get lifetime ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by leiff, Jul 19, 2011.

1. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    My mom is moving into her new place that has comcast. I'm an existing tivo lifetimer and am eligible for the $400 lifetime or $15 a month with 1 year contract. My mom has never had to use a cable dvr but she is familiar with tivo from back in the day with direc tv. I'm wondering if i should get her a comcast d vr and wait for new tivo to come out or get her a premier now. Best buy is selling premier with slide remote for $100. If you all think i should get her the premier- should i do for 1 year for $15x12=$180 or drop $400 for lifetime? Or pay the full $20 a month and avoid a contract banking on a new tivo released soon.
    Pemier supports simultanious hdmi\ coponent feeds like S3 right? So you premier owners prefer SDmenu's?

2. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Someone at slickdeals.net is saying:
    "new Premiere with free slide remote for $99.99. Just like Best buy, but by going through tivo direct you get 6 months of hulu plus for free, as well as a 1 yr warranty instead of 90 day warranty.
    The number I called was 1-877-367-8486"

Can anyone confirm this? I thought free hulu and one year warranty would also be good from BB

3. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Does your mom need four tuners?
    Would your mom bother with Hulu Plus?
    Would your mom use a slide remote?
    How long are you willing to wait for the 4 tuner model?

It is tempting to wait for the four tuner, get it for your self, and then give your current tivo to your mom, but who knows how long Tivo will be.

4. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    People are still using the Series 3, is your mother such a TV consumer that she would need/want 4 tuners? Who knows when that will actually be deployed, and how stable it will be once it is deployed. I believe a safer bet would be to go with the Premiere.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If it were me personally I would get a Premiere with lifetime.

However when buying for someone else you have to factor in how much support you want to provide. With the Comcast DVR it will likely be Comcast's problem if/when there is a problem, with the Premiere it will likely become your problem if/when there is a problem.

Good Luck,