Game Shows - Bring Em Back!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jul 12, 2007.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell

Advertisements

What game shows would you like to see brought back?
    Let's try to avoid a huge list, because that's just pointless...try to keep it within the top 2 or 3 or so you'd like to see back.

For me...Greed, Press Your Luck (Whammy is too Double Dare-ish) and while not a traditional game show, I'd like to see Fear Factor back...sure, at the end it was kinda stupid with pretty people exclusively, but I'm enjoying the replays on F/X.

2. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Match Game
    and
    Let's Make a Deal

Would love to see those back!

3. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Love Connection
    The Dating Game
    Match Game (but you'd need to get some good comedians)

4. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I'd like to go back to the 80s version of Wheel of Fortune where after each round, the winner spent the money they won on items that Vanna would introduce.

I enjoyed Press Your Luck too. They could bring that back.

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

I'd definitely like to see Greed back, as well as that "Quiz-Show" type game called "Twenty One" on NBC. Basically, I love trivia games and the more questions per show, the better. That's why I love Jeopardy!

6. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    NewlyWed Game and Lets make a Deal.

7. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    yeah Let's Make a Deal would be awesome now! :D

and Press your luck

8. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Big bucks.... Big bucks... No whammies!

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I'm changing my vote away from Fear Factor and over to The Mole...also not a traditional game show, but all 2 seasons were definitely entertaining. It would probably be a little difficult to bring back Anderson Cooper to the show though.
    But no...not Celebrity Mole.

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Card Sharks
    Press Your Luck

11. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Scrabble with Chuck Woolery. I loved that show so much!

And I'll second The Mole even though it's not quite a game show.

12. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Classic Concentration and Let's Make a Deal

13. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    +1 to the Mole. Not the Celebrity version. I've been catching some repeats on Fox Reality but I can't seem to keep up with their scheduling. I would also like to see Let's Make a Deal come back. Press Your Luck was usually entertaining.

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    how'd I forget CARD SHARKS!!

I thought I saw a commercial for a new one w/ the percentages like card sharks had.

15. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I'll add my vote for The Mole

They did redo Press Your Luck on GSN.

Card Sharks FOR SURE!

and Match Game.

P.S. I wish GSN would go back to the old format of showing the classic gameshows :(

16. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I'm going back a bit here...I can limit it to four:
    High Rollers (the three-column version, but with up to five prizes per column like NBC had)
    Concentration
    Gambit
    College Bowl (which still exists - USC won the national championship a few months ago - but the organizers charge the schools an arm and a leg with nothing in return, when it should be the other way around)

The problem with bringing back shows like High Rollers and Concentration is, it's almost impossible to have a five-a-week game show today where they continue from one day to the next (Jeopardy has returning champions, but that's about it in terms of continuity). With High Rollers and Gambit, you can probably get around this by playing the bonus game after every game instead of every 2-out-of-3 match (this is how they did weekly syndicated High Rollers in the 1970s), but this is much harder to do with Concentration (they tried forcing the second game each day to end on time, but that didn't work out too well).

As for some of the other suggestions...

The Match Game/Hollywood Squares hour had Arsenio Hall and Michael "human sound effects machine" Winslow, but that didn't stop it from crashing and burning. Also, the two attempts to bring it back in the 1990s suffered from severe format change problems. They need to keep the 1970s format (the only change that would work is, every celebrity plays every round), and have regular and semi-regular celebrities who understand the concept and the spirit of the show.

Greed was a good show; however, Twenty-One had serious problems when it was brought back. They kept changing the prize structure (NBC wanted the show to give away more money than Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?); the bonus round was almost an afterthought; having every question be multiple choice didn't fit (probably borrowed from Millionaire, to make it easier for home viewers to play along); the "three strikes" rule didn't work too well either.
    However, the main problem was Maury Povich; he not only had little clue what he was doing, but he actually gave some contestants clues as to what to do. For example, if a player got 21, and then the other player chose a question that would get this player to 21 as well, Maury would tell the second player that the first one had 21, and the second player would realize that there's no need to hold onto their "offstage partner" as an incorrect answer ends the game. Also, if the first player gets three strikes, Maury would tell the second player this before the second player chose a point level, and the second player, realizing that any correct answer would win, chose the 1-point question.

Here's how I'd change Twenty-One: I would make it a "race to 21" rather than letting the players decide if they wanted to stop at any point, limit each category to 1-5 point questions (you need the isolation booths in case both choose the same question), get rid of multiple choice (except maybe for the lower-level questions), don't penalize wrong answers, and have the prize $25,000 per game, with the prize increased by $25,000 each time there was a 21-21 tie and the players had to start over.
    (Another idea: instead of 1-5 points, make each category 1-6, and in order to get 21 (which happens to be 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6), a player has to answer a question from six categories, each with a different point level.)

-- Don

17. Skittles

Skittles West Coast citizen!

May 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    The Mole, but ONLY if Anderson Cooper comes back.

18. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Definitely The Mole. And +1 to Anderson Cooper. ;)

19. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Didn't they try to bring back "Lets make a deal" just one off the top of my head would be "Password"

20. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    OH - forgot about this show! yes - The Mole! :up: :up: