Giri/Haji (Netflix) *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Jan 14, 2020.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Inside Netflix’s Stunning New Ultraviolent Yakuza Series

I've got one episode left to watch of this very good series. The article cited above claims that the series is ultraviolent but the author must have a very different idea of what violence is than I do. Yes, there are some killings and gun battles but it certainly is no John Wick as far as violence is concerned. You have to be willing to do subtitles since at least half of it is in Japanese.

It's fiction so there are going to be some parts that you have to take with a grain of salt. My only significant issue has to do with Taki. I assume that she's supposed to be 15/16 years old. I've known many, many bartenders inn my life and unless laws are different in London, no real bartender is serving liquor to someone as young looking as Taki without asking for id. Also, we see her get sexually seduced by a grown ass woman. I guess that's supposed to be a tender, coming of age moment but if the adult seducer were a man, all hell would break out. Having said that, The actress who plays Taki is a good actress and has a wonderfully expressive face. Almost all teenagers would love to have Taki's freedom to do whatever the hell she wants, whenever she wants, with no parental repercussions.

With Rodney, I'm guessing that the stereotypical sassy gay male character is now on equal footing with the stereotypical black female character.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    About two thirds into the final episode, this show takes the leftest left turn that has ever been lefted.

3. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I didn't know this has been on since January. I'm up to ep 4 and loving it. Long list of very engaging characters. Even the apparently super-evil Fukuhara as played so well by the actor that the character isn't totally despicable. Dunno what happens in that final episode that takes a big turn, but I'll hopefully get to it soon.