Get Digital Channels, but no analog

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rmerikle, Aug 17, 2007.

1. rmerikle

rmerikle New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Must be doing something wrong. I got my TivoHD setup with the cable cards. Called Comcast and activated the cards. I seem to get the digital channels on the TivoHD but only the basic channels, but when I go upstairs my old TV gets all the higher level analog channels such as CNBC. What gives? Why can't I get these higher levle channles on my brand new TivoHD that my 10 year old analog TV has no trouble getting? :confused:

PS I have read quite a few posts, but I get confused on what exactly is digital and what is analog. Hey, at this point I'll take the channels any way I can get them as long as I get the channels. :D

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You said that you got the cablecards and called comcast to activate them. Where did you get the cablecards? Did comcast activate them without sending out a tech to your house?
    Have you checked the Conditional Access screen on cablecard setting menu to see that they are properly authorized?
    Did you rerun Guided Setup after you installed the cablecards?

3. dipdewdog

dipdewdog New Member

May 9, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Did you re-run guided setup? Failing that, do you know if Comcast has Analog-Digital Simulcast in your area?

I wonder if you're having the opposite problem I am--that your CableCARD is attempting to tune the digital versions of the channels, but they're just not present to be tuned.

4. rmerikle

rmerikle New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I live in the Seattle area and unlike the rest of the country we can just walk into a Comcast office and ask for the cable cards. Yes I redid the guided setup. It just seems strange that I am able to get what I believe are the digital stations on the TivoHD (I even get the basic HD stations 102 through 11?) and on the old TV upstairs I get what I believe are all the non-digital stations (2 through 99).

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Have you checked the Conditional Access screen on cablecard setting menu to see that they are properly authorized?

6. rmerikle

rmerikle New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Sorry help me out with how to....
    "Have you checked the Conditional Access screen on cablecard setting menu to see that they are properly authorized?"

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Are you saying you don't get a channel with your TiVo HD that you get with your TV or are you saying they are on different channels? My understanding of cable cards is that part of what is happening is remapping channels to match whatever the digital line up is. You can tell if a channel is analog or digital on the TiVo HD by trying to record something on it. If you get quality setting options it is an analog channel if not it is a digital channel.

Good Luck,

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Go to Messages&Settings > Settings > Remote,Cablecards, & Devices > Cablecard Decoder

Then select cablecard 1 > CablecardMenu > Conditional Access

If you have motorola cablecards the info is:

AUTH: should say SUBSCRIBED
    CA enable: should say POSSIBLE
    HOST VALIDATION: should say Valid (plus a number)

Then repeat for cablecard 2.

If you have SA cablecards there are similar fields to check, but I'm not sure of the terminilogy.

9. rmerikle

rmerikle New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    What I am trying to ask is why is my Old TV getting the extended channels and my TivoHD is not getting those extended channels.

TivoHD - Recieves only the basic package that I down graded to when I went and picked up the Cable Cards from Comcast. But I also get the 100's series basic stations in HD. I don't get all the extra channels such as ESPN, CNBC, FX, TNTHD, MTV and such

TV upstairs in the Bedroom - This TV is recieving all the stations it always has. Since it is not HD don't know about that, but it is getting non-HD ESPN, CNBC, FX, MTV channels. The TivoHD is not getting any of these channels.

Of course after searching and searching and not being able to find what I am looking for I start this thread and then shortly there after I find this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5425722#post5425722

It does not answer my questions, but it does a much better job of describing my situation.

10. dipdewdog

dipdewdog New Member

May 9, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Then the TiVo is doing exactly as instructed by the CableCARDs and Comcast's billing system. Since you downgraded to basic service, you no longer are authorized to receive those channels and they're blocked. You can still receive them on the upstairs TV because they're transmitted in unscrambled analog, and Comcast hasn't placed a filter on your line to stop them from getting inside your house. In my experience, it can be months before they filter the line, so enjoy them upstairs while you can. Your TiVo will never receive them unless you remove the CableCARDs or upgrade back to the expanded service.

11. rmerikle

rmerikle New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    As described in the above post I think this is what is happening. Thanks for all the help. I guess I can feed the analog directly into the TV downstairs and use one input to watch analog and one input to watch the tivoHD, but I won't be able to record it. :mad:

I have already searched to see if I can pop one of the cable cards and get digital through cable card on one tuner and then analog on another and from what I am reading that is not possible. I'll probably play around with it, but I don't have my hopes up.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    That's probably it! That little tidbit about downgrading service wasn't mentioned earlier.