Get signal on new station but no picture....NOT repack related

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by unclehonkey, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

OK first off this is NOT repack related

The only station in my market (KEYC) is testing their soon to be NBC & CW affiliate KMNF-LD RF7. Since Tivo doesn't have any info on it yet (they just started testing yesterday) I did a scan and **poof** 2 new stations....*7-1 KMNFLD1 and -7*2 KMNFLD2. Decent signal (65 on Series 3, 54 on Roamio) but no picture. V53 error. My TV and converter box logs the stations and shows a picture (well 7-1 is just a slate with coming soon and the NBC & CW logos. 7-2 is weather maps/audio).

Why would I not get a picture on the Tivo even after scanning them in? I get there is no guide but its like the Tivo cant figure out the audio/video PIDS for the picture to show up

Am I screwed until the station goes live with NBC & CW (and Tivo finally adds the stations to the list)?

2. HoTatII

HoTatII Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Last time this happened to me with one of our local stations. The problem was due to a combination of the local station having a part of their signal's metadata set wrong. And the fact that the TiVo's OTA tuners require a fully compliant ATSC signal.

If something is incorrectly configured by the station, the TiVo's tuners will usually choke on it and not display anything but a V53 error with no sound.

The thing is you or someone else in your makket need a PC with a compatible ATSC tuner and a TSreader program installed to check the station's metadata to see if everything they're sending out is correct.

In my situation I discovered the problem station had the "Transport Stream ID" (TSID) in the "Program Association Table" (PAT) set wrongly from the correct TSID setting in the "Terrestrial Virtual Channel Table" (TVCT).

Informed the station head engineer who thanked me very much for the info. and corrected the issue.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

unclehonkey, Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.
  3. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Thank you for the info. While I do not have TSRerader I have conversed with KEYC's engineer over at avsforum. So I'll send him some info and hopefully it can be fixed soon. Right now they are just testing the signal but I wonder if they will go live on November 1

4. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    posted the problem over at avs and the engineer responded right away

KMNF is actually running on a stack of old Tandberg stuff I had laying around, and didn't put a whole lot of effort into configuring; it's entirely possible I overlooked something. (A new Harmonic encoder is on its way, so the existing stuff was hastily thrown together as a temporary solution.)

I'll take a look when I'm back at the studio on Monday.

Trip (who runs rabbitears and works at the FCC) mentions that KMNF hasnt been assigned a TSID yet

5. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

The engineer was able to see the stream via TSreader
    A quick (off-site) check with TSReader makes me think perhaps a particular downstream mux is getting in the way of the PCR PIDs. Should be a pretty simple fix once I'm on site... and a bit surprising/embarrassing that I missed it!

and today I now have video and audio on KMNF...still no guide which is fine as they are just testing and according to the engineer (on avsforum) and the station manager (in the local paper when it was asked) we have until around Turkey Day before it goes truly live. Right now is a "coming soon" slate with NBC & CW on 7-1 and 7-2 is weather maps

Should I try and submit the lineup change to tivo? CW is going to be the CW+ feed that is currently on cable only (so easy addition) but NBC no idea what syndicated shows they will have. Think I should put in the comments for Tivo to contact KEYC to get info on the schedule for NBC?