General Q about the Subscription Upgrade path to Premiere from HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by GPT999, Jun 13, 2011.

1. GPT999

GPT999 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    MN
    So, is it true when my current yearly subscription for my HD tivo expires, the nice upgrade path of Premiere for $200 and lifetime for $300 will go away? This offer is only good while I have an active subscription on my HD unit? I do have a Premiere currently as well. So once you stop a subscription on a unit, it no longer qualifies you for a better discount than someone buying a new unit? Thanks in advance...

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I think if you drop a subscription or sell a TiVo such that you have only one unit left with a subscription, you are no longer eligible for the multi-unit discount; and that makes sense to me. But if you buy (let's say) a lifetime TiVo HD and later a lifetime Premiere, then you sell or give away the TiVo HD leaving you with only one active TiVo, you may not be eligible for a multi-unit discount because only your first (primary?) unit counts toward that eligibility. Would the Premiere not count because I got a discount on its lifetime sub? If I paid what TiVo asked in each case, why should the order of the purchases matter?

3. GPT999

GPT999 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    MN
    After talking with Tivo, it appears this deal has nothing to do with my HD unit but the fact that I have Premiere unit. So in the future if I want a premiere I can get it for $99 and the lifetime for $399.

I was just wondering if anyone has bought one at this price, seems to be the best price I can get one now with lifetime... I just don't need the second unit right now and want to wait to buy it. Guess the HD unit will be going up for sale...

4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I was told the same thing. Have a HD and a HD/XL box. They say either a new or refurbished Premiere could be purchased and add lifetime subscription fpr $399.

I'm just not sure it is worth it because I suspect a new TiVo is forthcoming which will make the Premiere "old technology" per TiVo and some people here. I would hate to get a box and lifetime service that will not support any new software. (That is what happened when I purchased my HD boxes with the iPad app.)

5. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    A Premiere may be "old technology" when a new one is introduced but it has great features that caused me to buy two for my house....