*Ghost* TiVo units on Account

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Jan 20, 2016.

1. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016

Advertisements

I have a Ghost TiVo unit still on my account. Transferred it to someone else 2 weeks ago - and it is on their account.

Obviously, I cannot access it via TiVo Online.

But it is still listed as a unit on my Account.

Called TiVo support last week. Was speaking to someone else this week in Support and asked them as well.

They state that this is a known issue, especially with Lifetime units. Has been for years and they are not sure what causes it and have no way to fix it.

They said sometimes they finally disappear - other times they stay on for years. They have no idea why.

One supervisor tells me he has Ghost Series 1 and Series 2 units still showing as active.

Has anyone found a way to get these Ghost units off their account?

2. burdellgp

burdellgp Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Every TiVo I've owned (except for the DirecTV HR10-250) still shows up in my account. Only the Roamio Pro I still own shows up in TiVo Online though.

I've never tried to get them removed; it doesn't do anything, so no reason to expend any effort on it IMHO.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have had sold a Tivo with lifetime and it was still in my account (they had an account setup) until I chatted with Tivo and a few days later, the box was removed from my account.

4. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    The only real way to have them totally removed from your account is to actually create a NEW account and transfer your current units to it. And of course, as a result, you will likely get a new Media Access Key, which means you can't play any old saved recordings which have been transferred to a PC using TiVo Desktop.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Yes. The same here. I have 27 TiVos that show up on my account list.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    :eek:

7. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    That really is ridiculous

8. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    Were all 27 TiVos on Lifetime - or were some on monthly that others took over?

9. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Partial success. I was having some issues with minis in my Maryland home. Between tivos sold and tivos returned for replacement as broken under warranty, I had 21 tivos on my account. The 2nd customer service agent was able to remove the 2 minis and the Roamio OTA they were connected to from my account and put them into a new account with a different MAK and email. The result is that the 3 lifetime units no longer appear in the first account. So clearly at least one person at tivo has figured out how to remove lifetime tivos from "ghost" status.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. If they are my own TiVos on my account, and I move them to another account of my own, then they will disappear off the list. But when I transfer a TiVo to someone else, it stays on my account list.

I have several TiVos on a second account of mine that I recently transferred. The ebay Scam Bolts screwed things up on my account. Even though they say service is cancelled they still show up on my account and TiVo online list. And they can't be transferred off my account. And once you hit a ten or so active Tivos on the account things can start getting screwed up. Like no access to certain boxes. So I temporarily transferred my Premiere and a couple of Minis to another account. But at some point I need to put them back on my account. But I can't do it until they figure out a way to get these ebay scam Bolts off my account.

Right now my main setup and tertiary setup has the TVs and most devices disconnected(after getting new exterior Windows and swapping my computer room with the master bedroom). But sometime next month I will get things back up and running and will need to at least put those Minis back on my main TiVo account. I've just been putting of dealing with those two eBay scam Bolts again because every time I have tried so far(three times) nothing actually happens. Even though they say it might. So I'm in no rush to spend a bunch of time on the phone again.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't know. I've only had one or two monthly boxes that I've sold in the past The rest were lifetime. I don't keep track of them after I sell them. I know the boxes show up on my account, and usually the names change. But I have no access to them and they won't show up on something like TiVo Online.

12. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    One TiVo Supervisor speculated that it is normally Lifetime Boxes that end up as Ghosts because the new owner does not put his credit card info online. He claims when CC info is put in, the Ghost Machine will disappear.

Personally, that sounds as a possibility, but that is why I am wondering if all 27 Ghost Machines on your account say they are lifetime units.

13. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    What are eBay scam Bolts?

Thx

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Back in October, there was someone on eBay that was selling Bolts and using stolen credit cards to purchase them. So they would buy them from TiVo, and TiVo would ship them to the Ebay buyer. The Ebay seller had an excellent rating over a long period of time. And the prices were similar to what an online merchant had sold them on sale(around $220 to $240) So I guess the account had been hacked or something.

Everything was fine for 3 to 6 weeks or so. Until the credit card company back charged TiVo. Which then prompted TiVo to cancel service on the Bolts. With the Bolts being listed as stolen with supposedly no way to activate them again. Although one supervisor offered to re-activate one of mine if I paid full price plus taxes of $318. Which I declined.

So at least now I have two Bolts for spare parts. Although I would have preferred not to have had to deal with all this crap. Ebay refunded my money for the first Bolt. And Paypal refunded my money for the second Bolt.