all the full versions of the music from the show available for free listening online. No downloads, though. (Yes, it's a legit site - it's run by Sony Music who releases the Glee albums.)

11. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Thats cool!

I don't get the individual tracks, I wait for the albums, so this will apease me.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I'm surprised it wasn't a "very special episode", considering that's how Fox was advertising it (not in those words, but the ads came across as, as Mr. Garrison on South Park would put it, "Bullying is bad, m'kay?"

I am even more surprised there haven't been reports that any of the Fox stations in the south either pulled the episode in advance or announced that they are moving, if not outright removing, the program, because of Kurt's kiss. (I wouldn't be surprised if somebody at Fox saw this coming, and "reminded" the stations, "Before you think about removing, moving, or even editing, this episode, ask yourself: how badly do you want us to remove your NFL and NASCAR broadcasts, including next year's Daytona 500?")

And I know it's "just a TV show" and "part of the storyline," but what happened to the other two schools from last year's Western Ohio sectionals? Did they suddenly lose their show choir funding or something? (Well, the reform school has an excuse; one of their "singers" (actually, I doubt she did any of the actual singing, but you know what I mean) is now in the Pussycat Dolls.)

-- Don

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    But the bully is gay. So, beating him up is no better than what he is doing to Kurt.

Anyway... I liked the Katy Perry re-do by the boy's school. I thought the girls rock piece was good. Seemed much better "produced" than the boys. They put more work into it.

14. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    What stations didn't show this episode? I tried to do a quick search but couldn't find any news of this.

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I'm saying that the writers shouldn't have made him gay. They should have just left him as a dbag, and then have him get beat up. :)

16. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I guess they wanted to take the cliche the whole way and suggest that homophobic bullies are probably gay themselves. :)

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Agreed. Does Vocal Adrenaline just get a bye straight to Nationals since they won Sectionals last year? I can't imagine that they're not around anymore.
    I'm sure Ryan Murphy thinks that's the truth about homophobic bullies. :rolleyes:

18. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I was actually suprised to see the kiss. Then I realized what was going on and what statement was being mande. Of course, it's certainly true in some cases.

19. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    VA won Regionals...

20. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Yes, New Directions actually won sectionals. They competed against the School for the Deaf and that girls school full of thieving criminals.