Get it fixed or sell on eBay?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jasoco, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jasoco

Jasoco New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    I'll keep it simple.

I have a Series 2 (Older style Feb 2004) 40-hour TiVo that is broken. (You may have seen my Sound Problem thread.)

Well, I've already replaced it with a much nicer model (Rev. 4 Which I love.) so I now have a box I don't know what to do with.

It has no service. Well it did, or does. But it's a monthly subscription. If I sell it, I will cancel the subscription today. But if I get it fixed, I will probably keep it subscribed and use it as a second unit.

So, should I get it fixed? If so, how much does TiVo charge? I think it may be the HD. It's out of warranty of course so it's gonna cost me money to fix. I'll gladly pay if it's not too much.

Or should I just sell it on eBay as an "as-is" for parts TiVo that may or may not be fixable by the user?

The decision will be helpful in helping me decide whether or not to cancel its monthly fee. (Which gets rebilled on the 17th.)

Thanks

2. StanSimmons

StanSimmons Senior Moment Member

Jun 10, 2000
    Flower...
    If you can change out the HD of a PC, you can fix it yourself.

Detailed instructions can be found in http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to or http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com . V5 and higher images support LBA48, earlier versions require hacked kernels to support drives larger than 120GB. See the PTVUpgrade.com link in the upper right corner of this page for the LBA48 CD and for InstantCake images.

3. Jasoco

Jasoco New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Forgot to mention.

Mac user. It's a Mac mini. In other words, even if software exists for the Mac to do it, I have no way of hooking a HD to my computer.

Another thing, I didn't understand a word you said after that second period.

Third, I may be a computer guy, but I'm not that kind of a computer guy. If I replace the HD (Which I'd love to do IF it actually is the HD) it'd have to come pre-formatted and all ready to install.

But chances are it may not be the HD. I'd much rather just get it fixed by TiVo. How much does it cost to have TiVo fix it?

4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    $79 from TiVo and they send a refurbed unit instead of fixing. Since it is possible with patience to pick up a nice series 2 unit on eBay for $50-$60, I would sell of the old one "as is" as you suggest. These faulty units have been bringing $30 and up lately on eBay.

5. Jasoco

Jasoco New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks. So I'll just have to make that choice. I'll probably sell it. I'll check eBay right now.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    What people pay on ebay is always amazing to me.

Many people seem to be willing to pay more for a used TiVo than a new one costs. I am sure they have their reasons but I don't get it. I guess there is some value in not having to deal with a rebate, but TiVo will even gives you an instant rebate option with 1 years prepaid service, so I am really at a loss to understand the prices on ebay.

Thanks,

atmuscarella

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    and a brand new one can be had for $50 with a 12 month prepaid subscription.
    http://www.tivo.com/2.1.1.asp?WT.svl=40SKUtxt

or a refurb can be had for $30 with either a 12 month prepaid subscription or after a $150 mail in rebate.
    http://www.tivo.com/2.0.1.asp

Unless you want one of the older models (a lot of people do) then ebay is a good choice.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Two reasons.

A: you would get the 240 hardware, which is noticiable better than the 540, ant least for USB/network speeds.

B: You pay less up front with a used DVR. For a new TiVo, it is $199 out of your pocket, until you get the rebate, not $49 direct.

9. UKHOOPS

UKHOOPS New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    You can get one from tivo 40 hr referbished one for 29.00 after rebate. Toss that thing

10. Jasoco

Jasoco New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Guys, I already HAVE a new TiVo. I got the $30 refurbished $150 off if I pay for a year model. I don't need a new one. I just need to decide what to do with the first one.

11. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

We know that, we've just been trying to tell you that you can get a new one cheaper than getting the old one fixed. If you don't want two Tivos why bother getting the first one fixed? If you do want two Tivos, then all of the information given is worth taking note of.

12. Jasoco

Jasoco New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    I just got off the phone with TiVo and it's been cancelled. They actually said it'd be $140 to get it fixed. So I said I'll just cancel it. The girl on Tech Support said it was smart to have bought the new one. The guy on the Billing Dept said my TiVo's name (Heather) reminded him of an old ex-girlfriend he once had. He said it gave him a sort of satisfaction to cancel its service. Glad I could make his day. ;)

He reminded me of the multi-service discount, I assured him I would indeed be adding more TiVo's in time. Just sad that I had to let one go.

So it's all taken care of. Thanks for the help, guys.

Just in case: I already got an offer for it so don't bother offering to buy it from me. :)