Getting Series 2 DT to work with Comcast HD box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by orangefur, Jul 22, 2007.

1. orangefur

orangefur New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

OK, we just got an HDTV and picked up an HD cable box from Comcast. I could personally care less about watching in HD (yes it is nice and I can see the difference but SD is fine with me) but my husband really wanted it so we have it. THe problem is getting TiVo to work. He likes TiVo but not as much as I do - he'd be happy with the Comcast DVR. I have heard a lot of stories about shows getting randomly deleted off of the Comcast DVRs and I like to save shows for as long as I want. I also really like TTG and don't want to give that up.

We've been working all weekend on getting this set up and area almost there except for one problem. There is no audio on the shows that go through the cable box to the TiVo. The ones that are "cbl" are fine but the ones that are "box" have video but no audio.

My husband set up 2 outputs coming out of the cable box - one going to the TiVo and one going straight to the TV so he can watch HD when he wants. I know that the shows that go through tivo will not be in HD and that's OK.

Anyone know a way around this? I really don't want to get the Comcast DVR and I'm not sure I'm up for spending the $$ for a Series 3 right now.

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The cable box has to feed its video and audio signals to the TiVo.

Have you connected the red and white RCA cables along with the video feed?

(The audio lines have to be connected from the cable box to the TiVo, AND from the TiVo to the TV.)

What happens when you bypass the TiVo and feed the box (both audio and the video lines) into the TV directly?

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You may also have a problem changing channels on the cable box when its DVR is working so you could miss some programs, or does you box not have the HD DVR?.
    I had that box before I got my Series 3 and the audio should work fine as i used it to go the an external sound system.

4. orangefur

orangefur New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the fast replies. I just went out and looked at it again and realized that my husband thought there were 2 audio outs on the cable box but there is only one. He had the audio in going to the tivo, now it works fine. We'll get an audio splitter so we can have one out to the tivo and one to the TV.

Not the most ideal situation but a good compromise for now.

OT, but whenever Comcast boxes get TiVo software, will TTG work too? I'd love to keep our current box in another room and be able to transfer shows to an HD box so I can record what I want and watch it in the living room w/ our main TV, even if not in HD. Also, what's the deal with the shows getting deleted - do they control your hard drive or are the shows stored on some server?

lessd, we did not get the DVR with our box - I assume the hardware is in there but we did not have it turned on.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

You'd best get TWO audio "Y" cables, not one.

You're dealing with both the right and the left stereo channels, and both of those need to go to each target (the TV and the TiVo).

You want one splitter or "Y" cable for the right channel, and one for the left.

(Be careful not to do what I almost did once....hook both right cables up to one unit, and both left cables up to the other. :D)