Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by balboa dave, Jul 26, 2006.

1. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    I haven't seen this, but it's a 6 episode British series, a send-up of cheesy horror movies and 80's TV shows, and seems to be a full-on cult comedy. It's worth a look. On the SciFi Channel starting this week.

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I wondered about showing only six episodes. Look at the write-up on Scifi.com. This is so tongue in cheek.

3. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    6 episodes is normal length for a British 'series' (AKA 'season' in the US).

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have only stayed in the UK for short periods of time. Do they continually have new series on? Show a six episode series and then another one and then another one?

5. Jojo

Jojo Geek Girl

Feb 15, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I watched the first episode and loved it. I don't think this will be everyone's cup of tea though, its very tongue in cheek, and features deliberately bad cameras/script/wardrobe/continuity. Imagine a SNL sketch stretched out over a full 30min program.

6. Jojo

Jojo Geek Girl

Feb 15, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sort of. They don't always have a new series every 6 weeks, instead they will pad out time between new series by showing repeats of popular stuff. However, there isn't the same obsession with saving all the good stuff until the spring/fall seasons as there is here, so the gaps between new seasons are much shorter. There is new stuff being shown year round (At least that's what I remember when I left 7 years ago, things have probably changed with the advent of digital TV). I find the concept of "sweeps" here rather pointless. Why save stuff up for sweeps, just show it all year round.

7. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Really, really, lame. :thumbsdown:

The only remotely amusing part was when you could see the prop man toss out the cat into the scene.

8. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    It's much better than a SNL sketch, at least those in the last 20 years. This show is very much like the short-lived Police Squad series (which became the Naked Gun movies), only parodying medical dramas instead of police shows. I gotta think they're taking a straight shot at Steven King too.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    That was simply horrid. First: Either the sound was garbled or those actors do not enunciate worth a damn. Second: Flat not funny Third: Really really stupid.

10. Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    Hilarious. Check it out and judge for yourself.

11. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    1. That's the point. 2. You're entitled to your personal opinion, of course. 3. That's the point, too.

It's all intentional! Every possible way of screwing up a show is being done, to the point where it's almost an artform in itself. Bad acting, sloppy continuity, sound problems, bad camera angles, props that fall apart or don't work all , bad and cheesy music. I'm not saying sparking one or two wouldn't help, but I find this funny on it's own.

12. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I tried to record the second and third episodes and I got an hour of Ghost Hunters instead. Has this been canceled.

13. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    It appears these shows were rescheduled for Sunday night. I have no idea why. A SP won't catch these since it thinks they're already recorded, so if you're still willing to give them a try, you'll need to add them manually.

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    A show I prefered was chosen instead of one but the other recorded OK. With only six episodes, I am certain I will see them all eventually.

15. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Holy threadbump, Batman!

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but this show was recommended to me by a friend a few months ago. I had forgotten about it until yesterday, when my TiVo happened to record it as a suggestion - the six episodes are currently airing on [adult swim].

This show is absolutely hysterical. I guess I'm the target audience, because I'm finding it to be laugh out loud funny. I think the comparison to Police Squad is apt, but I actually find it to be funnier than that, though several of the same types of gags get used (awkwardly fending off inanimate objects that are attacking, etc).