Get another CC or wait?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Hogues92, Sep 6, 2007.

  1. Hogues92

    Hogues92 Member

    51
    0
    Jan 8, 2006
    This is really a stupid question, but I'm a very indecisive person. Right now, I have a M-Card in my S3 (long story why I only have one CC) and with the fall season coming, I am debating whether or not to break down, pay the $50 and get the second installed before the fall season. My only reason for not doing this would be an update to the S# that gives it M-Card support. My understanding is that no one knows when the next S3 update will come out and if it will even have this feature (if I'm wrong, please let me know). Any thoughts? Thanks!
     
  2. Dr_Diablo

    Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

    916
    0
    Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    The reason you want a second Multi-Stream card is?
     
  3. MickeS

    MickeS Active Member

    25,953
    18
    Dec 26, 2002
    The S3 only has S-Card support, so an M-Card is single tuner in an S3. In other words, right now he only has a single tuner Series 3 TiVo, and needs a second card to get dual tuner functionality.

    To me it's a no-brainer - paying that much for a single tuner Series 3 makes little sense. I'd rather drop channels and have dual tuner.
     
  4. Hogues92

    Hogues92 Member

    51
    0
    Jan 8, 2006
    Sorry! I wasn't clear. :eek: My choice is to get a second, single stream CC for dual tuner functionality or wait for an unknown upgrade that enables M-Card support for dual tuner functionality.

    MikeS- I think you're right. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get that second card. If I have to return it soon, so be it. I just hate paying Comcast those fees.
     
  5. bkdtv

    bkdtv New Member

    7,902
    2
    Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The Fall software update for the Series3 could add multistream support, but that update is not likely to come before late October, and it could come as late as November.

    The new television season starts in less than three weeks. If you've only got one tuner, you'll miss a lot of episodes. I would get the second CableCard.
     
  6. Hogues92

    Hogues92 Member

    51
    0
    Jan 8, 2006
    Comcast will be out next Tuesday to install the second CC. Thanks for the nudge, guys!
     
  7. rainwater

    rainwater Active Member

    7,066
    5
    Sep 21, 2004
    If they install another M-card, you will just have to buy another S3 or TiVo HD when the S3 supports M-cards so you can just put one of the m-cards in the new TiVo :)
     
  8. Hogues92

    Hogues92 Member

    51
    0
    Jan 8, 2006
    Exactly :D
     

Share This Page