Getting FIOS - how to install w/Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Peri, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Peri

Peri New Member

Aug 17, 2017

Advertisements

Hi there,

I know this must be simple information, but I'm having a little trouble finding the exact answer. I'm getting rid of cable tv and getting FIOS, and I need to know how to set it up with my Roamio. FIOS says all I need is a cable card, which they say will cost $5/mo, but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually order a cable card with the install. Is this correct or do I need something else? It's kind of hard to find where to order the cable card on the FIOS site. I figured somebody here probably has done this. Does anyone know how this works? Thank you!

2. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I had to place my order through the phone to get the cable card.

By the way, with the cable card you don't need their set top box if you don't want it. The person I spoke to didn't give me any trouble. But there are people here who have said the salesperson they spoke to told them a set top box is required to get tv service, which isn't true.

3. Peri

Peri New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Thank you. The thing is, you get free installation if you order online, but not if you order by phone. So I guess I have to order the cable card separately after I order the package?

I don't know why it has to be so complicated.

4. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Order regular cable box setup online .. once you get it, addd cable card order and return everything but the cablecard to a Verizon fios store. Can even pick up the cable card there.

5. Peri

Peri New Member

Aug 17, 2017

Advertisements

Wait, it's not a special FIOS cable card? Could I use the cable card I've been using from Time Warner?

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    No, it' a Verizon cablecard. You can order an STB online, and then talk to online chat afterwards and they can change your order to cablecard and it'll keep the online discounts.

I did this a couple month ago.

7. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    Nice! It's a hefty $75 fee so definitely take advantage. I don't remember an offer for free installation when I ordered, which is probably why I just went ahead and called without a second thought.

Overall I love Fios especially compared to Time Warner (now Spectrum), but if you think this part is complicated, wait til the install. There's the whole bit about the ONT and making sure your dwelling is wired properly. In NYC there's the added fun of the installer being some independent contractor, who has to call in to an equipment van rolling around the city that he's arrived and they can come over to deliver the equipment he needs for the install. And I don't know what everyone else's experience was, but the guy spent the whole day -- from breakfast to when it was time to start dinner -- doing the install. For all TWC's faults, they had installs down to a science. In and out in 15 minutes tops -- including the part where the tech would pair the cable card.

8. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Yes fios install does take a large part of a day but once it is installed you are golden

9. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    You'll want the FIOS box for a day or two just to make sure the installation went well. The FIOS installer will know how to check their box for problems with the signal, but not a Tivo. Once everything looks good, return the FIOS box.

10. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I personally recommend using the Verizon Direct forum on DSLReports for changing your order to cable card after making the initial order online. The Direct folks seem to be especially competent with technical stuff, billing is a different issue. Fios has there way of obscuring how to get cablecards, for a while if you called, they would pull that same, "we don't have cablecards" as some of the other ISPs so you had to push/escalate, but I think they have removed the option to get a cablecard at the initial order on their computers now so in a sense the CSR's can't do it themselves, there is no option to do it. Same as the online order form, years ago, the cable card option was right there, but the bs started right after that disappeared. People in their stores generally are not such ******** and neither are most of their installers that I have come across. When they initially did my first install, the ONT was done separately and the actual install did take a little time, but that included replacing all the readily available splitters with the Verizon MoCA 2.0 rated ones.
    Current installs for speed tiers of up to 100/100 can be done via coax from the ONT to one of their routers, currently the Verizon G1100 dual band AC, which can use either coax or Ethernet from the ONT, Ethernet is the standard now along with coax for any higher speed tiers and I have heard that they are possibly doing both for even the lower speed tiers. If you do any amount of uploading or backup you will appreciate those upload speeds.
    Why do they play those cable card games, in my case when I signed up the VMS service with the DVR and small satellite box, like Tivos, would have cost $22 for the "service", and $12 per DVR and small box. In my case that would have cost me $58 plus, a cable card rental cost me $5, and from their perspective that is simply lost revenue.

11. Peri

Peri New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Thanks, everyone - all this information is really useful!

I've lived in NYC for decades and am finally switching from Time Warner (you're not fooling me by changing your name, dudes.) I actually have had various degrees of success of installs and fixes with them over the years, from quick and smooth to weeks of frustration. I have a feeling that in a multi-unit building were lots of people already have FIOS it can't be the worst.

And, just in case anyone else is making this switch, and added layer for installation fees: right now, we can get installation for free if we order online, but have to pay if it's ordered via phone. The fee quoted was actually $90, not $75. However, the phone rep almost immediately said they could match a lower installation fee quoted by their competitors (which I'd have to find and report to them, myself.) Talking with reps over the phone generally gets a harder sales pitch, but it's also good to know they generally have leeway to be talked down on come charges. The same is true of online chat reps, although to a lesser degree, because it seems they have different parameters. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the installation fee waived entirely if you haggled enough. I just don't like spending my time in that kind of conversation.