general transponder strength question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by marklyn, Jan 7, 2006.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

I have a general question about transponder strength.

When I set up my 18" Dual LNB dish I tried to achieve as high of a signal on my locals transponder (12) as I could, which is at 100%. My locals never pixelate but I notice that Comedy Channel (particularly when South Park is on) that I get a lot of pixelation there. I believe Comedy Channel is on transponder 17, and my numbers there are in the 80's (trans 17). I haven't been around while SP is actually on to check the strength at that time. Today I did a sampling of other transponder strengths and many of them are in the low/mid 80's, a couple in the 90's.

My question: When I'm aiming the dish should I find the transponder with the lowest signal and try to aim and get the highest on that transponder or is there a better methodology to this? I suppose I thought I should try to achieve the highest signal for the transponder that carried my locals, now I'm thinking I should find the lowest signal transponder and try to aim for the best signal there.

FYI, I used RG6 cableing, I have a 3x8 multiplexer and the problem is occuring on my HDVR2 unit.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You need to find the TP with the lowest signal strength that isn't a spot beam and tweak your aiming to get the highest value from that one. The reason TP12, your locals, is so high is because it is one of 6 spot beams from the 101 position. The others ar 4, 18, 20, 26, and 28.