getting too many "no video signal" messages on my Quad Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tivoknucklehead, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    usually, but not always, on tuning adapter channels. Get them about once a week and it is extremely annoying since the show does not record. I never get them on my Premiere, only on my Quad elite

2. natallica

natallica Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    Hi -

I'm getting the same thing on my Elite. The regular Premiere we have doesn't have that problem.

The Elite missed recording 3 shows last night because of it.

My only solution for when this happens is to restart both the tuning adapter and the Elite. Have you found that to be the case as well?

I have Cox Cable in Northern VA. Who is your cable provider?

-- N

3. dinglehart

dinglehart Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Fontana, CA
    I get away with just rebooting the Elite but I've had to do it 3 times in the last two weeks. I've had it for two weeks...:mad:

4. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    +1

5. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Did anyone happen to look in the DVR Diagnostic screen to see what was going on when this happened?

Massive amounts of RS Uncorrected Errors maybe?

6. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Have you'll contacted TiVo tech support to notify them of the problem?

7. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    A lot of us have, and thats where we are getting the story about the SNR is too high and to get attenuators to lower it down. Tivo is very aware of this issue. There are several other threads about this going on.

8. natallica

natallica Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    Anyone know what Tivo's "target" SNR is so I can check against what I'm getting?

Thanks...

9. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    They told me between 33db and 35db on the Elite.

10. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Who here is using a Cisco TA, and what is the firmware F.1402 or F.1501

sbiller, have you noticed any difference since your Cisco TA was updated to F.1501?
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=483154

From Eric Kotz, Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21643913#post21643913

"I can't say I've seen TA's spontaneously reboot since the 1501 TA firmware from Cisco. There is a known issue on the 1402 firmware, but 1501 fixes it and we've worked with most MSOs to get 1501 deployed ASAP."

My TA is running F.1402, and I haven't seen rebooting issues, but I only have 2 Tuners. The TA rebooting problem appears to happen when using more than 2 Tuners and first showed up with the Ceton InfiniTV4.

11. glassonion

glassonion Member

Nov 26, 2006
    I have similar intermittent problem with my Elite and tuning adapter. (also occurred with my old series 3 with TA for that matter). I unplug TA power, wait for message that it's unplugged from TiVo and replug in. It reboots, TiVo message pops up that TA now in use, and channels return. I assume it's TA instability. Over the years I've had to reboot various cable modems the same way when internet signal drops out.

12. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    My personal experince was that the frequent TA reboots were fixed by a stronger signal level. I would have a situation where the tap on the pole and/or my outside splitters would wear out/get picked at by birds, etc., and the signal on the Tivo would range from -13dBmv to -8dBmV. After getting the outside hardware replaced, and the installation of a Cablevision supplied video amp powering the the three video lines in the house, my tuning adapter reboots are very infrequent. My signal now runs +2dBmV to +8dBmV.

13. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Gosh, I feel SOO sorry for you folks with tuning adaptor requirements. I had to leave TW cable 3 years ago and move to Dish because those blasted Cisco TA's were junk. Always resetting, never in sync. etc. I worked with TW for 2 months back then and could not get them to work reliably.

When the Elite came out with 4 tuners, I had to have it, so I called TW and they told me tuning adaptors were no longer needed. Hurray!! The tech comes out and breaks the bad news to me that yes, they still need them.

I sent him packing.

I called up WoW cable. they came out last week, and installed cards in both of my Elites and NO tuning adaptors. I have HD goodness and none of the hassle.....

I am back in the warm embrace of Tivo and could not be happier.

Good luck with those blasted things :)