Giving the gift of Tivo is harder then it use to be.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JasonD, Apr 26, 2006.

1. JasonD

JasonD New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    San Diego
    This is what I did and where I am.

My nephew just got married, decided what bettor gift to give then Tivo :) . So I went to the Tivo website and ordered the prepay bundled service plan for a year to get a free Tivo. Had it express shipped so I could personally hand my Nephew and his beautiful the best of all Tivo. And of course I'm feeling all kind of warm fuzzies, along with the expectation that I'm going to be getting 5000 reward points. :)

Well the first thing I hear from them is they have their Tivo hooked up and they are getting a messsage that in two days the Tivo is going to expire. Well I call up Tivo and found out that there was a problem with the credit card. No problem I give them a different card clears things up right. Well kind of, I now find out that the Tivo is in my name and I can't transfer it because I'm locked into a year prebuy. What??? So my Nephew can't get the Tivo in his name to but a new credit card in, so after the year it will start charging his instead of mine. Also I can't get the referral points because its in my own name and I can't transfer it even though it was bought with the intention of being a gift.

They then say that I can return it and but it again under my Newphews name. Kind of dampens the joy of giving Tivo if you ask me.

Well I'm working a supervisor Cal and he's suppose be talking to accounting to somehow straighten things out. I'll let you know how it goes. But my main issue is that it use to be a snap to give Tivo as a gift before get the box with a years gift certificate in it, the giftee opens the box logs onto Tivo types in the gift certificate number and their in business. How is a person suppose to painlessly give a Tivo as a gift now when your order it on a prepay bundle?

How do you make sure your credit card isn't still on the account after a year?

I think there should be a box you check when you order the bundle to let them know this is going to be a gift.

Jason

2. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    my wife and I have thought about giving my parents a Tivo sometime soon... that was until they discontinued the whole Lifetime idea. Now it seems like a limited gift... only lasts a limited length of time. not really fun :(

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I believe that when you buy a TiVo over the phone they offer the ability to make the 1 year subscription a gift. That way whoever gets it can activate the TiVo under their own name. The only problem is that person would also have to enter your email for the referral and apply for any rebates on your behalf.

Dan

4. JasonD

JasonD New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    San Diego
    Ducker,

I understand your point, I don't mind giving a limited gift say one year, but my point is I can't even do that. :( You can't give a bundled Tivo away, it's locked onto you for the entire time of the contrac t.

Jason

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The TiVo comes pre-activated so buy it in the name of the person you want to give it to (just get their (E-Mail address), you can do this with your own credit card. The TiVo will arrive pre-activated in the persons name. Then after he set up his account your giftee will have to go in and change credit card to his own. He will still get the year or whatever you purchased then the charges will go on his card. Its not a nice system and TiVo should fix it up for gift giving. (he can mean he or she)

6. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I can't begin to tell you how offensive I would consider a "gift" that I had to start making the monthly payments on myself 12 months later.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

You have to trust you giftee to change credit cards on his account.

8. danieljanderson

danieljanderson Proud to preach TiVo

Nov 18, 2002
    Nobody ever got you a subscription to a magazine?
    Would you be as offended?

9. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I would not be quite as offended by a magazine subscription but I wouldn't be thrilled by it. Magazine subscriptions aren't usually over $125 a year in renewal fees. Plus your giving me a Tivo because you believe I will become addicted to it and love it as much as you do. That's like giving someone a subscription to the crack of the month club, for 1 year. Thanks for just costing me over $125 a year on technology I was previously unaware of for the rest of my life.

10. MoneyMINTR

MoneyMINTR Member

Oct 8, 2000
    NJ
    I agree. The new pricing plans make it very hard to give Tivo as a gift. They should bring back the lifetime at $499 so that many people can gift the Tivos.

11. JasonD

JasonD New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    San Diego
    Well Tivo has fixed everything and all is fine in the world. But you can bet next time I give Tivo I'll make sure I put their email in and their name in. And yes you have to trust the person you gift it to, to change the credit card info on the account to their own. And also don't forget to include a note to call Tivo in one year to change it to $12.95 with one year commitment, otherwise they will be socked with a $19.00 monthly charge :eek:

Even with this new funky charge scheme I still love Tivo. :eek:

Jason

12. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
  13. JasonD

JasonD New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    San Diego
    Way to go Tivo!!! Gift packages rock!

Jason

14. MLAKE1

MLAKE1 Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Norwalk, CT
    Hey JasonD,

Read your post and I just had the exact same prob. We got together on a wedding gift for someone - they'd mentioned they were interested in TiVo previously - and purchased the same 1-year prepay with box. I purposely didn't put their e-mail in because we didn't want them to know we were purchasing them this as the gift. Am now stuck with the same prob of this now being under my name and account, and TiVo claims they can't transfer it to their name without us returning the physical box and ordering a new one. Makes no sense.

You say though that TiVo fixed this for you, so it's all correct? Could you let me know who you spoke with so I can try to do the same thing? Let's hope they can fix this across-the-board very soon.

Mike

15. goinjukin

goinjukin New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Casper, WY
    I'm about to give one of the new DTs as a gift to my brother so it sounds like I'll run into the same problem. I'd like to hear how this was resolved as well.