get HTPC to output RCA composite video signals?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rasmasyean, Nov 29, 2011.

1. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I bought an HD HomeRun Prime and a PC that will output hdmi and DVI from it's video card. I want to also be able to output RCA composite video into some old stuff.

How do I do it?

Thanks.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do either have an S-Video output jack?

3. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    No. The Video card outputs hdmi and DVI, and the motherboard outputs VGA and DVI.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Short of spending around $250, the only thing I'm seeing with a quick Google is maybe a DVI to mini DVI adapter coupled to a mini DVI to composite adapter.

I have no idea if the whole DVI-D versus DVI-I thing will make that a non-solution or not.

If you have a VGA computer monitor, perhaps you can use a DVI to VGA adapter to connect it to one of those DVI ports and then to the VGA port you can attach one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882339047

although like the ATI All-In-Wonder TV tuner card I tried several years ago that might mean having the Windows desktop as part of the picture and having to set your computer's resolution to 640 x 480, or, at best, 800 x 600.

Also, from that newegg page:

Please, check your PC & Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector to ensure this cable will work for you!

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just pick up a cheap video card with S-video or composite output. If they still make them. You used to be able to get them for under $50.

EDIT: I see several cards on Newegg with composite outputs for under $45. One is under $40.

6. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    The problem with "getting a cheap card" is that I have to "replace the good card", and therefore won't be able to play games at decent graphics. I don't suppose I can get a cheap PCI or PCIEx1 card and run that simultaneously can I? Or perhaps turn one or the other off besides opening the box and unplugging it or course.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I would think you will be able to run both cards. I used to do that years ago so I would think you can still do that today(although I have not tried with my newer PC). A PCI card for the composite/S-video out, and a PCIe card for the game play.

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Check out the Toshiba DR430KU DVD recorder for $129 at BB or about $70 refurb online. It has a DV input on the front panel and composite, component, s-video & HDMI outputs on the back. They're all live as long as it's powered up.

I'm using it the other way: as an s-video upscaler from my Series 2s to my new 55" LG. It was a lot cheaper than a custom converter and now I can retire my old DVD player.