Get Dual Tuning working on Analog side of Time Warner Digital?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by hurricanedavid, Feb 3, 2012.

1. hurricanedavid

hurricanedavid New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    We have Time Warner digital.
    We do have analog signals coming in.
    I have a Tivo Series2 Dual Tuner.
    I'm in Raleigh.

What I want is to have Tivo ignore the fact that we have digital cable. I want both tuners to be for recording the bottom 70-ish channels only.

The Guided Setup did say that I will be able to either a) record two analog shows at same time, or b) record one analog show and one digital show at the same time.

The problem is that I am only experiencing B, and not A (which is all I want). I can't record two analog shows at once.

Attempt #1: So I tried, during the Guided Setup, to answer the questions as if I were only a subscriber to Basic Cable. But apparently that channel line-up is different from the analog line-up if you have Digital.

Attempt #2: So I repeated the Guided Setup, answering the questions properly about whether I had digital cable or not. I did not connect the IR emitters, because I knew I never wanted to record digital. The channels are now correct, but the problem is what I've stated above: I can't record two analog channels at once.

Thanks for any help!

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What's your geographic location, fellow TWC vicitm?:)

Redo Guided setup, tell it you only have cable (no antenna, no satellite), tell it you have extended basic (if you tell it you have basic, you'll only get channels 2-13), tell it you have no cable box.

3. hurricanedavid

Jul 21, 2007
    When I said "Basic Cable", I meant Extended. Time Warner now calls the bottom 70, "Basic Cable". I don't remember Tivo ever making a distinction between the bottom 15 vs the bottom 70. But I think I'll redo the setup and make sure.

I'm in Raleigh area.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm about 3 hours away. Usually nearer the hurricanes.:)

I'm not talking about TWC's terminology, I'm talking about the terminology TiVo uses during Guided Setup.

To them, basic is 2-13, and extended basic (or something similar sounding), is basic plus 14-whatever your local cable company tops out at. All analog.

If one of your S2 DT's tuners can get the analog channels, then the other can as well.

Unless there's something wrong.

Actually, without any kind of external box, the only thing the TCD649080 and TCD649180 can get are analog cable channels.

On the back of that model are two threaded connectors. The cable company cable connects to the top one. That signal gets split internally and sent to both tuners.

One tuner could have gone bad, or the cable that runs between the tuners could be bad or loose, or there's a very small possibility of a power supply problem. Power supply problems can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

That's if you have a hardware problem.

I suspect you may be fine hardware wise, but misconfigured.

5. hurricanedavid

Jul 21, 2007
    Yeah, I was just misconfigured. I pretended I had no box.

One thing that may have screwed things up before was I think I selected that I didn't get channel 0 (which I don't), but this time I just told it to pick another channel.

Worked fine.