Getting Show Metadata to Display

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jtcweb1, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I have a bunch of TV seasons on DVD. I have been ripping each episode to it's own vob file and storing them on my Windows Home Server. I do have TiVo Desktop Plus. I'm looking for a way to browse the list of TV shows/episodes and see the meta-data, then when I see something I want to watch, request the transfer.

Everything works using TiVo Desktop Plus, except the show meta-data. I don't want to convert them to .tivo files as I also watch them on my computer using XBMC or Windows Media Center.

2. msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Your ripped files don't have metadata in them.

I could be wrong, but I don't think vob (mpeg2) files have the ability to store metadata so I believe you'll have to manually enter it into the XBMC or Windows Media Center library.

If however, they do have metadata, MediaInfo will show it.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Your only choices are to convert them to .TiVo (which you already ruled out), or to use an alternative HMO video server that will allow you to attach metadata in a different way, such as pyTivo.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The combo of pytivo and vidmgr will do exactly what you are asking as well as disply cover art along with the file listings and metadata. You really should look into these great bits of software. Far better than the capablities of Tivo Desktop.

5. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I'll give pytivo a try. Is there a thread that contains the setup instructions for the current version under windows? Also has anyone set this up on Windows Home Server?

6. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    And another question. Unless I make a .tivo file the show information will not show up while I'm watching it, only in the pytivo browse, correct?

7. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    No, not correct. pyTivo will transfer all the metadata. (Well, nearly all. There are some TiVo-side bugs that prevent a couple of fields from being transferred.)

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The windows install instructions were recently updated on the pyTivo wiki:
    http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Windows_Install
    There is no longer a useful windows installer -- you have to follow the manual instructions given in the wiki.

9. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I'm getting close. I have pytivo up and running and I can transfer the files I want from the computer. However I'm not seeing the show descriptions. The format of the file names is Show.Name.S01E01.

10. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm not sure why you're telling us the format of the filenames, but I hope it's not because you were thinking that the metadata would be added automatically, based on the name. pyTivo doesn't do that. You have to add the metadata yourself. (There are programs that will automate that for you, and some of them I think will indeed key off the filename. But they aren't part of pyTivo, and I'm not really familiar with them since I don't use them.)

pyTivo will read several existing kinds of metadata, as well as its "native" format, and I'm always looking to add more. But as msmart noted, VOBs ripped from a DVD don't come with metadata. Were you already seeing descriptions for these in XBMC or Windows Media Center after ripping them? If so, maybe there's something we can add support for.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You can generate pyTivo metadata files manually for each file with Metagenerator:
    http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/metagenerator-version-2-beta-t555.html

Are you assigning these file names? If so do you know the Series Name ("Show.Name" I assume)? Do you also know either the Episode Title or the Air Date? If you can create the files with Series Name and Episode Title (or Air Date) in the file name, VAP (see link in signature) can parse the input file name and automatically look up metadata using theTVDB.com. VAP will automatically produce the pyTiVo metadata file as it processes your input file with VideoReDo, e.g., doing a Quick Stream Fix to produce a mpeg2 output file.

12. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Some of the programs I run on my computer can pull the meta-data from thetvdb.com if you name it to match what they have on record. For example The.Simpsons.S01E02 is season 1 episode 2 - "Bart the Genius". XBMC for example uses this system, I don't know where XBMC stores this information.

For my movies I run YAMMM which create an XML file in the directory that contains the movie. The XML file contains all the meta-data. YAMMM will also optionally download cover art.

Where does pyTivo store the meta-data?

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  14. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    does metagenerator do images also? Would be nice to put those in the folder to.

if not any meta generator that will?

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It displays cover art in its UI but where would you want it to put the image? A pyTiVo metadata file is text only and no metadata (including artwork) can be inserted in mpeg2 files. :confused: Maybe pyTiVo has a way to handle cover art now (??). If so, I haven't kept up with the latest developments.

If you are willing to re-encode your videos to H.264 in a .mp4 container, both metadata and cover art can be inserted in the video. I know VAP will do this but you have to find your own cover art. Not sure what kmttg can do in this regard. I don't believe pyTiVo will display the cover art on the TiVo for those files however. But I believe StreamBaby will do so.

16. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    Yeah it is for streambaby so i was hoping to be able to save it from that program in the folder in the name that streambaby will accept.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    So the question is what file format and naming convention that is. I see you're pursuing this in the StreamBaby main thread. There is some info in the StreamBaby wiki but some details aren't clear to me. I've contributed some code to the metaGenerator project in the past, and I think it should be possible to have it output the required image using the cover art it already displays in the UI, assuming I can locate the primary author of the program and obtain his permission. He has been inactive for the better part of two years now.

Am I correct that StreamBaby will use metadata from a pyTivo metadata file for mpeg2 files? I've used StreamBaby but always with .mp4 files that already had the metadata embedded.

18. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Can someone tell me the difference between streambaby and pytive?

19. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    Yeah it uses Filename.txt for any of the formats. As for the fileformat/naming conversion i do not know that yet. I am hoping someone will help in that thread. I am going to play around with it tonight and see if i can get it working any more.
    That would be wonderful if you could add it (assuming we can find the author)

20. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    I think this is really simplifying it but Streambaby only streams to the tivo. pyTivo always you to transfer to the tivo.