Getting one (and not paying)

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by stonewater, Apr 27, 2011.

1. stonewater

stonewater New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Just my experience but I thought I'd share...

Love the Virgin Media tivo but wasn't too keen on paying for it....

so. called on their 0845 454 1111 number - followed the ivr for 'i'm thinking of leaving virgin media' and spoke to someone in customer retentions...

Have been with VM for a while on XL with a VHD box (3 yrs). Pay by DD. Buy a few films a month.

Told them I was moving to sky because of their better STB. Explained that a tivo would probably change my mind. But sadly they refused (sales only at the moment - I guess they have low stock so aren't keen to give them away to actual customers!)

Anyway - after a painful half hour of explaining why it makes no sense for them to lose me as a customer I tried a different approach.

If they wouldn't give me the box; maybe they would give me the XL package for free for a few months.

Kerching. Proposal accepted. Ok so I'll have to pay for the box next month but at least my service will be free for the next 4 !

All in all though... Not too painful except of course, sales are in india so it's always a bit painful and customer retention had to put me through to them to actually order the tivo.

Still it'll be installed early next week.

I suspect that when they release the 500gb box they'll open up tivo to customer retentions but either way - for anyone who has been stuck with the crappy vhd box - a free upgrade to tivo seems like a fair exchange to me !

Good luck folks - David.

2. °Keir°

°Keir° New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    even staff have to pay for the box dude. why would you get a £149 box for free?

3. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    Well, some people on here did.....

4. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    If VM choose to give some boxes away for whatever reason (Which they have. 1,000 of them as a special promotion)then that is up to them. This is very different to a normal customer wanting one for free just because they don't want to pay for one.

5. stonewater

stonewater New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    @ Kier..

Proof positive that you do indeed work for vm.

You clearly mastered their don't listen training lol.

Firstly.

I am a customer who pays for my service. I guess as staff you don't.

Second. I can threaten customer retention with leaving for sky. I guess you probably can't.

Lastly. As I explained. I am paying for the box. They are just zeroing my XL bill for the next 4 months...

6. louis wu

louis wu New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    So you got a retention deal which is probably far from unique and the thread title is incorrect although I can see why you see it that way.

7. stonewater

stonewater New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Ok.

So to be accurate.

Getting one. Paying for it. Virgin media refunding me the money in installments.

Its not as catchy but I suppose more accurate.

Apologies if anyone was left confused by the original title (and, of course, didn't read the actual message wherein, I explained all of this quite clearly).

And sure. I'm not particularly special which is why I explained my circumstances (DD, XL, term,on demand) so that other people in similar circumstances might benefit from my experience.

Blimey. I thought I was being friendly and helpful.

8. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    The title does sound rather smug :)

It's going to be rather too late for anyone on here to try and pull the same stunt I would say.

9. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    I think other people got them for free as well.

10. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    1,000 got a "free for life" with personal remote control.
    1,000 got free install + no subs for a year.

That's all I know of.

11. stonewater

stonewater New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    @Karnak.

I guess people on here might already have paid but presumably we all have friends who haven't (yet).

The title wasn't meant to be smug. It was intended to make it clear that the content of the thread was how one might get a tivo for free.

Albeit not free. Because of course I paid; but Virgin are paying me back over the next few months.

Two friends at work achieved exactly the same result as me today; both have XL; one has been a customer for much longer than me (NTL days) and one has only been a customer for a year (although he only got 3 <actually it was 2 - my mistake> months free which doesn't quite cover the tivo costs).

@ kmusgrave + cwaring

Other people clearly did get them for free as well. But presumably the title of the thread would suggest that it wasn't relevent reading for them. That was my intention. Not to suggest that I was in any way particularly special; more than as someone who isn't particularly special; you can save yourself 149 quid through a phone call to an 0845 number that will probably cost you pennies...

@ Everyone. I really don't care if you pay for it or not. In my view the VHD+ boxes were both seriously flawed. Tivo is obviously flawed at the moment but it looks like it will improve quickly.... I think it would be fair and reasonable for Virgin to give good (reliable payers / reasonable spenders on 'extras' / people with a flawed product initially) customers a free upgrade.

They clearly don't. I found a (fairly obvious) way around. Mentioned it in the obvious forum for such discussion and get lcase$('FLAMED') for it.

Seriously bite me and pay. :thumbsdown:

12. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    Which of these groups are you in, Carl?

13. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    The second one. Actually there's around eight of us who attended the Sofa Event last year. So I guess that makes 1,008 :)

14. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    Bet you (and loads of others I imagine!) wer in the 1st group instead
    :) But better than nothing I guess.

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Erm... no.

16. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    So you would rather pay for it than get it free?

Strange person :confused:

17. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    No. I meant I wasn't in the first group of 1,000 who got a "free for life" Tivo with a special, named remote. Myself and the other 8 or so members of the Sofa Event received the same offer as the second set of 1,000 people.

18. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    What is/was this Sofa event? Sounds interesting (not only coz you happened to get the free year of Tivo). Is it a VM thing? How does anyone get involved?

19. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
  20. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    Should "wer" be "wish you were"?