getting update with no telephone?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by y2khardtop, May 10, 2007.

1. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC

Advertisements

this is on a Hughes HDVR2

OK, a storm took the hard drive out on one of my older DirecTivos. I ended up buying a new hard drive, and installing a backup file I have had for many years. Great, except that it has the older firmware on it, and I really miss my organized "folders".

Anyway, I've carried this thing over to my Dad's house about 10 times already, diagnosing the old hard drive and getting the new one working. DVR service won't activate without making 1 phone call.

Everything is working now, but I want the firmware update. Will I have to dial out to get it, and if so, how long do I need to wait for the "slices" to come in?? Is there a way to do it manually (I'm technically inclined enough to backup/restore a drive, but that's about the extent of my Linux knowledge).

THanks

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    You might check in the hacking forum to find out if there is any way to update the software without a phone line

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Otherwise, other recent messages here have talked about forcing a call so the software (which is evidently no longer available via satellite) will download

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    And you might have avoided the entire problem by connecting the DTivo unit to a UPS to protect it from power outages.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    You do not need a phone connection to update Directv/Tivo software .

The phoneline is now only really needed for initial setup, and PPV.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

If the latest software version is no longer in the sat stream, then you have to get it with a phone download.

6. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    When the update is available via satellite download, I thought a telephone call was required to TRIGGER the update

And, when the update is no longer available via satellite (as now) the only way to force an update is via telephone

Or... is that wrong... and, if so, what is the correct step by step procedure?

7. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC
    so either way, I need a telephone. I'll try in a few weeks.

btw, I have a UPS on my HR10-250, my good PC etc. This is an old Tivo (we have 4) and hard drives are almost as cheap as UPS's. However, I do plan on getting more, as they have small ones for $44 at Officemax.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You could try Serial PPP.

9. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    I thought that required a hacked machine?

The OP already said "(I'm technically inclined enough to backup/restore a drive, but that's about the extent of my Linux knowledge)" so that would seem to indicate this is NOT a hacked unit ???

10. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    PPP requires no hacking and no knowledge of Linux. It only requires the ability to follow instructions and a limited knowledge of windows.

11. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    What in the world does Windoze have to do with the Linux that runs a DTivo box?

I am confused here... I thought the question was about connecting a DTivo without a telephone line?

12. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
  13. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Well if you want the 6.2a upgrade now, you can buy/download Instacake for $19.99