Getting a Premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by fred_spasm, May 6, 2011.

1. fred_spasm

fred_spasm New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I figured I would order the cable service (Time Warner) after I received the Tivo. Is it ok to turn on and set up the Tivo before I get the cable card?
    How do I test if it's working without the cable card? I don't have an antenna.
    I was using satellite with a Dish DVR.
    Thanks.

2. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Yes, in fact you SHOULD turn it on and get it set up BEFORE Time Warner shows up to install the cable card! When the Tivo asks if you have one, just tell it you'll install one later.
    This will MAJORLY cut down on the amount of time it takes to setup the Tivo once the tech gets there.
    Are you getting internet through Time Warner as well? If so, and you know what you're doing (It's not too bad, but I know some people don't like playing with things), after you've run setup and it has you on Live Tv, disconnect the coax cable from the modem and plug it into the the back of the Tivo (Make sure you connect it to Cable in and not Antenna In) and put in a lower channel number. Try a local channel. May or may not work, depending on what they've done outside, but if you get even a few channels, you'll know it's working.

3. fred_spasm

fred_spasm New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I don't have Time Warner internet.
    I was thinking of hooking my old satellite dish to the Tivo antenna connection to see if that would work as an antenna to bring in some ota signals.

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    The Premier really needs an internet connection I assume you all ready have one.

Go through the setup it takes 1 to 2 hours to download the new software and short out the data something the cable guy won't want to wait around for.

After it is setup and you have activated it at TiVo.com test the DVR downloading/streaming the free videos and podcast and if you have an account with Netflix, Block Buster and/or Amazon video downloads are also available.

I don't think you are going to get anything useful from the Satellite dish the LNA will block the broadcast signals.

5. fred_spasm

fred_spasm New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Well, my Tivo is working. The cable service comes out Saturday. Hopefully, there won't be any problems.
    How do I get the Tivo remote to power on and off my tv?
    As of now, there is no response.

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
  7. fred_spasm

fred_spasm New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    So far, so good.
    Time Warner came out on Saturday morning. It took until the afternoon before the service was working. The guy's supervisor said they were fixing something a few miles away and that kept the cable card from responding.
    I thought I was in for a lot of trouble, but sure enough, the service came on.