Gilmore Girls - 1/31/06

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jeeters, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Feb 1, 2006 #1 of 28
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA

Advertisements

Best line of the night, from Lorelei imitating Emily: "I'll alert the corgis".

The whole thing with Paris was completely over the top, but made me laugh anyways. Whether Rory is really that good of a journalist or not remains to be seen. Looks like she's got the knack for *running* a newspaper or magazine, though. Actually, also considering her DAR shindigs, she's probably good at running or organizing just about anything.

The dinner scene at the end was excellent. Although it was maybe only 10 minutes, I'm going to say it was the best *hour* of TV I've seen in some time as it seemed to go on and on and had me riveted. Loved the camera work at the beginning of it at the dinner table: While Rory, Richard, and Emily all fight, a hand-held camera keeps doing hard pans from character to character, as if it's Lorelei's point of view while she listens.

2. Feb 1, 2006 #2 of 28
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I knew what they were going for there, but I actually found it distracting since it was so differrent from standard GG "camera language". Same for the editing in the whole scene at Richard & Emily's house. GG never does quick edits and jump cuts like that. All told it had the desired effect, I guess, in illustrating the crazy, car-crash nature of the evening -- but I found it to be kind of jarring.

3. Feb 1, 2006 #3 of 28
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I liked the massive fight. Especially how it kept jumping between characters, so at one point Lorelai and Rory would be sitting it out while Richard and Emily fought, and later Rory and Richard were sitting it out.
    Then they all got friendly for a bit, but later the fight re-exploded. It would have been too simple and clean if the night had ended on the trashing the Huntzburgers scene where they all appeared to have made up.

Lorelai and Rory looked shell shocked when the walked (staggered?) out the front door after all of that.

4. Feb 1, 2006 #4 of 28
    Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I wasn't a big fan of the fight scene. I didn't like the jump cuts between them fighting and laughing. It was really distracting, to the point that I thought part of it was what one of the characters was imagining.

5. Feb 1, 2006 #5 of 28
    Pam

Pam TiVo Crazy!

Oct 2, 2000
    Austin, TX, USA

Advertisements

I loved that line too! But maybe I'm biased as a corgi owner. My mom didn't even catch the line when I talked to her about it later.

I really liked the fight scene. I almost wondered if it were Lorelei's daydreams at times, but I don't think so. It was unique for GG, but I think it worked well.

And this nonsense with Luke postponing the wedding and getting to know his daughter - I hate it. Just a plot device to keep them from living happily ever after and to avoid the Moonlighting curse. Argh.

6. Feb 1, 2006 #6 of 28
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I loved that last scene. A lot of stuff got aired out. But the camera cuts were jarring, so I hope they don't do that again.

The "I'll alert the corgis" line -- I thought that was Lorelei imitating Queen Elizabeth as a way to mock Emily's imperial snootiness.

The Yale Daily News stuff was way over the top. There's no way the university or the newspaper's trustees would let things get that bad. I know they needed to show that Rory and Logan make a great management team (she's Ms. Inside, he's Mr. Outside), but still... I wonder how the staff of the real YDN feel about this portrayal. (Being college students, they're probably tickled pink.)

I'm anxiously awaiting Lorelei's first meeting with April's mother. That will be something.

7. Feb 1, 2006 #7 of 28
    lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Show was delayed until 10 pm in Indy last night, so we watched it after The Shield. In that context, it was very interesting seeing the cinema-verite argument scene. :)

8. Feb 1, 2006 #8 of 28
    marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Remember what Mr. Hamburger told Rory a while back when he fired her. That she was a great assistant (or organizer), but just couldn't cut it as a writer. Granted, her journalism skills haven't really been shown, but, as you pointed out with DAR, she's definitely got the management knack. Might be a better career move for her.

Unless she's dying to be a journalist.

-Mike

9. Feb 1, 2006 #9 of 28
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Problem is, she really does want to be a journalist. And in order to end up running a newsroom, she has to pay her dues as a reporter, so she can't skip that step and go straight to management.

Well, she could start at the top if she went to work for her grandfather, but I don't think that's going to happen.

10. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    While I'm not enjoying this story line either, I think the motivation behind it is to avoid having Luke and Lorelai have a kid of their own. That would really ruin the show. Luke can get his parental urges out on April and we don't have to endure the "Mad About You" curse.

11. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I really enjoyed this episode. Paris' meltdown was expected, and it was awesome to see everyone rally around Rory and Logan and take charge. It's really easy to like that boy when he's not causing a rift between mother and daughter.

The only part I had an issue with was Friday night dinner, which, according to rumors on spoilerfix.com, was eight scenes long, so I thought it would be taking up at least half the episode. It certainly seemed like they cut things at the last minute. The editing was really off, there was no segue into each sequence, and I really hated the camera angle during the shouting match at the table. It would've been nice to know how they transitioned from anger to happiness and back again.

12. Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs Go Blues

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern...
    I have been a loyal fan since the beginning, but IMHO this was the worst episode ever.

13. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    I think the motivation is to replace the actress who plays Rory. She has a promising film career in the works, and will be leaving the show eventually. I think they found a wickedly smart girl to have the same repartee with Lorelei that Rory did, down the road.

The whole story line seems fake though. Why would Luke try so hard to keep Lorelai away from his new-found daughter? Yes, he wants to get to know her, but he's always been level-headed - he would want Lorelai to have some involvement too, since they are marrying. It's yet another contrived conflict we don't need. Watching Lorelai struggling with her feelings over having another young child in her life after being done raising her daughter would be real, and interesting.

As for the last part of the show - I quite liked it. It showed all the flaws of a family in a short time. Fights, scenes, laughter, alliances between different parties, etc. But, I admit it was jarring in relation to the rest of the show - they should have figured out a way to make the whole show seamless with that ending scene.

I also completely agree with the Paris scenes. Her sitting in a newspaper lined box, having a meltdown, only to take credit at the end - way over the top. Paris is high strung and difficult, but not insane.

I still don't like Rory's boyfriend. :(

14. vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    I liked it all but that scum logan sneaking back in rorys life. I liked the fight at the end it was fun. I loved paris's meltdown I wonder if she will go after rory because she took charge. It would not be beyond paris to claim rory is trying to take over her paper. I could see paris going over board even blaming rory for everyone quiting so rory could save the day.

15. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I expect everyone is going to kick Paris off the paper and put Rory in her stead. This will make things difficult for the 2 of them, and Rory will end up having to move into her own place (with Grandparents' help, which will make them happy) or move in with Logan, which will make no one happy.

I never really minded Logan. He didn't have that many scruples, but I think Rory is good for him. She makes him realize what an idiot he is. Think about it. He was a bit hurt that Rory didn't think of him with regards to helping the paper, and then put forth some effort and helped out quite a bit. I think it will make Logan realize that he's actually good at the paper business and that he would enjoy running it with Rory.

For the most part, the only thing that bothers me about Logan is that he is short. :D

16. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I really liked this episode, especially the long Friday dinner scene. Comments about the speed of the cuts, or angle of the cameras, all make me yawn. Did the scene work? Sure did.

One thing that bothers me, that I find not in keeping with how I came to understand the characters, is the way Rory handled the switch in school funding from the grandparents to the father. She should have gone to their house for lunch, or something, and explained why the change was going to happen.

I don't trust the father, and expect he will drop out of the funding process soon enough. Rory will not enjoy asking grandpa for money.

17. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I'm with you on not minding Logan (although the short thing bothers me, but that's just because I'm 5'6" :D). I have never once understood how he got between mother and daughter. Rory acted irresponsible on her own...Logan might have been pulling her that way, but I don't recall him ever telling her to disregard something Lorelai told her. And besides that, college is where you do things like that.

18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Interesting theory, especially the latter part, given that:

Next week's preview teased that Rory and Logan will be making a big announcement. It could have to do with their roles at the paper, of course, but it could be something else as you suggest.

Of course, that would have to develop very quickly, in the span of one episode.

19. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    There have been a couple small incidents leaving Lorelei question his character. The time he stole that knickknack (forget exactly what it was) from Emily's coffee table and then played dumb about it when Emily noticed it missing. Lorelei was good enough to cover for him.

20. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Probably some bad investment deal that he will come up with to not pay.

And yes, Rory would have to crawl back to grandpa!

-Mike