Getting shows from tivo to pocketpc?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by cheezus, Jan 24, 2006.

1. cheezus

cheezus New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    E of MT, W...
    my pocketpc has windows media 9... will i be able to play shows from the tivo?

even better, can i grab the shows off tivo directly to the pocketpc over its network connection?

2. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes, you'll be able to play shows. If you have a computer with XP and Windows Media Center 10 it will quickly convert you .tivo files to .wmv, resize them, and place them on your PDA. The PPC can't do anything with native .tivo files so pulling them directly won't be of much use.

3. cheezus

cheezus New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    E of MT, W...
    Well, let's say that instead of XP/MC10 I have OS X.... bet i'm sol, eh?

getting back to the original subject. aren't .tivo files just mpeg wiith some windows media drm wrapper? why wouldn't ppc play them? (media play 10 series needed?)

4. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    .tivo files are MPEG2, but they're embedded within proprietary TiVo encryption. The .dll that comes with the TiVo Desktop is what removes the encryption for conversion and/or playback. Once WMP10 converts the files to WMV - any WMV9 capable player can handle them, though they the resolution is shrunk to 320x240. TiVo hasn't provided a decryption module for OSX. It's expected this year. There are ways to remove TiVo's encryption if needed.

5. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    But even if you strip off the DRM and are left with a MPEG, the PocketPC Media Player won't play MPEG unless it is converted to a very specific format for the pocket PC MP9-- and not even Media Player on your PC (if you had it) would do that conversion for you. Seems the best way to watch video is with the Pocket DivX Player, Pocket Divx encoder (to creat the divx files) and a utility to strip off the DRM which can't be mentioned specifically, but is easily found on the net.

6. jgaermom

jgaermom Member

Oct 22, 2005
    I have used a program called tv to go to convert from .tivo to use on my pocket pc. It has a free trial version if you want to try it. It doesn't work for dvd tivos though only regular ones