Glad to be returning to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ncted, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1 of 22
    ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I was a DirecTivo user back in 2004-2006. I had an RCA DVR40 which I upgraded to a 160GB HDD and an HR10-250. I still think they were probably the best, most reliable DVRs I have ever used.

Since then, I have had TWC SA-8300HD boxes with Passport (bad) and Navigator (worse), Dish Network VIP622/722 (pretty good actually), briefly Tivo Premier with TWC (great DVR, horrible tuning adapter experience), Cisco 8640 with TWC Navigator (worst ever), and DirecTV HR24 (good, but kind of sluggish).

Now, I am moving to OTA, and I have 2 Tivo HD boxes. All I can say is I am glad to be back with Tivo. I realize many people complain that Tivo isn't what it should be, and that may be true, but all I can say is it is still way better than anything I've used in the past 8 years or so.

When I moved to my new home in October 2010, my wife wanted to go back to cable for "reliability." I said that is fine, but I wanted Tivo, because I remembered how bad Navigator was, so we got a couple of Premiers. They were great, but the whole cable card, tuning adapter thing was a fiasco, so I returned the Premiers. To be honest, any "appliance" that has to be strung together like that is doomed to fail anyway IMHO. We tried Navigator anyway, and it still sucked, so we got DirecTV because they were offering a deal. Well, the deal turned out to be way too expensive for how we watch TV, so I decided to try out OTA at the new house, and it works wonderfully. I got the HDs primarily to save money versus the Premier.

We watched our first complete show on our new Tivo setup last night, and it was like coming home. It just worked. It didn't make me wonder if I had really pressed a button by pausing inexplicably or cover up half the screen with channel banners and progress bars when paused. Even my wife commented on how easy it seemed to use compared to the other DVRs we've had (other than the old DirecTivos anyway).

I guess my point is, even though it might not be perfect, Tivo is still the best game in town in my book.

-Ted

2. Jan 5, 2012 #2 of 22
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I agree, TiVo is the best DVR and for OTA there isn't even a close second. I did like the DirecTV DVR I used for a couple of years and it appears the current DirecTV DVRs are excellent but for everything other than satellite, TiVo is best.

3. basscadet

basscadet New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    I agree, and have had pretty much the exact same recent experience! (In fact, this is my first post here since 2005!)

I had TiVo from something like 2003-2005 - it was my first ever DVR. I loved it for a little while, and recognized that it was going to change the way people watch TV. Over time as TiVo added new functions while neglecting others, my box became infuriatingly slow. Meanwhile, the recompression that TiVo did and the poor picture quality that resulted actually convinced me to go out and buy an HDTV, which meant no more TiVo at least for a while. By that time, the cable companies were offering their own (very basic) DVR's.

Since then I've gone through a TWC SA8000HD, a TWC SA8300HD, two Cablevision SA8300HD's and one Verizon Motorola box (forget the model). I also tried various homebrew DVR's, including MythTV and a Media Center PC. Nothing was very satisfying for one reason or another, and my Cablevision SA8300HD running SARA software has not been updated at all since about 2006, it seems.

So just yesterday I bought myself a TiVo Premiere, and I agree it feels like coming home. It's all the stuff I still loved about TiVo (most of which has never been duplicated on another DVR), plus more, and with most of the real problems I had fixed (I'd hope so, by now!). I love it, and I can't believe I lived without it for so long. I researched a lot of options before settling on TiVo again and I just cannot believe how archaic and basic most DVR's still are. I guess that's what some people want, though - people who complain about TiVo usually say it's trying to do too much, and all they want is a nice looking program guide with a record button. That's fine, but that's not what I want. I want a centralized box for all my media, and I want something that helps me *find* things to watch (this is my big problem with other DVR's), and TiVo is that box.

It's still not perfect, and I would love for them to make the boxes faster and to update all of the menus that are still in SD (not to mention the crappy YouTube video quality), but I feel like it does so much, it's excusable if not *everything* is perfect. I'm very happy to be a TiVo user again.

btw I've heard mixed things about CableCard and TiVo, which is one reason why it took me so long to come back... but my experience was actually really smooth. Took me 2 seconds to pick one up at my Optimum store, then a call to get it activated when I set up the box, and now it seems to be working just fine.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That's good to hear. You should go back and read some of the cablecard threads to see what it used to be like.
    It wasn't TiVo's fault. The cable companies are the ones that made things difficult whether on purpose or because of ineptness. Ever since the FCC stepped in, things are starting to go smoothly. You're reaping the benefit.

5. chrissexton1956

chrissexton1956 New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    does anyone have a Premire on the same network with new DTV TiVo I have 4 OTA Premieres with 2 tb drives so 317 hours x 4 boxes and I want to know before I go back to DTV with a TiVo if I will be able to copy shows to and from my exsisting Premieres
    Thanks for any info you have

6. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I just returned my CableCard TiVo. It bloes...

I found that watching On Demand sucks so bad on it that it’s not worth having it. When you RW, or “go back 8 seconds” or whatever, your command lags really crazy. And sometimes you have to press it a few times…then it like plays at some random point, and a few seconds later, it either repeats that point…or goes back further…but it still doesn’t get you where you want so you have to press it a couple of times again! But beware! Because sometimes it would skip to the end of the movie when you are moving around! Usually, I just give up or it just stops rewinding past a certain point and I live with missing that part of the movie. Because risking the full movie skip isn’t worth it because the FF sucks too.

