given a receiver with lifetime subscripton

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by samsung, Dec 29, 2005.

1. samsung

samsung New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Let me start by saying I know nothing about tivo. I was given an old series 1 non-directv receiver with a lifetime subscription on it(i called tivo and checked). I have directv and no cable options where I live. Will this work if installed after the directv receiver and before the tv? Also If I hook this up do I have to pay directv even though the tivo already has lifetime on it? It is a tivo model ptv100 (also says model philips hdr112). Can the software on this be updated to work with directv? Any help would be appreciated.

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Yep... It should work, but you will probably need one of the older DirecTV recievers though.

You will have to pay DirecTV for their SERVICE fee, but not for the DVR fee.

The Series 1 TiVo units I think go up to about software version 3.1 and that is where they ended... TiVo the company is no longer doing development for that series.

3. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Well, while it will work, think abou this...

You still need a proper regular D* receiver to work with this.
    You ONLY get ONE tuner, while a D-Tivo gives you TWO - look at it this way, for the cost of the DVR fee, you are getting an extra tuner for FREE.
    The DVR fee is only $6 more & if you would decide to add another D-Tivo, covers ALL DVR's on your account.
    You also are recording the direct digital satellite feed on the D-Tivo, as opposed to the digital-analog-digital conversion using your setup, as well as having a nice, clean integrated unit in 1 box.
    If you act fast, you can get a brand new D-Tivo for FREE, so no upfront cost.

For only an extra $6 month, I think you will find you'll like having a D-Tivo setup MUCH better, in spite of the lifetime standalone unit you have... ;)

4. Valor55

Valor55 New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    I have my Series 1 hooked up on DirecTV.

I have their basic tuner box sitting with the Tivo. The satellite cable goes into the tuner input. The tuner output goes into the Tivo input. The Tivo output goes to the TV. I use the IR emitters on the Tivo to change the channels on the tuner box.

I don't pay anything to DirecTV for this hookup. Since you are getting all the guide data for the Tivo from the phone connection with Tivo and your lifetime subscription you don't have to pay DTV for the guide information etc.

5. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    true but next time you want to watch the news while yugioh is recording you will apreciate the dual tuner tivo. Or if you dont have kids, Perhaps there will be 2 movies on at the same time. Dual tuners work fer me. also consider this the acuracy of the ir blaster usually runs at 98%. I missed too many recordings with my old series one because of it changing to the wrong channel.

6. Valor55

Valor55 New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    I love my HR10-250 with the multiple tuners. But since I've paid for the lifetime subscription, I'm keeping the old Series 1 until its lifetime is over. I have that in a separate room with diferent content than the HD Tivo.

I have rarely had a problem with the IR blaster, I've found a good setting for it and it works well for me.

7. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Sorry! From your post I got the impression all u had was the series 1. That is a good setup.

Btw that sucker is worth over 200 bucks on ebay(series 1 with life) Just thought you might be interested! That would get you 3 r10's 1 free with rebate and 2 more. Sin ce you already have a dvr, There would be no more fee!! 6 tuners!!

8. joeysmith

joeysmith Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Tivo1 is a nice flexible setup - you can hook up an antenna and DTV and have all the channels from both available for recording! i have a couple of spare SONY DirecTV receivers you can hook up via serial cable so that you don't miss any recordings from those unreliable IR blasters. i'll give them away to tivocommunity members - just pay for shipping...