Get $ 6.95 Pricing for Old Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by geekserver, Dec 1, 2011.

1. geekserver

geekserver New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Tucson
    So here is what happened

I wanted a S2DT tivo as a backup for my Mom's 2 S2DT's she has ...so I bought one off Ebay ...for like 40 bucks and it had a all the calbes (rca power etc) and a wifi adapter (yes I know thats a killer deal) ...but it had no service on it.

So I went ahead on 11-16-2011 and get service on it for month to month for 9.95 cause i have the multiple subscribe discount (MSD i think its called)

So today I called to get my (9.95 money back) since I just got accepted in to Grad school and figured I need to start nickle and dimeing every thing to save..and the nice guy over the phone said how about I knock that down to $6.95 instead ... I agreed and got it ...it should be on my account in about 24 hours ...he explaied that I had had that box for a while now and so he could do the pricing for me ...I did not want to ask about life time cause I really did not care ....so then after all was said and done I asked so does it show all the reactivation and everything else for the Tivo and he said no all I can see is that it was originally activated in May 2006.

So what this tells me is that if you buy a Tivo off ebay or something and it had service on it for a good number of years and then its canceled and you activate it you maybe able to get the $6.95 pricing.

2. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I always thought Tivo was leaving money on the proverbial table by charging the same subscription rate regardless of the age of the Tivo. IF we accept the premise that the monthly fee is NOT just for guide data, it's for guide data PLUS software development, THEN why should a Tivo that's no longer being updated pay the same rate as one that is? If Tivo would resume the $6.95/mo rate for the older models, some of those old doorstops might get dusted off and resubscribed. More revenue for Tivo and more market for old devices.

And those that try these old Tivos might just get hooked enough to eventually upgrade to HD models.

3. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    In many cases Tivo will let you pay $99 on an old unit to get a paid up license.
    I just called to cancel a unit after I bought a premier. I am giving it as xmas present.

4. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    I wonder if Tivo would let me add $99 Lifetime to a new to me S3...

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Probably not but you can always try. I think the idea is that they dont want a unit to leave service. So if your replacing a unit they offer you an incentive to keep the OLDer unit in service whereby you could give it as a gift as I am doing or sell it on ebay and you do make your money back that way.

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    On the other thread in the same subject as this, we had noticed that (let's say the vast majority of) people who were offered the $99 lifetime for their old (often S3 platforms) TiVo's were offered ONLY after activation of a Premiere.

In my case I called to try to get the $99 for my S3, and the best they could do was the $6.95. Two weeks later, I call to deactivate my same S3, after having just activated a new Premier 2 days earlier, but the CSR said he wanted to see what he could do for me, and lo and behold, he said I qualified for the $99 lifetime. This was the similar experience for many others.

It was our consensus that activating a Premiere and calling to close out the older TiVo would always get you the $99 lifetime for the older TiVo. Some may have wrangled it without the Premiere, but not many. It seems a new Premiere is the key.