General stability of Premier versus Elite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by John Cavanaugh, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1 of 16
    John Cavanaugh

John Cavanaugh Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Hillsboro,...
    Backstory: I've had Tivo's for ~10 years (Series 2 and now Series 3). My Series 3 HD died during a power failure on Monday (right before Rose Bowl kickoff). It had worked without issue for the past 5 years but it's death means i'm suddenly without TV (only TV in the house, etc.).

I'd like to pull the trigger on a new Tivo but i'm undecided on which to get and i'd like to have something that I can just slap in and go (i'd like to get back to watching TV!). Two of the things i've always wanted with my S3 were more disk space and faster transfers to/from my PC and I know I could resolve both "issues" with either a Premier XL or an Elite.

A lot of the talk i've read here lately seems to center on the slowness of the HDUI but i'm wondering if there are other stability problems as well. As someone who has used the SDUI for 10 years, i'm perfectly happy to stay with it until they iron out the performance issues with the HDUI.

I also realize that most people post about their problems a lot more than than if things just work so it is difficult to get an accurate view of things. :)

Can people give their opinions on the feeling of general stability of the Premier (XL) versus the Elite?

Thanks.

2. Jan 4, 2012 #2 of 16
    wmhjr

wmhjr Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    I can't speak for Premiere XL vs Elite. Only for the Elite. Have had mine for about 2 months. It's been pretty solid, with the exception of Amazon HD downloads which have been absolutely horrible. I don't use the HDUI, as I don't think I really need it and prefer the much faster performance of the SDUI - especially when compared to the sluggish SDUI performance of the HD. There were a very few minor glitches outside of the Amazon issue. I have not used Hulu or Netflix on it (Netflix has just been pretty poor performance on the HDs plus with the pricing change I killed my Netflix account).

Hope this helps.

3. Jan 4, 2012 #3 of 16
    John Cavanaugh

John Cavanaugh Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Hillsboro,...
    Thanks for the reply wmhjr. I've seen your previous comments about your Elite being stable. Thanks also for your comments about Netflix and Amazon. While I don't use Amazon, I had been fairly happy with Netflix performance on my S3. If there are problems with Netflix on the Elite or Premier, i'll have to look into that more. Thanks.

4. Jan 4, 2012 #4 of 16
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i'm very new to premiere but always had directivos so am familiar with that interface and speed

the hulu and netflix interfaces are so bad on premiere, i didnt even bother with my hulu free 6 months. turned off 'other' video sources to make the machine quicker

in the few months i've had the premiere i havent had troubles with it other than ancillary ones like my router and pytivo, not tivos fault of course. Oh wait, when they updated software i lost all my guide data and had to redo the network but how often do they update software?

when pytivo does work shows are transferred very quickly. i hit a rare glitch but thats probably because of a bad format, not the tivo itself. some things take over 1 hour to upload. encoding issues i'm sure. i went OTA and love the machine, saving me money while allowing me to do stuff easier than my old directivos

5. Jan 4, 2012 #5 of 16
    John Cavanaugh

John Cavanaugh Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Hillsboro,...
    Thanks for the reply newsposter. When you state that the netflix and hulu interfaces are bad, do you mean that you can not watch netflix/hulu on your Premier or just that the interfaces for them are difficult to use? Can you tell me more about what you mean by "turning off other video sources to make the machine quicker"? Thanks.

6. Jan 4, 2012 #6 of 16
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I never heard any claims that a unit was "quicker" with these sources turned off.

Hulu and Netflix work great for me. I hated the Hulu service, but the interface is the same as for other implementations. Netflix is apparently being worked on, but I have no issues watching content.

7. Jan 4, 2012 #7 of 16
    justinw

justinw Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Trust me, get an Elite and you will be extremely happy. If not, for whatever reason you have 30 days to return it.

8. Jan 4, 2012 #8 of 16
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I have two S3s, and just bought an Elite a week or so ago. It is rock solid. Does exactly what it is supposed to. Love love love the four tuners. Love the 2TB hard drive.

I use the SDUI, and don't use downloads (NF, Amazon, etc.). I also have no idea how a Premiere is, never had one, just my Elite.