I ultimately built a cheap Corei5 computer and bought an HD Homerun Prime. Now I can record on laptops too. Although there’s no On Demand, the FF/RW is much better for recordings since you can just point to the location with a mouse. In case I need On Demand for some odd occasion, I still have a box in another room anyway. Search is much easier and the Windows Media Center Menu’s overall are much better…including program descriptions (not sure where the source is). Youtube, Hulu, et. al. is much better too obviously...as you can use a browser. It should be theoretically easier to burn DVD/BluRay as well. And of course, you can DL players for all sorts of media like VLC and itunes. It also saves electricity because the computers sleep and wake automatically. I think there are also all sorts of remotes you can buy for it too, which I gotta look into.

The short story is…I always thought of building a WMC but never felt it was important enough until I got a TiVo from my cable provider. :p

7. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    According to what I have read, this feature will not be available, at least initially.

8. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Welcome back and enjoy.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What the heck are you talking about? Unless you are in one of the test markets, Tivos do not support On Demand, so you're just doing a bogus rant.

10. hc130radio

hc130radio Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Rockwall TX
    I love Tivo because it does what I pay for it to do - record TV! All the extra stuff to me is fluff that we don't even use.

Let me get this straight, you are using a Tivo premier for OTA? I was thinking about doing that here at my house in Sanford for my OTA stuff. I'm kinda curious on how well it does.

11. wineguyatT.J.'s

wineguyatT.J.'s New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I recently got a DIRECTV TIVO box and dumped Cox. I was paying more and getting less; i.e.,having to lease their cable card and not being able to use their on demand.I got the DIRECTV H.D. TIVO box, model THR22NC-100 and it was installed by a DIRECTV contractor. I also got a DIRECTV DVR to take the place of the TIVO Series 2 unit I have for my wife's kitchen TV.She uses it to record her soap opera and a few cooking shows.I called TIVO to have the kitchen unit turned off. The TIVO rep told me that my Series 2 unit would work with the DIRECTV basic box. He then offered to pay my next months fee, so I would have time to get it up and going.Then he told me about the $99.00/ lifetime deal. Needless to say, that is what I am going to pursue.I got the Series 2 unit out and found in the original owner's manual, how to hook it up. I did and it works beautifully. I will call DIRECTV tomorrow and have them pick up their DVR and get 1 more basic box, as I had to temporarily acquire one from the spare bedroom.I thank TIVO for a knowledgable rep on the phone and good customer service. Did I mention that we have owned a TIVO unit for 11 years?

12. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    With the 20.2 software, the Premier seems to be doing as well as the Tivo HD I have. For me anyway, it is working well. The key is to force a software upgrade to the latest software as soon as you hook it up. The software it ships with did not do so well initially. Right out of the box, the Premier only picked up a couple of channels. After the upgrade to 14.9.2.2, it picked up all the same channels as my HD. After the 20.2 update, it caught a couple more that the HD didn't see. There is really only one channel that drops out, the local CW affiliate, WLFL, and it does it on both HD and Premier. We don't really watch any shows on that station, so it isn't a big deal for us.

-Ted

13. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    It prolly depends on your cable provider. Maybe I AM in a "test market", I dunno. But whatever "tests" I've run regarding On Demand...does bloe. I'm not sure why you suspect a "bogus rant". I mean, unless you're like one of the "TiVo controls my life and is perfect" fanbois. rofl

14. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Well, I am sad to say, that my OTA experiment has ended due to reception issues. Night time recordings were all very good to excellent, but as soon as we wanted to watch live TV during the day, everything went pear shaped. I am not sure why, but I cannot pull in a good signal at my location on more than half on the local stations during the day. I tried moving the antenna all over the place yesterday afternoon to no avail. It is really too bad as both my wife and I really liked going back to Tivo. I may have to reconsider the DirecTV Tivo, especially if they every enable Whole-Home functionality. For now, I will be sticking with the standard HR24 DVRs which are still better than other options, if not as good as Tivo.

15. SJPstl

SJPstl New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    prolly . . . dunno . . . bloe . . . fanbois . . . wow, that gives me a headache just reading it.

16. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    It's amazing what kind of grammar habbits you pick up after some time on the internet. I didn't even notice using those myself until you pointed it out. lol

17. AMike

AMike Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Metro Atlanta
    I also fall into the same category since I haven't posted here in a while. I had one of the original Philips branded TiVo series 1 units. I had some issues with that unit and wound up replacing it with a Series 2 which I still have today although I'm not using it any longer.

As a DirecTV subscriber, I purchased a couple of TiVo integrated units (Sony SAT-60) which I thought was the best DVR I have ever owned. As I continued with the D* subscription and as TiVo was phased out, I eventually switched to the D* HR20, HR21 and HR23. Those were frustrating to use due to their slowness of the guide and changing channels.

Fast forwarding to this summer, I made the decision to switch to Comcast since they made an offer that I could not refuse. It was a difficult decision since I'm a huge sports fan, but the savings were too good to pass up. I decided to get a Premiere XL. I have to say that I have been extremely pleased with this device. I am looking forward to being updated on the latest version.

Once Comcast rolls out the On Demand for the TiVo unit, I will like purchase an additional box.

18. DLL66

DLL66 Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    I have 2 Series 2 Tivos and both are hooked up to my Directv HD receivers. Don't have a problem. Granted, when watching on Tivo, it is Standard Definition.

19. Hogues92

Hogues92 Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Incorrect. RCN has the Premiere in several markets. They include On Demand.

20. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Dude . . . like . . . chill . . don't harsh my mellow . . . k?

j/k ... LOL