Gargantuan Gaping Hole in Parental Controls with Live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by geoffsh, Sep 1, 2011.

1. geoffsh

geoffsh New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I've confirmed that the following is a bug in both Tivo Premier and Series3, but oddly not Series2 Tivos. Its hard to believe that TIVO is not aware of this. Here is the deal: There are TV ratings limits, like PG, TV14, and MA. You can also fine-tune the TV ratings based on D=Dialog, L=Language, S=Sex, and V=Violence. For each of the foregoing, you can set a max rating. For example, you set an overall max rating of TV14, but set L=PG. If you were to do this, then any TV14 shows would be allowed so long as they don't have an "L" in the rating. In effect, you would be saying, "allow any show that is up to D=TV14, S=TV14, V=TV14 but block it if it has an "L" in the rating." Make sense? This works fine with recorded TV, but not Live TV. With Live TV, TIVO only pays attention to the overall rating you've set, and ignores the ratings you've set for D,L,S, and V. It is very frustrating.

Without entering any PIN, your kid can sit there and watch a show as TIVO is recording it. If your kid turns around and tries to watch the show again, after it was recorded, *then* and *only then* will TIVO prompt for the PIN.

The bottom line is that the setting values for D,L,S,and/or V is useless because of this gaping hole in parental controls with regard to live tv. To get proper filtering, you need to set the max overall rating to the lowest value you are willing to tolerate for each of these ratings.

After catching my kids watching objectionable content several times and accusing them of hacking the TIVO or figuring out the PIN, I finally realized that the problem was strictly with LiveTV, and confirmed it by making sure that Parental Controls were on, and then testing it.

So, I decided to see if Kidzone would solve the problem. Wow! It solved the problem, but created a bunch of new ones, that also are definately bugs. The most obvious bug is the fact that LiveTV shows in KidZone have the channel banner flash randomly and repeatedly throughout the entire show. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes, the banner flashes on and off every second or two. Other times, we can go 15 minutes or so without seeing the banner flash on and off, but it happens more often then not. The next problem is with exiting KidZone. When you exit, the TIVO basically freezes on a blank screen about 25% of the time. When this happens, you have to unplug and re-plugin the Tivo, and then wait. This problem is with Premier, but I have not tested it on Series3. Somewhat related to this is the fact that if you always put your Tivo in standby when done watching, when you try to take it out of standby it will frequently freeze. I exchanged one TIVO for this problem but now see that it is software related because it happens with Kidzone, and I've confirmed it happens with Standby with my new TIVO. Finally, many TIVO features are so dumbed-down in Kidzone that its almost unusable as a DVR. My kids hate it because of the usability issues. No guide is one major problem. Not being able to enter a channel number is a hideously ridiculously most frustrating and annoying "feature." To change channels, you may either push the channel up or channel down buttons, but that's it! I am seriously considering exploring other non-Tivo DVR's. I've been a loyal Tivo customer since the Philips series 1 came out, but it seems Tivo is not willing to fix their bugs nearly as well as they are hyping features.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This has been posted a few times. There was a similar issue a couple years ago and it took TiVo about a year and a half to fix it. Don't expect this to be fixed anytime soon if they bother at all. They dont care.

3. geoffsh

geoffsh New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not surprised that this has been previously posted. I tried to search the forum for these or similar issues but there are so many threads that appear that its tough to navigate through them. Its too bad they don't fix their bugs. There is something deceptive about promoting features that they have probably known for years do not work or are so buggy that they are unusable.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Call TiVo and complain.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I can't seem to find the other thread about this. I'm not sure it's the exact same issue but I do know it took around a year and a half for them to fix it.

Maybe you should complain to one of those parent groups that always complain about TV content?

Complaining to Tivo will get you nowhere. They DO NOT CARE.