Ghost Whisperer Season Finale 5/16/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Graymalkin, May 17, 2008.

1. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

Wow, we actually got some resolution on Melinda's family questions!

Let's see what we've got:

1. Paul Eastman, who apparently also could talk to ghosts, is Melinda's real father -- and not Tom Gordon. So Melinda inherited the ability from both sides of her family. Does that make her a Charmed One? :p

2. Tom Gordon stole Beth from her true love Paul, tried to have Paul killed in prison, and then killed Paul when he escaped and wanted to tell Beth and Melinda the truth. And when Melinda realizes all this, Tom tries to kill her, too. Yeah, I'm guessing he's a pretty bad man.

3. That means Gabriel is not related by blood to Melinda at all. So how do we explain his ability to talk to ghosts? Did they ever clearly state whether Tom also had the ability? Did he see the ghostly attorney in his office, or was he just willing to believe Beth when she described the ghost?

And then the mystery at the very end -- six people standing there but only five shadows. Who's the ghost and doesn't know it?

2. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What happened with Gabriel? He was in the previous episode, right? I would think that his place in all this would be explained a little better.

And as for the shadowless person, we know that Jay Mohr got a new show for the fall...

3. ZooCaretaker

ZooCaretaker Lock up the lions

May 22, 2007
    MA
    Do we know that Paul Eastman could also talk to ghosts? I don't recall that.

Can we be sure that Gabriel is really Tom Gordon's son? Or just working with him?

How could Tom Gordon appear to Melinda as a ghost sometimes? When Paul was possessing him? Why did Gabriel know about that?

As for the 5 shadows... maybe someone possessed doesn't cast a shadow...

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Paul Eastman was originally convicted of murder because the ghost of a murdered boy led him to the body. That's how I remember it.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

I watched that several times over.
    The shadow was 5 people standing next to each other, so it has to be either person on the end of the line...
    which is either Melinda's Mother or Ned.

The line up was Mom, Melinda, Jay Mohr, Delia, Hubby and then Ned. As they are walking up to the curb, Hubby and Ned switched places putting Ned on the end.

Unless they are faking us out :)

6. TheGreyOwl

TheGreyOwl New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Unless the Professor was either dead or able to see ghosts, he wouldn't have known that there were supposed to be 6 of them. It would be kind of out of left field for him to suddenly be able to see ghosts, so I'm guessing he's dead. Plus if you rewind it and watch the other characters, none of them ever look at him or talk to him in that end sequence. Only Melinda and her mother glance at him.

7. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    well i certainly hope they are not going to reuse what they did with Aisha Tyler's character...

anyways - i just watched it again and while Mom and Melinda are talking before they join the others there is quite a bit of interaction between Jay Mohr, hubby and Delia... They are talking and hubby touches Jay's arm at one point - so that would still leave Mom and Ned as the ghosts - Mom wouldn't make sense unless hubby can talk to ghosts so - - -

8. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Very good point. And now that I hear he's leaving, it makes sense.

9. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    I watched the ending several times and I do think its the professor who is dead but It looked to me like everyone saw everyone except maybe when they were standing at the curb Melinda's coworker looked liked she might not know the professor was there but it sure looked like everyone was talking to each other before Melinda and her Mother walked up to them so there was no sign there that anyone was dead.

10. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Shoot! My TiVo decided to reboot right at the end of the season finale so I missed this interesting ending y'all are talking about. Maybe I can catch it in re-runs in a few months. My recording ended with Melinda's "new" dad telling her that all his anger disappeared when he heard her call him dad. At least I got that much.

It's funny, I've not had any trouble with the TiVo before or since but it picks that moment to re-boot. Must be a ghost!!!

11. TheGreyOwl

TheGreyOwl New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    When I first watched that scene (where Melinda and her mom are walking up to the rest of the group), it initially looked like they were talking to the professor. But upon watching it again several times, it really looks like they're talking only to each other and never really look at or talk to him. Though they look like they're about to talk to him several times, it never seems to happen. I'm sure they made it ambigous on purpose...

12. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Looks like nobody caught an interesting shot that co-executive producer James Van Praagh threw in.
    When Melinda is in Jay Mohr's office, right after JVP's credit ran, Jay lifts a stack of books and, on top, is Ghosts Among Us with JVP's name, as the author, right at the top of the cover. And, yes, he did in fact write that book.

My wife caught Melinda, when she and hubby were at the old house the first time, pronouncing the word "prison" as "pison".
    Played it back 3 times and sure enough "pison" it was from which daddy escaped .

OK, so my wife caught the first one too. :D

13. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Yes, I caught that. I guess if you are executive producer you can pretty much do what ever you want.

14. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    it has to be the professor but there were no breaks in the shadows so that didnt make sense. And delia could have been just looking into space, not talking to him, i did rewind that part. But the holding hands part is what would make me think it's not who i think it is

15. IDSmoker

IDSmoker Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Boise, ID
    +1 on both the gotta be, because it's the only way he could have noticed the discrepancy in numbers, and on the can't be, because of him holding hands with JLH, since we've never seen her touch a ghost before.... it's gonna be a looonnngg summer waiting for the resolution of this!

BTW, I really wish that the girls had gotten more screen time in their last outfit of the night.... although that overhead shot was much appreciated!

16. TheGreyOwl

TheGreyOwl New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    I don't recall the professor holding hands with anyone, but if that's true then both points could be explained if the professor is alive but can see ghosts as well

17. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    But if the professor could see ghosts, why didn't he see his wife's ghost in the previous episode?

18. TheGreyOwl

TheGreyOwl New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    If he can in fact see ghosts (which I don't think is true - I still think he's dead), it would have to be a very recently acquired ability. There were too many cases in the past when he would've been able to see them but didn't.

But I'm not sure how to reconcile him being dead with him holding hands with Melinda. I wish I would have seen that part, but I've already deleted it and can't do it now.

19. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    As mentioned earlier, Jay has his own new show this fall so I doubt he plans to do both shows...so I say he's being sent into the light.

20. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    At last count I think there are five producers on this show, including Jennifer Love Hewitt.

I guess you could say that there are a "plethora" (click for definition) of producers.