Gilmore Girls 4/11/06 "The Real Paul Anka"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by firerose818, Apr 12, 2006.

1. firerose818

firerose818 Now 65 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

Advertisements

Well, it wasn't my favorite episode. I did enjoy the Paul Anka dream sequence and destroying of the wedding dress at the end.

It was nice to see a grown up, mature version of Jess. He could be very good for Rory, were she not in love with Logan.

I was kind of bored with the Luke/April/field trip scenes, although I think I like April more than I ever wanted to. She is adorable.

Here's to hoping for a better episode next week.

-Rose

2. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I think the field trip scenes showed Luke bonding more with April, but realizing that there is only so much he can do to 'help' her. I think he may soon realize that Lorelai is the one to help with boy things. Emily is right, though. Lorelai needs to bond with her. It's important.

And Logan is right as well. If Rory forgives him, she must forgive him. Right now, it's all about punishing him.It was interesting to see him try to argue about actually turning in an article that was assigned. I think he'll work harder for Rory because he loves her. It's no longer about appeasing Mitch.

The dress was awful. Nothing like a coffee stain.

I did like Richard's and Emily's faces every time Lorelai said something was wrong with the town. :D

3. Girlieerin

Girlieerin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Cambridge, MA
    Honestly, this was the first episode that I've ever actually liked Jess. Probably because he's now the lesser of two evils as Logan's character is such a complete and utter tool.

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    That was kind of funny, but it got tiring for me because Richard and Emily aren't idiots. They've been to Stars Hollow a million times. It bums me out when an otherwise smart show sacrifices character for comedy. Or, for that matter, for drama, which is what GG has been doing all season. I'm in the "don't like April" camp, because there's really just no reason for her character to exist other than to keep Luke and Lorelai apart for longer, and there's no reason for that, either. I just don't buy everyone's behavior in that plotline.

5. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL

Advertisements

Yeah, Jess isn't a total loser this time around.

I like April..they should do more with her. Perhaps they will...and now that Rory met her, perhaps she'll see her a little bit as well (yeah, college vs high school, but there might be that big sister/little sister thing).

And why is Lane such a wuss that she bows down to her mom all the time? Heck, she's living on her own now...she shouldn't have to put up with her anymore.

-Mike

6. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Its an Asian thing.

7. Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs Go Blues

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern...
    Has it been decided if this will be the last season? TV Guide thought it might be.

8. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Next season will be the last season.

9. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    She moved back in with her mom. She's currently living at home. The band is practicing in her old bedroom in the apartment. She doesn't live there.

10. Denise_Z

Denise_Z New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I'm just glad Kirk was back. He hasn't been around much lately and I missed him.

11. Stylin

Stylin Stylish Jane Sixpack

Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    What!?! One of my fav ever shows - any details on the cancellation?

12. whoknows8722

whoknows8722 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Two questions that I was not able to reconcile -

1. Why did Lane have a large bruise on her forehead? (I believe this was when Lor and Lane were discussing the wedding dress outside the diner when Lor was trying to follow her parents.)

2. Why was Jess wearing a shirt with Rory's picture on it?

Perhaps I just missed (two) somethings.

13. cmontyburns

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    GG hasn't been canceled. Nor, for that matter, has it been renewed, although it is generally assumed that it will make the fall schedule for the new CW network. The reason the future is in doubt is that the Palladinos, the creators/exec producers/head writers for the show, are not committed to being involved with it after this current season is up (which it effectively already is, since filming is done). The CW has yet to announce whether (a) it intends to bring the show back, and (b) if it does, whether the Palladinos will be involved. If (a) is yes and (b) is no, conventional wisdom is that next season, the seventh, would be the show's last.

14. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Plus, it seems the show has reached its logical conclusion. Lorelai has the inn she dreamed about opening in the first few seasons, Rory got into one of the schools she dreamed of going to, so all that remains is for both of them to get married or seriously attached. Many speculate that the show will end when Rory graduates.

15. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Can anyone tell me the song they played as she poured the coffeee on the dress?

16. cmontyburns

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the WB is keeping their music page quite current.

17. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It's either:

Angst In My Pants by Sparks

or

The Elements by Tom Lehrer.

I believe it's the latter, and, of course, it's not sold on iTunes.

Amazon album link

18. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The Elements is the song the kids were singing on the bus (Amazon had a link to listen to a sample). The song at the end of the show was Angst in my Pants.

19. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    *slaps head*

I listened to the Angst in My Pants sample on iTunes, and it honestly didn't sound like what that song was. I then found the sample of The Elements on Amazon, but the WMV sample wouldn't play nice with Flip4Mac.

20. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Just looked on iTunes-- apparently, the Sparks recorded two different versions of the song, which I didn't know. One's from 1982 from the album entitled 'Angst in My Pants,' and the second is from 1998 from an album entitled 'Plagiarism.' They're significantly different-- the version on GG was the 1982 version. You may have listened to the other one. :)