General "burnining Tivo Recordings" to DVD question

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by TiMo1978, Feb 24, 2006.

1. TiMo1978

TiMo1978 New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Hi there, i'm not sure if i'm in the right section to ask this question but i'll do so. I have sucessfully Transfered shows from my Tivo to my PC and i am in the process of burning these shows to a DVD using Nero vision express. Here is where my prob occurs. When making a DVD i make sure that all my recordings do not exceed, but is pretty close to the 4.7gig space for a average DVD. But every time i try to burn Nero says that i have exceeded the amount of space. Out of curiosity, how much space do i need to leave free on a blank dvd to make a DVD. the DVD says 4.7 Gigs but can you actually fit 4.7gigs worth of info, or do you have to take in account additional space for the title,menu,chapters, and all that interface jazz? I feel kinda cheesed that even at basic quality recordings that i may be only able to fit 2 or 3 episodes of a 1hr show on a dvd....any suggestions or thoughts? thanks for anything you can help me with :confused:

2. eskay

eskay Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Sacramento,...
    Yes, the menus and such do take up space. If you're curious, you can see the file structure of a DVD. Put a recorded DVD in your drive, right click the drive icon and select 'explore'.

3. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Your original files have nothing to do with what will fit on the DVD. The output quality you select in the DVD authoring program determines this. If you want to put 3 hours on a DVD you have to select the three hour quality.