Garbage collection???

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by duhmel, Oct 17, 2020.

1. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005

Advertisements

I replaced the HD and had the capacitors fixed but my Series 3 HD unit still resets and freezes randomly. The reset usually is related to downloading via PyTivo and the freeze happens at the end of a update cycle. After I do a clear and delete the interruptions are less for a few days. I have noticed that even after a few days of good updates the GC does not update unless I disconnect the tuning adapter. I have also replaced the TA and cable card with no change. I have lifetime service on the unit but can't get it to work longer than 3-4 days at a stretch.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sounds like a heat issue. The CPU has to work harder when unpacking new data and when transferring via pyTivo it's running harder to encrypt and remux the .tivo file.

Been a while since I looked inside a S3. Does the CPU have a heay sync? If so maybe removing it, cleaning it, and reapplying new thermal paste would help.

3. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Tivo 2020-10-17 001.JPG Tivo 2020-10-17 001.JPG

4. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    I assume that the CPU is under the silver piece. How do you remove the heat sync?

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Looks right. Does it screw on? Or is it just stuck down?

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    The GC problem has been around since tuning adapters were foisted upon us. At least for me...
    The only way to get past the S03 error is to do what you have done, that is disconnect the tuning adapter.
    Then let tivo chew and chew until GC completes. This can take a few hours or a couple of days.

7. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Would GC backup cause freezes? I disconnected the TA and after an update the GC updated to the present day. Before disconnecting the TA the GC wouldn’t update even after a successful update and would often freeze shortly after the update.

8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I've never seen a "freeze" condition due to failure to GC.
    My S-3 OLED tivo fails to complete a call home, result is a S03 error.
    Eventually if S03 error goes unchecked. A warning that guide data will run out in X days appears on the tivo central screen.

9. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Any instances of TA causing freezes and disconnecting TA allows freezes to go away?