Getting Back in the game - need advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Alvysyngr, May 12, 2010.

1. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003

Advertisements

I have been with Tivo since about 2001 and at the moment have a Series 2 in the bedroom - I went with the Cablevision DVR because we wanted an hd dvr and at the time the tivos seemed to cost too much - well now that I HATE the CV DVR (the worst device I have ever used) I want to get a Series 3 ( I see them on eBay for like $130ish all the time) but wonder if the Premiere is SOOO much better? It also seems easier to upgrade the internal drive than it used to in the S1 and S2 - is that correct? Will tivo.net work on the series 3? Are there any models I should avoid?

Just looking for opinions

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo.net?

There are only 3 models of Tivo Series 3, 1 is the original, then there's HD and then HD XL.
    There are Network capable with the Tivo G wireless adapter or the network jack.

3. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Will I be able to transfer AVI files (or which files doesn it support?) from my network to the tivo through the Networking? That is what tivo.net allows me to do with my Series 2

4. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

AVI, no, not directly at least. You will need to transcode it with tivo desktop plus or pytivo to transfer it to your tivo box.

TiVo's can only take MPEG-2 files in ternsfers. However, the S3/THD/Premiere do support MPEG-4 but they need to be pushed / download from a webcast / rss feed. All other formats need to be converted before transfer or transcoded during the transfer.

If you buy a s3 just to let you know, you will need two S-Cable Cards, or two M-Cable Cards. Which cable companies will sometimes charge you an outlet fee for each.

The THD and Premiere only need one card one M-Card

If you have a s2 i would look into whether or tivo.com says you are eligible for an upgrade. If you are then you could get a new 45 hour premiere for $239, which is not bad. I paid $700 for my S3 a little over 3 years ago and just ordered an upgrade to a Premiere this past week as my S3 is starting to fail.

I would recommend getting the premiere if you can afford it. It's TiVo's new flagship dvr and the hardware inside is much better then an S3/THD.

5. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003

Advertisements

For a Series 3 -
    Do I need both cablecards to have it work or can I install one? Just curious. Also, Do I need two coaxials going into the box or just one? I will fight not to pay if I just need the one.

I qualify for 20% off and it does come to around 239 plus tax but when I compare to a $130 off ebay I don't see the savings. I know the Premiere is the new cool kid but I don't see the big deal about it personally. The big features I enjoy are in the S3 which are HD, Netflix, expanding the drive easily and HDMI. What does the Premiere do that is so much better?

6. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    With a Series 3, yes, you will need two cable cards. If only one is installed it will render the unit a single tuner system as if the second tuner does not exist. The s3 does not support one M card for use with more then one tuner, hence you need 2.

With a THD you will need 1 M-card or two S Cards

With a premiere you need 1 M-card

With all of these you will only need one coaxial cable.

What the premiere does is fuse tv and internet together. So your guide, searches and wish list will show everything. It will show when a program is on tv and whether or not it is available now on netfix or amazon.

The premiere also has a new processor which is much faster then whats in the s3/thd (it's dual core but only one core is enabled at this time according to posts I read here). Transfer speeds for video downloads are much faster on the premiere box. The premiere also has a brand new HD UI if thats anything that you might consider a feature to make it worth while, but you can still use the old tivo UI too.

Another Plus about the premiere is it's tivo's new flag ship box. Most all support, future features will be for the premiere and may not come to the S3/THD

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Even though the S3 original/HD/XL have dual tuners, there is no need to split inputs from cable or antenna but you can have both. The S3 needs 2 cable cards of either single/Multi stream, but the HD/XL only need 1 Multi/ 2 single stream cable cards.

The Premiere only has 1 cable card slot so, it must use the M card.

8. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    ...and I am not sure that WINmfs supports the Premier, which means that, as far as I know, you can not upgrade the internal drive...yet. These new 1-2TB drives are getting so inexpensive now!

9. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Just scored a S3 with an upgraded internal 1tb drive, extra xl remote and 6 months service prepaid for $175 on Craigslist - gotta love CL! Now I just have to wait for Cablevision to bring my two cablecards

thanks for the advice!