9. Jan 4, 2012 #9 of 16
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I still have my S3 and it's always been rock solid
    I had a TivoHD and it was always rock solid
    I had a PremiereXL, it was rock solid until early summer then got a bit flaky, even drive changes didn't get it better, but a friend that does not us it as hard as I did has said it has been stable for her.
    I have an Elite from day 1, stable as I've had previously, never an errant reboot yet.

The Premiere is the weak link in my stable.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    First- just a nitpick. The Elite *is* a Premiere. Premiere, Premiere XL, Premiere Elite. But that is important to remember. It is a series 4. So it most ways, the Elite it is exactly the same as the other Premieres, just with a different set of tuners.

I have no hard data (nor will anyone else) as to whether it will be more "reliable". However, it is likely that it will be similar.

I *can* tell you that all the Series 4/Premieres will perform exactly the same as each other.

I would make the decision of Elite vs. Non-Elite on 1) Price 2) If you need OTA capability nor OR in the future and 3) If you really think you would ever need to record more than 2 things at once. In my case, I *do* want OTA (as well as cable), and maybe once in as many years as I can remember, was having two tuners not enough. So the Premiere Elite would not be a good fit for me.

11. John Cavanaugh

John Cavanaugh Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Hillsboro,...
    Correct, I should have been more clear. I understand that all are based on the Series 4.

Ok, i've seen several places in these forums where people have stated that their Elite's are faster than their non Elite Premiers. So while I understand and agree that they all have the same base (Series 4), it sounded like there must be a difference somewhere (different SW bases?) that is causing the difference in behavior.

I understand and agree. There have been times in the past where I would have liked to have more than two tuners - not often but sometimes. I don't use OTA and don't see myself ever needing it. I do like the idea of having at least 1Tb of space and I do like the idea of having faster transfers to/from my PC than my S3 did.

So yes, a Premier Elite or a Premier XL would probably work for me. But as I mentioned i've seen several places on the boards where people have described different behavior between the two, I was hoping to get clarification here.

Thanks.

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes. It is likely they were comparing a Premiere Elite running 14.9 to a non-Elite running 14.8 software. Remember, the Elite shipped out with newer software that enabled the dual core months before the other Premieres finally got the update to bring them up to equality. Any performance comparisons made prior to a few weeks ago are probably invalid (they are comparing software revisions, not hardware, or not a whole "product").

13. John Cavanaugh

John Cavanaugh Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Hillsboro,...
    Yes, unfortunately I wrote that comment about SW bases as I was leaving from work and realized on the way home I should have said different SW versions as I had remembered reading that the Elite had a newer release that enabled the second core, etc. Thanks.

14. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    my gf is the netflix expert and she was totally frustrated by how it's setup on the tivo. just how to look for shows was awkward. it's been a few months since i even looked so i dont remember the specifics. I remember hulu being a tad better but thats only because i have no reference for it as a standalone application like netflix.

also i had a problem which tivo told me they never heard of. i could not see the pics on the services but if i turned on CC, i could see the words. in other words i thought i had a slow connect etc, but i really was getting the feeds, just couldnt see video. they never provided a solution for me, either service. i believe it's an hdmi thing but never cared enough to switch to component long term to test it out.

somewhere in the tivo setup is a screen about other video sources and it lists amazon etc. i forget exactly where i read it on here but someone said when you search for things, i think, that it searches all those sources as well but if they arent listed, there wont be any search of them. I'm unsure if thats the only reason to turn them off or not but since i dont use them, i did anyway.

15. John Cavanaugh

John Cavanaugh Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Hillsboro,...
    Thanks to everyone for their input.

I decided to go ahead and the get Elite. My wife just swapped the 2 S cable cards for an M cable card at the Comcast office and is on her way to pick up the Elite at Best Buy.

We'll see what happens when I get home tonight!

16. Dan Clarke

Dan Clarke Member

Jun 13, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Congrats on the Elite purchase. I would have done the same. I have a "regular" Premier XL (THX certified) and enjoy it when the green ring of death doesn't show up.

Stick with the SDUI and you'll be very happy. The Netflix/Amazon on demand suck. I actually bought a Roku so I could use Amazon Prime Instant Video and select Netflix movies, and I'm happy. The Hulu+ on both is the same interface, so you aren't missing much there.

4 tuners is awesome to have. Right now I have to Multi room what I can..and since anything in triple digits has a broadcast flag and can't be transferred, I wish I had 4 tuners.