Game of Thrones: The Wolf and the Lion 5/15/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JETarpon, May 16, 2011.

1. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003

Advertisements

Wow, they certainly weren't subtle about Loras and Renly, were they?

I was disappointed we didn't see any of Dany this week.

2. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    There were a lot of names thrown around that I didn't recognize. Rewound the part with Arya hiding in the dragon skulls and still didn't recognize 1 of the 2 men who were talking (figured it out later during the Robert/Ned argument at the meeting).

I'm going to have to read the EW recap to figure out what I missed.

oh, and Robert's bastard blacksmith absolutely had blue eyes (they showed it in the "previously on")

3. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    what a great series, each episode is better than the last imo. this one was simply outstanding.

4. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    one thing that didn't make sense to me (and still doesn't) is the scene a couple of episodes ago (replayed in the "previously on") when Ned first enters the palace and talks with Jaime.

Ned basically calls Jaime a coward and a lousy fighter (he tells him that he picks his opponents well and that he killed the king from the back). That he is just a pretty boy with a sword.

But later, we hear how Jaime fought in many wars; which contradicts the coward label.

And in this episode, Jaime fought Ned well and didn't seem to need the 50-man backup (yes, I know about the stab from the back). It sure didn't look like Jaime was not a good fighter.

5. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...

Advertisements

oh, another "strange thing":

The old King's Hand just died a few months ago. But his wife has been crazy for 5 years now (I think that's what was said). And surely, that boy she is still nursing is 6 or 7. So, she did not go crazy because her husband was killed. And it's strange that John (I think his name is John) would have let his son nurse while still alive.

I did like how mesmerized Ned's guard was with the prostitute :D

6. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Jaime has always been recognized as an extremely competent fighter. Remember the scene where we learned about the dagger that was used in the attempt on Bran? Littlefinger said he had "bet on Jaime Lannister, as any man would". The Knight of Flowers unseating Jaime was as unexpected as doing the same to the Mountain. Everyone simply assumes Jaime will win. He's very good.

7. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    It certainly seems that way. Hence, my confusion about that scene in the palace where Ned calls him a coward and a pretty boy in a shiny armour suit.

8. 3D

3D Active Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Plantation, FL.
    He's a pretty boy because, well, he's a pretty boy. Ned calls him a coward because he killed the previous king, the one he had sworn to protect, by stabbing him in the back. Based on Ned's strict compliance with all things honorable, this (i.e., killing the king without looking him in the eye) makes Jaime a coward in spite of any other evidence to the contrary. At least that's my take.

Edited for clarification.

9. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    I never did figure out who Arrya overheard in the catacombs. Glad they cleared that up for me. I figured on of them was Varys but I couldn't figure out who he was talking too.

10. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    They haven't been subtle about any of the relationships so far.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I liked the "Ruh, roh!" look on Lady Stark's face when she realized her sister is batshit crazy.

"Whores don't sink."

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The other one was Illyrio, but only because I read it in some review. I thought he was with the Targaryens in Dothroki land? Do we know what side he is playing?

Maybe Jon Arryn was in King's Landing for years w/o his wife. That may have even contributed to her bat-craziness.

+1. They really should have made this a 13 episode or more season. Ten feels like we're getting shortchanged.

13. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I thought that as well. He was too fat to be the guy with the Dothkari and the trip would have been too long, but I couldn't place the actor or the name. The EW recap was the key!

well, they made a point of saying that she ran away from King's Landing after Jon was killed. So I'm not sure what's going on there. Also, Tyrion was shocked to see how nuts she was. If she lived in King's Landing, he should not have been surprised. I feel like I'm missing some important detail, but I have no idea what.

you're wrong about that. 20 episodes is the minimum :D

14. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Not a bad days work for that child actor - "can we do another take, I dont feel like I got that scene just right!" ;)

15. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Heh, I said to my friend after Littlefinger made the comment, well looks like HBO's not going to be subtle about it.

Then after the Loras/Renly scene I said, well looks like Littlefinger was too subtle.

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I think I'm confusing Illyrio and Ser Jorah. And I only say that because I read the EW recap (always good for a laugh!) and now I'm even more confused.

I was doing ok with the characters up till now. Or maybe I wasn't and just didn't realize it.:rolleyes:

17. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Illyrio was the fat man that helped arrange the marriage between Dany and Khal Drogo. You saw him in the first episode, in Pentos, not quite the Drothraki lands, but across the Narrow Sea. It has now been several months since then and it's a "Narrow Sea."

18. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    Wiki may help... Ser Jorah is the one with Dany and the Dothraki, condemned to death by Eddard Stark. His father is part of the Night Watch...

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jorah_Mormont

19. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    But, why would they be subtle about it? It's HBO. There's been plenty of *way* more explicit guy-on-guy, starting with 2001's Queer as Folk, right up through True Blood.

I would have had no expectation that they would shy away from this.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Kink Robert's Lannister manservant lackey cracks me up every time I see him.